Brutal commander style

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Private Sandbag, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Commanding is a tough job even if you're good at it and win every match.

A lot of players on the ground don't like it when commanders treat the players like recruits in the army, no respect, no manners and certainly no "requests", only orders.

So what's a better commander style, millitary and dictatorship or friendly and open to suggestions?

I'd say that generally I'm more on the brutal style, just because I don't have time when I'm commanding to justify every little command I give people, I just want people to do it.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Im a bitch that likes to be touched hard. ^^

Srsly a "brutal" comman style on pub games is the best war
    to get things done.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I've found that being nice works, but you also have to be sure you know what you're doing - i.e:

"I'm doing reflective next, what would you guys like after that?"

Cries of "Get Composite! Get nukes!" are met with "Nope," and the explanation "we don't have enough res."

I find people like it when you explain what you're doing and ask for some suggestions if you're unsure what's happening on the ground. I've seen you as comm sandbag, and it works most times, but sometimes you put peoples backs up because of it. Of course, some people want to grief too...but that's uncombatible.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

When people ask for nukes and stuff I just say "aight" and then keep researching what we need to win haha

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I give orders, if they aren't obeyed it's their fault.

6. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Brutal style is the only way to get emp_recruits to do what you're doing.

With people that knows the game, but don't go on the forums, you go brutal, but not as extreme.

With regulars on the forums, it's just relaxed. Cause you know everyone and they know you :].

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I really wish I had more sticks as commander.

Being a tyrant is difficult when you can't do anything if your players disobey you.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Just depends on how much the players listen to the commander and not screw around.
    I try to be calm and happy but I'm fine forcing everyone to follow my orders or die.

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I can't seem to find any way to force my will upon people at this point, so it's difficult for me to be a brutal commander. Then again, some people have that voice and authority about them that people think they really will get murdered in their sleeps if they disobey. So it really depends on the person.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I can do that in person but it's rather difficult over the mic.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Open to suggestions? LOL most of them don't have any idea about this game. You can be open to some ideas but first, your team has to follow orders.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

The commander has pleanty of "sticks" in my opinion. my favorites are

"you do exactly what I tell you to do, to the letter, and I might put off suiciding this CV till halfway through the match"
    "you didn't suicide to that barracks when I told you to? well guess what, now you're NEVER getting that refinary. how's that for 'not ending the game quick'?"

13. Reef

Reef Member

I like it the way 'if I need Your opinion, I will ask for it". I ask sometimes, sometimes guys feel that the enemy is a little back and we can f.e. skip mediums. But when I issue an order to get more refs, I need it to be done now. Usually, players fail to understand that and I can only curse them. I can comm 2 or 3 games a day because I get pissed on players that ignore orders.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Aah good old 1.0 where you crashed 8 times per map in comm and everyone followed your orders to the letter

15. o_O

o_O Member

Comm needs more team damaging lightning.
    Right now if your team likes vehicles you can threaten to lock the VF until they build your radar and go to the refinery points, but every few times I comm I get a team that just refuses to build vehicles. And if they don't get refs all we have is light tanks anyway...

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah but that causes problems for me in the long run.

I want something to cause the player inconvenience without seriously hampering my performance.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

fart into the mic.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Im a nice Tyrant; im nice untill you start messing up, then out comes the belt whips guns and scary things like that...

If you want "Brutal" comming at its finest, to every new player thats reading the forum, play one round, ONE round under Headshotmaster, I dare you; and then love your commander when he doesnt rip your balls off through the microphone...

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I've never ever played under HSM, although I know of his legend.

20. Namst

Namst Member

I'm of the belief that being a dictatorial comm on public servers scares away new players. A nice, vocal, and active comm will get what he needs, although maybe not exactly as early a pushing comm, from his team. If a player won't listen, aggression may provoke him to do your will. However, I consider doing this in the long run worse for the community. More emp_recruits being scared off by a seemingly mean community means less new players getting in-depth enough to enjoy the game which means a smaller community, meaning less devoted players, meaning less fun matches overall.

Perhaps in a clan match, or a match where you know that everyone on your team knows what they're doing, dictatorial comms may prove more effective, but I would try to keep my team having fun before trying to strangle a victory out of them.

Maybe it's just that I cannot bring myself to be aggressive when I comm, but IMO no comm should be too aggressive on a public match.