Butt crack on the head

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Dannyboy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Now, the smg melee does a 1 hit kill if I'm not mistaken, but thats an smg, not a rifle. So say your a rifleman, your far away from an ammo supply and you hear that dreaded "click click" from your rifle, you know you have no clips left, you could whip out your pistol but that would take time, so what if you can hit people with the butt of your rifle instead?

What I'm asking is that riflemen when they have no rifle ammo left, and they have the oppertunity, they can hit people with their rifle butt because taking out your pistol involves maybe 1/1and half, 2 second delay? if it does that might earn you some spawning time chat, so basicly if you have no ammo, your rifle is a melee weapon, saves time really.

Cons:

Has more use for a empty rifle
    Saves precious time in a 1 on 1 fire fight
    Would be cool
    Deadly eye candy

Cons:

Coding
    Balancing
    Not a necessity

Alternatives

Use your pistol
    Use your pistol whip
    Don't miss your opponent

So, what you think?

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Hmm. You'd need to make an empty rifle have different properties than a loaded rifle, or make a second secondary (>_>) that you can bind to a new key. Secondary for a rifle is already zoom.

3. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

primary, secondary, ________

Do developers think gamers are incapable of handling weapons with tertiary functions and so forth(pun)? Not there is any problem with two functions or even only one, but there used to be a few games around trying their hand at tertiary. I believe Unreal2 had one... I think it is almost regressing. Two used to be a forced standard and now a lot of new games are back down to one. When I get around to making my mod (I won't ever get around to it), it will definitely have support for more than two functions.

All rants aside, I think adding this functionality, to melee with your rifle, would be a fair sized change for something small. It would also change current game play methods and make all the Empires elders "Grrrrrr."

I vote no even though it would be cool.

4. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

well, basicly the mod says, is this rifle empty? no, keep firing bullets
    is this rifle empty? yes, primary function = butt whip

5. Demented

Demented Member

I'm pretty sure Unreal 2 didn't have a tertiary fire button. (And for some reason I'm having trouble remembering any game that did.) These days, I think most games are trying to reduce the number of buttons so that you can play them on consoles.

That said, a tertiary fire button is often rather annoying. The secondar fire button was nice because it was handy to be able to use a different fighting style without switching weapons. And having an underslung grenade launcher was a sweet trick back in the day. With tertiary, you have the trouble of making a third style for each weapon, and it's more than most players need.

A single button that changes your fire mode is much neater, in addition to a fire button and a scope button, should serve nearly all purposes.

The HL2:CTF mod has an OICW that has a tertiary fire button for its airburst grenade, in addition to the primary fire and scope. Though, it's irritating since it's the only weapon that uses that button.

6. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Good points all around.

The grenade/rocket launcher had four functions, but yeah you switch between them with the "secondary button." I agree three buttons can be annouying even though most good gaming mice have 5. I just like variety and complexity in my gaming. :)

Guns that switch single/burst/fullauto count in my book as three function weapons, and still get away with two buttons usually. --Not that the secondary button switch is a solution for this, I was just saying I like the variety and uniqueness of increased functionality.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  7. arklansman

arklansman Member

You can already pistol-whip, so what's the point?

It's mostly because a standard mouse only has two buttons + scroll wheel. Going back to one is mostly simplification in shitty console ports. :P

Also: Grrrr.

I'm glad I re-read that word. :o

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

After reviewing some scripts, I think that all weapons have a secondary attack of melee. But the secondary is only active if there isn't something else there. IE, if you can't zoom, you melee.

I still haven't found anything that lets you disable the zoom though.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There used to be a melee for the rifles, but it was replaced by ironsights.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Since public release (1.0) the secondary fire of rifles was zoom, maybe you're talking about closed testing before that?

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The model has had a melee animation, i remember that.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Could be a general sequence that was applied to all weapon skeletons. But I don't know >>;;

13. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

The point is it takes maybe a second, two seconds to whip out your pistol and pistol-whip or shoot, so why are you not able to butt whip with your rifle when you have 0 ammunition left, so no bullets no clips.

14. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I would rather have the melee moved to a third button, and have all (with in reason) weapons have iron sights.

15. Vader6

Vader6 Member

Make it like Eternal Silence, where all weapons have Melee tied to its own button.

16. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Or, like in my suggestions when the rifle is completely out of ammo, its primary function turns to melee

17. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ye, tie it to the scroll button. You can click that one too ya know ;)

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

that might actually be possible. When it assigns ammo type to primary and secondary fire, you could see if you can script in a check to check ammo remaining, and if it's 0, it could change the primary ammo to AMMO_MELEE. But the only variable I can see that is in the script for ammo is the max ammo variable. Also, the script isn't constantly checked I dont think, so it would have to be hard coded.

Also, this may be buggy. It may not let you get ammoz from the crate because it is out of ammo, it may let you fire melee shots from the end of your gun rather than punching, although there is a speed limit to that, but I don't know if the range would be messed up.

Bleh, just give riflemen SMG's.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Give all weapons iron sight and a melee animation, well all exept mines.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

-_- mines need a melee suicide bomber option.

If you hit someone with a mine like it was a lemon pie, they should die....