Buildable objects

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Relikie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Relikie

Relikie Member

Alright, 2 questions.
    1. Is it possible to have 2 teams build the same object together?
    2. Is it possible to make the buildable object not take any damage before it is built?

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

1. If the object has no team set, then both teams will be able to build / damage it. This is how the bridges in maps like isle work.
    2. I think this is the normal behaviour.

3. Relikie

Relikie Member

Thank you, but the second answer I am unsure about. Don't seismic grenades damage unbuilt objects as well?

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How can they damage an unbuilt object? If it's not built then it doesn't exist to take damage.

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

You can set the object to not start solid, like the ramps in mvalley. Obviously these wont take damage until they are built and solid.

You can also set an object to start solid like the bridges on isle. These start with a certain amount of health, and you can "build" them up to a maximum health which you set, or just have them start with maximum health.

In this second example I don't think there is a way to make the objects not receive damage.

If you are more specific about what you are trying to achieve we might be able to help you get around these limitations though.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Ahh, I remember now (it's been a while :P)

If you want it to not receive damage but start solid, duplicate the object, but make the copy a func_wall. Then create the emp_eng_map_brush as normal, and set it to start not solid. Once it is built, simultaneously fire the 'kill' input for the func_wall and you will be left with a destructible object.

Let us know if it works, and we can add a tutorial to the wiki (or even better, you can add it yourself :D)

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Use a func_wall_toggle for rebuildable objects.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

And why wouldn't default Empires' entities be enough?