Cinematic effects in empires.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chris0132', Apr 6, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I know this is probably right at the bottom of the todo list, but I think it's worth discussing nonetheless if only because I think it's one of the least worked on but most important aspects of a game.

I think empires is prime ground to start adding new visual effects to a source game. For one thing it is already quite lax in it's attention to realism, so there's no issue of constraint when it comes to the visual effects other than making it fit the mood, which can easily be done while still being spectacular.

Let's take the rocket launchers as an example, the HL2 rocket effect is really old, not just in terms of age but in terms of every source mod in existence uses it, the only exception being team fortress which uses a slightly different one.

I think the rocket effects can be vastly improved. One game I've always liked the rocket effects in is company of heroes, when a unit shoots a rocket launcher you get a great burst of flame and a flash of light, and this massive glowing thing comes flying out, trailing smoke and fire, and smacks into an enemy tank.

Even if it doesn't kill the thing it looks cool as hell, and imagine how awesome it would be to be able to fire something like that. Attention to detail in weaponry is something games really lack, but it also something which empires has got right in some cases, namely things like the BE SMG2, that's a gun that feels cool to use because of the sound, the fact that it sucks ass in most situations is entirely beside the point. If you can have fun simply shooting a gun, it adds massively to the game. I think all guns in empires need to have this attention paid to them, the animations need lots of clicking and generic 'lock and load' sounds, and things like rockets need massive firey trails and impressive explosions, cannons could kick up dust when fired and have big barrel recoil and muzzleflashes, and things like gun muzzleflashes could do with being a bit longer. Watch equilibrium and see how it has massive muzzleflashes, then see how cool it is to watch the gunfights.

I really can't stress how getting pyrotechnics into every available nook and cranny is an excellent thing. Obviously you have to watch the performance, but I'm sure there is room for expansion.

It would also solve what appears to be the main gripe with empires aside from the learning curve, which is that it looks a bit crap, which I think is mainly because it looks like HL2 in a lot of places, and I'd really like to see it changed.

If you can think of any other improvements in this area then post them.

Or even if you can't, post anyway and tell me how awesome I am.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Some good Ideas - I like your rocket idea especially. grenadier rocket sorta boring..

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

I was working on a few different things, but then I had to reinstall windows and haven't got back around to reinstalling photoshop yet. :/

4. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

Decals and effects i believe what makes a game successful :

BF1942 loved it and hated it-
    -reason1 = [not linked] Hit registration
    -reason2 = BORING EXPLOSIONS [except the bigass bang of tnt thingies! :D

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Give the sound of the nf heavy rifle more BOOOOOOOOOOM, hey its 50cal

Give the railgun "air tunnel" effect

Make a big explosion if a vehicle loses more than one plate of armor at once

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I made some rocket models that I sent over to Krenzo a long time ago; they never really got implemented; guess they didn't really like them :p

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5813/bioml002jq8.jpg
    http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6505/homingmlzk8.jpg
    http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8363/nuke003fx8.jpg

I think I even compiled the last one at one point; and used that one in my game instead of the regular HL2 rockets; it made a big but yet very subtle diffrence...

To help the dev team out I think we need to brainstorm effects that the users can make themselves; much like the current explosions...

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

When the particle editor comes out I'll get to making some effects.

I see no reason why I can't do all particle effects like that.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I cant think of a reason why they dont want to use those rockets.

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm pretty sure Krenzo said he liked those. (could be wrong but :p )

EDIT: Not wrong :p

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  10. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

11. Chahk

Chahk Member

I don't think Chris is talking about rocket models, but rather the stuff that you actually see for longer than 1/425th of a second ;)

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Rocket models would be fine, you do actually see them quite a bit, or at least you would if they were as different as that.

13. Sherbie

Sherbie Member