[building] - foxhole

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Jun 18, 2016.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

- This building would cost 100 res
    - as long as friendly players are inside, you can spawn in it.
    - if without people inside slowly dies and needs to be repaired (they are active buildings not passive 'build and forget' like turrets.)
    - has cover to the hight of a ducking infantry
    - has ammo
    - has spawn
    - has tank traps to stop tanks trying to run it over and crush people
    - has an emplacement that changes depending on what class is inside

engineer: everyone close by heals like healing squad power, people dead close by get random revives foxhole gets double hp, turret has simple tank rifle in it
    rifleman: turret has 50cal inside it, people get free ammo + body armour just by being close to the building,
    scout: people get 'hide' applied to them, targets for everyone, turret is a same as engineer
    gren: vehicles close by all can see the armor of enemy tanks and get armor upgrade. turret is standard cannon

would be awesome, but probably OP lol ;)

[​IMG]
    Something like above, the size of 2 armories slammed wall to wall

2. Ranger

Ranger Member

I was thinking of a simple circular mesh of dirt protecting one person in the middle. Model should be smaller than an armory. No spawns etc. Just ammo for mortar.

3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Blizzrd I like you but you've posted one suggestion thread a day and every day I feel like you're just really trying to see how far you can go until someone stops taking you seriously.

flasche likes this.
  4. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Please keep posting suggestions. I really like this one but I would remove the spawning and area effects, making it just a manned turret that gives you ammo; and has a vehicle-style turret as you said. I think that already makes it a really strong thing to have. I think the hitpoints we give it would be the deciding factor in its usefullness; I think 200 would be good (twice a turret). Also, you cannot repair it while inside the foxhole, you have be outside it. And if at all possible, the foxhole and inhabitant is actually sunk into the ground, meaning you get (almost) no cover when next to it.

Edit: Also, continuing the idea that each class should have the calculator, I think this should be a rifleman buildable. Or, any class? Perhaps the class that built it determines the turret, that would probably be a lot easier to implement and a bit easier on the realism than a turret that swaps out depending on the inhabitant.

5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

That's what I was imagining too...

If you want to shoot from lower down in the ground... Then why not just go prone? Is my question...

I can't help but think you're describing a bunker kind of thing here @blizzerd . Why not just have a bunker that can be placed to better protect infantry? It would obviously be designed to fit nicely with surrounding walls. With cover for firing out of, and possibly a ladder onto the roof.

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

He wants to dig a hole in the ground, but that's not possible in source maps. So to get the same result u need to lift the ground a bit. The desired result from my point of view is the building to provide mortar shells to the grenadier(s) inside and protect him moderately from enemy fire with sandbags and piles of dirt. It would be an interesting addition to trench warfare depending on how it would be made and other classes could use it as cover, but the point was to be an ammo source for a gren that doesn't have 123 mortars in his pocket anymore. Thus mortar grens would be early game artillery, which is another thing I like. I always wanted the mortar to be more powerful, and harder to use. This probably means that the rpg could have increased blast radius again.

I don't think ladders work on buildings, or they are hard to get working anyway.

If such a change to the gren class is not wanted then this building has little use, but could still be an interesting addition. Instead of walling urself in you could use a fox hole.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

oh you could totally make that work with a shader. it would not be a real hole in geometry, but it would not be distinquishable. its "just" a matter of when you draw it. every frame is just a 2d image, if you paint an aligned hole on a surface its not distinquishable from a real hole in this 2d image. i have never tried it tho, i have only very, very, very, very rudimentary shader coding experience, ive only read about it.

also im quite sure blizzerd knows you cant just manipulate geometry at runtime (especially not add subdivisions). he knows hammer quite well.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  8. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't know if Tama knows that Blizzerd know. Tama said "ground level" and asked "why not prone?". He wouldn't be firing from ground level, he would be on the same level if not higher.

9. flasche

it might be totally sufficient to just stick the model into the ground and call it a day if the modeler finds some sort of cover or closing mechanism that looks believable. i mean you wouldnt want rain to collect in the foxhole, so you probably cover when its not used.

but actually, this is what the dig-in skill already is - you guys shouldnt take empires so literal :P

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  10. Avatarix

What about foxholes like these in Project Reality?
    Maybe make the walls a little higher and give it to engineer?

Attached Files:

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

This is a really bad idea. It would change gameplay completely, am not a fan

12. Avatarix

stoic game for stoic people
    and yet we agree to get chassis which can penetrate armour

13. flasche

how is it much different from 3 pieces of walls?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

The foxhole is already in, be an engineer and place some walls and shoot over it from behind cover. This game desperately needs a change, its growing stale. Infantry combat is basically rock-paper-scissors and the tank combat is even worse. We need something new, we need things added to spice up the variety such as the TD or this, among many other things.

blizzerd likes this.