"Buildable" trenches

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by jongscx, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jongscx

jongscx Member

How would I make "buildable" trenches?, in the sense that they would dip down as you build them, instead of going up...

Another use of this would be a gate that you would build from above, and would lower down into the hallway it's closing...

Basically, I'm trying to make tank-bunkers on a down-hill slope, pointing down from the top... (a defend the hill type map) so to make it easier on the driver, there will be indents in the ground to keep the tank from wanting to roll down the hill all the time...

2. Empty

Empty Member

Premake the trenches and make a constructible brush covering it that is built at full health belonging to the enemy team, simply decon it and you open a trench!

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

take note that displacements will need to be made appropreate so that they do not "pierce" the trench wall

i personally solved this by making part of the displacement descend really fast into the ground, another solution would be to leave a hole in your displacement sheet, whatever is most appropriate for the situation

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Make your trench, and have destroying it damage the concrete lining and pile up some crap in the bottom so you can't use it.

When repaired, the crap disappears and the lining is repaired.

5. jongscx

jongscx Member

...Holy bajesus... Hammer is so much more complicated than I originally thought...

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's fairly simple compared to most 3d content packages, I mean it's a level editor and they're not as complex as modelling packages.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hammer is one of the most simple and primitive 3d constructors i ever used, and yes i am including the quake 1 level editor... but you must be sure not to get lost into all the different functions

8. Empty

Empty Member

The quake 1 editor WAS hammer :P

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

yeh its hell of a lot better than UnrealEd anyways :D

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Yea, it was called worldscraft or something "back in the days"

I feel really stupid now, but i somehow forgot what game the level editor i mean was for :s you had to "carve" out your map like a cave in dwarven fortress but you could not even do proper detail

please forgive me for my stupidity!!!!!

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

If you want to feel pain try Radiant.