Building hardpoints

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Noskillz & Nokillz, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Noskillz & Nokillz

Noskillz & Nokillz Member

This is a radical idea but listen anyway

When you destroy a building it turns black, stays on the map for around half a minute and disappears. It can be destroyed by shooting anywhere at the structure.

What I suggest is after a building is damaged enough, several hardpoints opens up inside or outside the building. The building will not be usable though it will not disappear from the map. There should be multiple hardpoints in which at least one must be destroyed for the building to be destroyed as well as another hardpoint that allows friendly teammates to use to restore the building to working order with 50% hp. The damaged building becomes undestructable while both hardpoints are usable. The repair hardpoint can be a flag point requiring multiple teammates to stand near it to repair.

For example, a command console and 2 generators can be attached to a vehicle factory model. Once the vehicle factory takes enough damage, it stops functioning and all hardpoints are able to be used. One of the generators must be destroyed before the command console has been repaired.

This hardpoint idea forces attackers to attack the base at close quarters. Although without destroying hardpoints at close range, long ranged attacks still have an effect in disabling buildings thus not removing the need for artillery.

It sounds too unbalanced to the attackers but certain things can be tweaked to balance it out such as making restoring a building take an extremely long time, making hardpoints easy to destroy and moving hardpoints out to unprotected areas of the buildings.

2. davee magee

davee magee Member

im not sure if this is the right idea for implimenting it, but you have struck gold here.

Something like this will make the game much more fun i reckon, especially on the larger maps. This wouldnt render arty obsolete, but make them more of a assault support kinda function (which arty was always meant to be).

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The idea is really nice, but that means we need bigger buildings with maybee
    underground levels. Dont know if that is necessary but it might be very funny.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

so once the building dies, it falls apart, remains as ruins, which can be blown apart in individual parts. the wreckage can be deconstructed to remove it. all sound good?

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

would take a long ass time to be implemented, if possible.

but i guess it sounds cool.

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Anything that instantly shows when a building is destroyed, I'm up for.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I can see it adding a greater role for infantry in base defence, as at the moment all the tanks do is blast the structures, and by extension cover, away, and then roll over the infantry.

8. Zombified

Zombified Member

I'm all for giving infantry a chance against armor in base defense, because normally a couple of heavys can steamroll all but the best defended bases.

9. Chahk

Chahk Member

Too complicated. KISS = "Keep It Simple, Stupid" works much better than a overly complicated system for destroying/defending a building.

Also, this is completely unnecessary. What exactly does it add to gameplay, other than a better visual indicator that the building is destroyed? The new wall crumble animation in 2.1x will eventually be applied to buildings as well, so the visual indicator thing will be taken care of there and then.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

We said what it adds if you bothered to read the thread.

It gives buildings a greater role as infantry cover and forces tanks to close with the base in order to destroy it, giving a losing team a chance to get shots off at the invading force.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

plus it'll make the landscapes a lot more exciting, more like raiding a base, with close quaters fighting.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like this

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

so what we're saying (correct me please!)

buildings have a "core" unphysics like structure. when the structure is destroyed top part and any walls that are physics like blow away, the core wreck of the structure remains, which infantry can hide in and fire out of, etc. whats more, certain other walls in the core structure have health, that when they are destroyed they too become physics. the "wrecks" remain on the battlefield until an engineer deconstructs them.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I thought it was just that you can't destroy a building by shooting one location until it dies, you have to destroy a number of areas on the structure, meaning there's probably going to be one you need to get behind the structure (meaning into the base) to hit.

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But wouldn't that be even more things to annoy?

First you need to tell emp_recruit that his mg fire doesn't damage the building.
    Then you got to tell him that he needs to throw his grenades at the right spots..

''nono! Not there! a half meter here you throw!

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well we should do something along the lines of "damage the building till it reaches the no more damage point" at which point the damaged building will change to show that it is damaged... messed up outsides and large holes in the walls and such. Then perhaps have an area that can be noticeable for them to target. Part of the building with cables hanging out that throws off sparks like a big calc weld but once every 5 seconds?

17. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I thought about other ways how the infantry could gain importance in base combat and then I had the battle scene from StarWars: Ep1 in my head - forcefields!

My idea now is that every (major) building has its own little forcefield that has to be deactived from inside by infantry. This would also raise the role of cloaked scouts to a new level and give more importance to team play. Just imagine this scene.

Scout: "I'm in the base at E4 in their vf"
    Comm: "Roger. I am sending some artillery and tanks"
    Scout: "Hurry!!! They are already looking for me I think!"
    Comm: "Arty in position. Deactivate the field now!"
    *****ZAP*****
    Scout: "Done!" -> good bye vf -> tanks + infantry role in -> good bye base

It should take a good amount of time before the field can be reactived. The system has to 'reboot' and the field generator has to slowly build up power again (Just for the people who like to have an explanation for everything like me :P). It should be ready maybe about 1 minute after someone presses the 'reboot-button'.

I found another thread by HackUser that was discussing forcefield walls and generators. There was a demur that forcefields don't fit into the setting. But I guess a game with nuke tanks, invisible humans, genetically enhanced soldiers with implants and engineers that construct buildings with just a calculator at hand can also have forcefields.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

forcefield = NO. its technology that doesnt fit empires. maybe metal plates slide back to reveal the component instead?

19. Kuma

Kuma Member

While forcefields don't really mesh well with Empires, metal plates do and that has got me thinking....implement vehicle armor on the walls, think of reactive walls. Reactive armor is pretty much armor that is electrified, so instead of having a field of energy to protect your base, you have electrified, quite conductive metal guarding you...hmm.....the possibilities......bio walls......

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Bio walled barracks for NF: where soldiers grow on walls, literally!