Can't connect to servers

Discussion in 'Support' started by jonnybe123, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jonnybe123

jonnybe123 Member

Hi Guys!

Wonder if you could help me. I have a problem that when I try and connect to Empires I lose connection to the internet. I don't get my internet back until I disconnect and it come back on straight away. I'm unfortunately on a wireless network and have tried tweaking around in the router settings to fix it.
    I've tried;
    • Enabling Upnp
    • Allowing my computer as a DMZ
    • Unblocking all the ports for this game
    • Turning off all firewalls.

The strange thing is that its only certain source games that have this problem. My CSS works absolutely fine. Zombie Panic, NMRIH and Empires all seem to have this same problem. I was able to play a few empires matches the other night with extremely high ping for the first few minutes. It eventually came down permanently.

So I guess, does anyone have any ideas. I will give you more info if you need it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Have you tried using a wired method, might be wireless packet corruption.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

How is your internet hooked up behind the router? Or to be specific, what country are you in? If you're in the UK, have you checked that all your phone lines in use have filters on?

4. jonnybe123

jonnybe123 Member

Hey guys.

I'm in the UK and have the filters on my phoneline. In terms of the wireless packet, how would I check for that? My wireless seems to be fairly stable as I can play Arma 2, Mount and Blade, CSS and everything else perfectly.

5. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Try disabling upnp on router and forwarding the ports.
    Do you by any chance have a BT Home Hub or a Thomson router? Because I could never get those to work with a lot of games even in DMZ mode and with uPnP disabled.
    I ended by just buying a different router.....

6. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Your network have some kinda switch for wired connections, just plug your pc/laptop into wired connection and disable your wireless connection and test to see if it still happens. Wired connection will just be more stable and if it still happens, then you can rule out your connection mode. For further examples of wireless woes, do a google search for : citrix wireless disconnects

packet sniffer/tracer would be what you would use, but the setup far too much for forum instruction. For more info and possible programs to use, google: wireless packet sniffer

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Also, when you say you are loosing connection to the internet, is it your router loosing connection or just your pc's wireless adapter loosing connection to the router?

should be able to check your router's logs / stats for uptime, reconnection logging.

8. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Or with most routers you can just look at the lights on the front.

9. jonnybe123

jonnybe123 Member

Ok guys. I don't think it is my router anymore. I try to connect and it lags untill I tab out. When I tab out my internet works fine. It must be something to do with the program itself. Has anyone got any ideas as to what would block the individual program?

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

DMZ is retarded DON'T DO IT!

1) Give yourself a static IP either through the router DHCP or by setting it in windows.
    2) Config router to port forward all the ports that work for steam games to your static IP. LINKY
    3) Make sure your computer FireWall is set to allow Empires AND Steam to use those ports.
    4) Check your Anti-Virus!!! Many AV these days have a Proxy built into them. They will auto fuck your connections to all go through the AV software. This usually doesn't mess things up but, in some cases it can.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. jonnybe123

jonnybe123 Member

Hi Viro. Thank you for the suggestions. How do I do 1 and 2? I don't have a Anti Virus. I use windows defender

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

In order to help you I would need to know what router you have.