Changes to Walls

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Kittamaru, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru

Kittamaru Member

I think walls need a little more flair, and separation... commanders and engie's don't need the same walls, do they?

Commander -

Basic Wall - Similar to current wall, but half the height. Same HP. Has two upgrade paths that require Mechanical Engineering AND Chemical Engineering to utilize:

Path 1:
    Defensive Fortification, lvl 1 - 5 seconds, 10 resources- upgrades wall to current height, +25% HP.
    Defensive Fortification, lvl 2 - 10 seconds, 20 resources- +25% more HP, add's a lvl 1 MG turret in the middle of the wall section.
    Defensive Fortification lvl 3 - 25 seconds, 50 resources- +10% height, +25% resistance to enemy engineer deconstruction. Upgrades turret to lvl 2.

And to clarify - EACH wall section MUST be upgraded INDIVIDUALLY, and only FULL SIZE sections can be upgraded past lvl 1 (and thus get a turret).

Path 2:
    Tower Fusillade, lvl 1 - 10 seconds, 10 resources- upgrades walls to current height, +25% hp
    Tower Fusillade, lvl 2 - 20 seconds, 20 resources- +50% hp, +25% resistance to engineer desconstruction.
    Tower Fusillade, lvl 3 - 60 seconds, 30 resources - +50% hp, +25% height, adds a camera+radar to the middle of each wall section (on top)

Again, EACH wall section must be upgraded individually, only FULL SIZE sections can be upgraded pat lvl 1.

The idea here is to have an ACTIVE defensive wall, and a PASSIVE defensive wall.

Engineers-

Wall Type 1 - Similar to current wall, but only comes to about half the height. Has similar HP when fully built to a current wall. The idea here is to make something JUST big enough to stand behind for cover. Maybe cut the build and deconstruct times in half.

Wall Type 2- Current Walls

What do you think? I know it's a lot to read at once... but it adds a little more strategy to walls.

2. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

To be honest i dont like this. Seems alot of hastle for just walls, especially adding turrets/cameras to walls.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

We don't need more things that are based around turtling, because defending doesn't win you games of empires, if you defend by choice you're almost certainly passing up the opportunity to attack and that would be a better option. Better defences also won't change this because you can prevent your enemy from attacking at all by taking their territory and resources, so unless you change the resource model, attack will always be the better option.

The changes I would make to walls is to add in a couple of types to make walls less turtly, for example I'd add tank barricades which allow infantry to move between them but which block tanks and don't provide cover, that would allow attacking more easily than current walls.

I'd also add in low cover walls, because we could use something you can park behind and shoot over, or stand behind and shoot over in some cases, again an offensive strategy.

I could see the point of a 'turret on a stick' building which is just a taller turret, because placing them to cover bases is sometimes a bit difficult, but anything which is supposed to just sit and take hits and shoot back is unneccesary.

I don't mind defensive things which encourage other forms of offense, like walls at the moment encourage people to charge up with engineers and deconstruct them, the same goes with rax trench warfare, that's fine, as would be some sort of big shield generator which you can't arty past, but you can drive tanks and infantry through and blow up to allow arty to kill the rest of the base, but just 'hurr here is a wall and it shoots you so you can't get rid of it hurr' is silly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  4. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I wish people would actually think before suggesting things.

DO YOU ACTUALLY FUCKING THINK THAT THIS IS BALANCED?

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

take that out?

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

<_<

>_>

Thread Status: