Class Specific Promotions have got to go...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Comand'zorz' Asz, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

in the same window as the regular promotions, after the regular promotions, showing up in the menu depending on what class is selected.
    Class specific promotions should be differentiated by an icon or a colour.

This is because the drop down menu is difficult to find or to help a newbie to find. You know it to be true. :D

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

gui redesign is an (afaik already planned) issue for 2.26 and from what i heard so far the premise will be less clicks anyway ...

very vague right? but you wont hear much more from devs either ;)

3. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

There's words there, I don't know what that means!
    Thanks for the response.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

dont worry, i dont get your reply either ;)

if its meant to be insulting, go fuck yourself! i refuse to abide to any standards when typing shit on a forum unless its really important ... its not worth my time

if not im sorry - all i said was that this basically is planned already. not the exact feature you described, but the new vgui is intended to be more userfriendly by getting rid of most tabs and dropdown lists ... at least thats what was said

5. Empty

Empty Member

I'm not entirely sure what this thread is even talking about, it's crappily worded and doesn't give any real reasoning behind whatever the idea is in the first place.

Put more effort into suggestions please.

6. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Ah, well it was just an interface suggestion to ditch the 'class specific' promotions menu and just have the class specific promotions show up alongside they others, differentiated graphically.

But flashce says its gonna be taken care of.

Sorry for making the thread like that - it's supposed to attract angry empires vets to the thread to flame a very stupid idea, tricking them into reading me reasonable(y stupid) idea. :cool:

7. red7204

red7204 Member

When I first picked up Empires over a year ago, when I started playing I saw the general abilities in class screen, I got that. But then when I read there were other class specific abilities I could not find them.

I played without even know you had to select the menu that has the general, and scroll down to class specific. I think what the op is saying is that people don't immediately pick up that there are class specific abilities because that option is not immediately visible when selecting a class and abilities.

I don't know how much empires has changed in a year but it was not immediately apparent there other abilities unless someone read the manual or read it somewhere else. Reading wikis and manuals is great and much can be learned from them, but I think many people who pick up a game to see what it is like or a mild interest might not go that far. Empires is complicated enough that reading a manual helps a lot. But empires being as complicated as it is might not hold mildly interested people. This is a hybrid rts and fps, only other games I know that are like this is the Savage series, and the Battlezone 2: Battle Commander which is may be 8-10 years old. Empires is not like Warcraft or EVE that has a lot of complicated stuff that holds that type of crowd, and not a straight forward FPS either where there is nothing but guns to upgrade or choose from. Look at some of the other source mods like dystopia and eternal silence, they are complicated mods and are rarely played now. I hope a tutorial will be made for empires to help new people adjust to how the game works.

Even a year ago and now it seems like there are only 40-80 dedicated players not all on at the same time, even yesterday I joined a server with maybe 8-10 players and most of them did not know what the cv was, how to spawn, building vehicles, etc. There is stuff that I didn't learn until I started playing again a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  8. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Well said.
    I think Eternal Silence is pretty intuitive...
    In fact, I want it to have a Command Ship :P

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

You are going to fit right in in there fourms

10. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

I don't have to take shit from a fricken hamster. :o
    Seriously though...ES is WASD that's it. Anyone who's ever played battlefield, battlefront or hell, Empires, should have no trouble playing that shit...