Cant play due to slowness (not a bug)

Discussion in 'General' started by ANGRY Shaved Whale, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ANGRY Shaved Whale

ANGRY Shaved Whale Member

Well this all starts when I bought 2 new hard drivers and I did raid 0. I was doing windows 2k for the last 2 months, and once I bought a new video card I decided to upgrade to my computer to new os. (Now it is to XP 64bit, Which I already owned) So what I did is I copyed all my source material shit and the large gig files so the downloads from steam would not take 5 hours to download. After did all the fun stuff got the game going, everything is in ULTRA slow motion. I fire slow, I run slow,and I even jump slow. But the kicker is I can see everyone around me running at full speed. I swear it is like I am drunk playing the game.... It has the feel, but I am not. So what I did today is I deleted all my HL2 and HL folders and I completely downloaded them; Yet I still get this problem.

I had this problem once before when I was playing NS but I forgot how I fixed it, it was along time ago.

Any idea's?

BTW I know it is now the OS doing the problem, I know some other people playing on XP64bit and I also use to play on 64bit OS.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Currently, Empires does not support 64bit CPUs. (Half-Life 2 has a running beta) This means that you can get some odd results, as you have noticed. Some people notice that their speed effectively doubles in Counter-Strike : Source and Day Of Defeat : Source. Guess it's the other way around with Empires :p

Try putting in -32bit in the game parameters.

3. ANGRY Shaved Whale

i guess you will have to help me with the "parameters"

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Open my games -> right-click Empires <v1.0*> beta -> properties -> launch properties -> enter -32bit -> click ok -> close the properties window -> start playing

5. Woody

Woody Member

tbh, Using a 32bit os on a 64bit cpu like im doing and a m8 of mine whos on 64 core, seems to be faster than using a 64bit os..

it is strange :P

6. ANGRY Shaved Whale

solo thanks for the tip, but it did not work. I still get the slowness everywhere... its frustrating to know I could do everything before on my 64bit os, w/o modifications....

and woody, I guess you never used a 64bit os long enough... once you use a 32 os you will notice a difference in the small areas. Opening windows faster, opening large files faster. or even just as simple as IE7 which XP doesnt have with out downloading.

7. ANGRY Shaved Whale

sigh i was trying to play, and i just cant play with it.... when i play now it is just like playing with massive lag.... back on the 56k days... when i see the server on the servers like i see the pings at 10ms but in the game i hit 100 ms... there has to be chokes or something going on somewhere here....

can anyone else help me here?? i am missing empires already!! me need my addition back!!!

8. ANGRY Shaved Whale

grr, no help here??

edit:

to save a post....

I think the problem might have to do with a texture? here is the line item i get in my console. any ideas????

Warning: using WorldTwoTextureBlend on a non-displacement surface (material: nature/blendrocksand008d). Support for this will go away soon.

edit: another thing i found was this......

Your .dll [bin\client.dll] differs from the server's. If itwas different... then how come i was able to get on the server....

I cry wolf!!! Krenzo!!! I think I walked into a bug now... pff

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  9. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

The texture message is Source related, and it's nothing for you to worry about. The mapper has simply used a certain type of texture on a certain type of surface, and Source is courteous enough to feel the need to alert him/her that the ability to do so is going to be removed eventually.

The client.dll thing is also nothing to worry about (if you can connnect, anyway). It happens for everybody. I think it might have to do with dedicated servers having slightly different files.

10. zachtos

zachtos Member

try posting this over in anandtech.com forums, they are better at tech support.

My advice, go back to XP 32bit. Why complicate things for no reason whatsoever? Just to say you have an new OS? LOL... you're a gamer, just use what works. The objective is to just play games, why hamstring yourself. Wait for vista, and even then, wait 6 monthes until you see benchmarks saying it's acutally better.

11. ANGRY Shaved Whale

heh i cant use xp... i have 3 cd's... and no cd keys.... you get my drift......

12. Woody

Woody Member

then get a cd key for it, loads are about on the net

13. zachtos

zachtos Member

Well if you're using an illegal XP copy I cant (but really can =P) help you. But you can get a cheap copy of XP at Newegg.com $140 pro/ $85 home. If you lost your key or activated it too many times, you can call the microsoft 1800 number and order a new key for around $35(atleast when I called 3 years ago)

14. ANGRY Shaved Whale

pff, i have had every os but ME... I guess I could go back to my old 2k os... pfff, or! I can do dual boot :P Since I am doing a raid configration it would be easy to do with space. And I will keep all my ungodly annoy files safe... I did not want to go to 2k, becusae of the reason of interference with my programs I use now. (solidworks, solidedge, autocad, and the list goes on... you get my drift)

15. zachtos

zachtos Member

I used to love my RAID array until I upgraded. Then I realized that you have to have the same onboard RAID controller on the new motherboard... guess what? They are not very standard and it's tough to find the same one. which meant I had to FORMAT my drives, HURRAY... I will never use a RAID array again, atleast not on my OS drive, which really was the whole point.