Cannon Shell Bugs

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Jcw87, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I made a demo showing various cannon shell bugs.

http://rebootilicious.rbcorner.com/emp_temp/shells.rar

Skip ahead to tick 63780 to see a shell that goes really slow after firing. Demo also has me falling under the map when exiting a tank, followed by me trying to re-create it with no luck.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I had a bug on duststorm in 1.073 a long time ago where shells fired at certain angles against palmtrees would change direction and fly slowly, it may have something to do with collision models and the game thinking the shells hit, while they didn't.

3. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I got that funny bug 2. I can upload 2 other demos showing it. But only if needed

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I remember the bouncing-shells thing too (the one that solo is talking about). It was reproducible in that CW training map a while back.

5. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

If you notice from the demo, when the shells first spawn, they look like the HL2 rockets, and then the model changes. I think whats happening is the shells spawn on the edge of the collision barrier and bounce off of it before they are set to explode on impact. Oh, and on my tankwar map, I had been bouncing arty shells off the wall at one point, but when I tried to use fraps, it wouldn't do it anymore.

6. SabreWulf

SabreWulf Member

I have the arty duel shell bug. As a norm I always bind both shells to primary slot 1. Well with 1.08 Rc7 I get splash damage. The shells hits its target but still gets my arty shelled to death.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i reported that and it got fixed for 1.08 Rc8

8. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i mentioned this way way way back when i 1st did the mortar model, what happens is there is actually 2 firing mortar models in standard half life 2, one thats got the fins closed and comes out about a foot then it changes to the other that the fins are opened instead of valve animating the fins opening up im guessing they just made it change from one to the other . i think maybe that part needs to be cut out :D

9. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

The "slow moving shell" bug is in RC8, too. I can reproduce it pretty well on emp_slaughtered with brenodi med tank. Whatever, i dont think its that important to fix it.

10. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

feature or bug, i dunno, but it's quite easy to get bouncing shells on glycencity

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

why not come up with our own "un finned" model? it would be good use of the free code.

12. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well, it isn't finned. its a cannon shell, afaik no cannon shell has fins. actually i think spawning 2 models for 1 use would lag more ... maybe if they cut that sequence out it would cut half the lag when shooting lots of missiles :cool:

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it wont lag, it's player side. It is almost certainly player side.