bug with vehicle aim

Discussion in 'Archive' started by amitamit2, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I think the solution for the time being would be: if you reach the limits of the vertical movement of the turret, don't attempt to go any further.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I thought we were talking about the guy's other problem where his view would go up and down when he moved forward or back while in a tank? The problem you speak of has already been fixed.

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

The vertical movement bug doesn't seem to be fixed in RC 12 :\

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

krenzo, the bug that everyone is describing is in mantis. I'm 99.99% sure of the cause.

firstly, to explain the termanology i'll be using, the "mouse" is the exact co-ordinates that the game recieves from the mouse. you can picture it as an invisible crosshair. the "crosshair" i describe is the visible crosshair. this follows the 'mouse' and is limited by things that limit the crosshair, which in vehicles, is the vertical limits.

the problem is that the 'mouse' goes above the vertical limits of the 'crosshair'. this means that the mouse continues to move up while the crosshair is at the highest point it is allowed to go. this means that the mouse is so far up that before you can get the crosshair to start moving down again, you must first make the mouse go down far enough that it is pointing to within the limits of the crosshair. the symptons of this occouring are that your vehicle crosshair is at one of it's limits, say, at the top, but moving your actual mouse down doesn't move the crosshair down, because the mouse co-ordinates that the game receives detect the mouse as way above where the crosshair is, so moving the mouse down won't get the crosshair moving.

the problem with when this happens is that it is hard to aim in combat, because in situations where you want to aim up slightly, you move your REAL mouse up a bit, the the crosshair remains stuck at one of its limits.

does this help at all?

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Wow...he already said it was fixed.

6. nulloperations

nulloperations Member

I've got a similar bug in that when my tank is in movement, I can't aim up or down at all. The vertical movement of the camera is locked in place but the horizontal is still present. Sometimes I get an effect similar to the OP where my view will jump up and down as I am driving. This occurs when I am not moving the turret with the mouse as well.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

oops, I thought he said he fixed the one where the guy's crosshair was jittering when he moved forward and back. my bad :o

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

That's exactly what I said but said in better form. So yes, I would like this to be fixed because in tight combat situation is it bit annoying that your turret is jamming all the time either to up position or down position.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

anyway, it's fixed now.

thanks big K!

11. amitamit2

amitamit2 Member

12. Mr. Weedy

The second part isn't available.

13. amitamit2

amitamit2 Member

i uploaded it a short time ago, try giving it some time... i really hope it works soon...

14. Mr. Weedy

Alright. Going to wait.

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Um, yeah, not sure what causes it. Do you have a joystick or gamepad plugged in? Try plugging it out if you do.

16. amitamit2

amitamit2 Member

i don't have anything, only a mouse a keyboard and a frigging unknown bug...

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

first off, stop whining, this mod is in BETA for a reason. your not the only one that has this, I do too.

18. amitamit2

amitamit2 Member

i'm not whining, it's just fraustrating that no one knows what this bug is and that no one else has it (i don't think we have the same bug...) and that if this beta would end and the bug won't be found it'll be hard to fix this bug...

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Let's diagnose this logically.

You've probably done this already, but if you haven't I would remove Empires and re-install everything from RC7 through 12 in order.

Do you have problems with vertical mouse movement under any other circumstances, like in menus?

When you fire, does the shot go in the correct place? (trying to establish if the turret is actually at the wrong angle, or just a graphical error).

It's a long shot, but could it be something to do with the new tank-specific mouse sensitivity setting? I don't know what the name of the command is, but is each axis configured individually?

20. amitamit2

amitamit2 Member

oh oh, i just found out that this bug DOES happen in the BE AFV and its other vehicles, that's very strange because that means that i didn't have this bug for a few moments when i checked a few days ago...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007