Buildings Autobuild

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sandbag, Nov 10, 2009.

1. communism

communism poof

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Or have only one/two buildings autobuild themselves. That way, teamwork is still encouraged, but it isn't completely devastating. Not to mention you can place a ref that's far away from the battlelines, and not send a valuable soldier to go build it (or divert your attention (and right-click dragging abilities) to go build it).

3. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I don't see why players should ever ever ever have to face a wall and hold down the mouse until something is constructed. This, at it's most basic, is not fun. This is something that veterans will have become "immune" to, especially because an experienced player knows that staring at a barracks for 20 seconds gives his team a MASSIVE bonus, so you won't feel too guilty about it. New players don't have this and it's why that aspect of the mod sucks.

Think if this exact same process can be replaced by instead of staring at the wall, facing away from the wall, then the player gets to build and have fun of combat

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about people just "tagging" a building with the build tool out makes it build that building, they can do other stuff like scout the area while building then

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It doesn't keep them localised around the building though, which is a fundamental point about constructing something. If people are around the building helping it build, while not being stuck looking at a wall, that's ideal - it preserves the idea of building and removes the fail element of looking at a bunch of sparks coming off a wall.

6. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

basically, what Ikalx said.

Any other input before this suggestion gets ignored by the devs and buried in the suggestions forum?

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

id love to see the burdon of building being taken away from engies alone. their skill could still give them a boost, so they stay sort of a builder class, but i think we should consider to make ebuilding the main building option (including repairs for buildings aswell).
    a main problem is this - "sorry im <insert-class-here>, i cannot build" thing. also i dont really see why we should force players into specific roles too much.
    if people like to play builders, let em play those, if not let them be other classes. but currently this isnt possible to its full extend because you need to be engi at certain points in the game.

only thing to take care of would be scouts with hide. but i find hide being a shit skill (in terms of how it adds to gameplay) anyway - i wouldnt shed a single tear of it being removed. as much fun as it is if you pop up behind enemies to punch them to death. it slows down scouts so much that often when you sneak up you have your entire army moving pass that point before you reached the turret you try to sabotage.
    it also gives a wrong impression of safety - as ppl think they can just prone on open ground and wont be seen ...

so maybe a mixture of ebuilding as main build/repair option combined with a REALLY SLOW autobuild would add lots to remove certain problems occuring due to people likeing one class more than the other for various resons. scouts and the hide skill would need to be considered tho ... sneaky rax shouldnt be the main strategy in empires ...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Easy fix: Scouts with hide get a -50% build rate.

9. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

What about raxes? Now they are hard to kill unless you catch them off guard or manage to release such hell that even 9000 engies wont get it down.

If this is implemented (auto-build as autorepair then it fucking sucks PERIOD)

Now you have important teamplay requirement (stop being roflewhores and help save rax, repair strategies, so you wont be caught off-guard etc.)

I would agree to autobuild, but only when its like one person E-building it, not more, and calculators stay.

It's just too deep into empires gameplay

And yes, i don't mind building stuff, as i always get rep upg.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes and that "important teamplay requirement" leads to either 6 engies camping the rax without a single one getting out to kill the ONE nadespammer or everyone completely ignoring the rax anyway ...
    to still be able to keep a rax up you only need to tweak the amount of "e-repairing".

i dont see how this would change much apart from being able to play whatever class you like without screwing up your whole team because noone else plays/wants to play engineer.

players that like that class (engi) for walls, turrets, revive, healing, building can still stick with it. even the repair skill doenst need to go - it could just buff the ebuild/repair amount. its just every class could take part in this "important teamplay requirement" without keeping them out of battle for like forever ... ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  11. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

or hidden scouts get 0% e-build, because they could just go in some sneaky super invisible corner to do so. but on the other hand, if they really need the barracks to go up fast, being a scout and just building 50% e-build would be a MASSIVE decrease from the 300% e-build that a rep-upgrade engy gets. perhaps 50% build would make the invisible scout an interesting alternative (though rarely used) way of building that wouldn't really be overpowered

with reguards to:
    I'd say that this suggestion makes it easier to counter such stuff. Barracks will get built and repaired at a slower rate, so you'll have more time to counter something.

Instead of having an intense "watch the bar go up while you hide on the inside of the building" vs "throw unlimited grenades at a stationary target" battle, the deciding factor in whether a building in contested territory gets built will be "were the men guarding it killed off, or did they hold back the aggressors?"

edit: man, I'm kinda surprised that we put up with that sort of thing for so long.