Brenodi Imperial Navy (WIP)

Discussion in 'Art' started by TheLiberalElitist, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

how about, tankmaps... and water maps?`like. Like it would depend on the map that is there vehicle factory or shipfactory or command vehicle or command submarine. canont brain today.

2. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

But how would one ninja a CV submarine? :eek:
    [​IMG]

3. Juice

Juice Member

Are you sick in your think?

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

5. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Lemmie correct your design liberal. No Modern Military uses main guns anymore due to lack of range. Everyone uses missiles now, I know this because my job is work work on MK 41 VLS on Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers.

In short, I work on this system:

[​IMG]

The Missiles go straight up and the turn quickly to the target, they are loaded with missiles for everything, subs, ships, aircraft.

You should be looking to the new Zumwalt class destroyer/Cruiser for inspiration. Any Brenodi ship would look something like this:
    [​IMG]

Those gun an missile slots are built to be interchangeable too.

The reason it looks angular is because when a radar wave bounces off an object if it bounces at the right angle it will bounce back to the radar receiver and show up as a return, the more waves that bounce back the bigger the signature.

By making the the ship angled instead of smooth it will insure the ship stays nearly invisible in most angles.

6. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I was think of something like that, only the submarine would be the only ship craft that could launch missiles, and using the minimap you could pinpoint the exact coordinates for the missile to hit. To make sure it was not op there would be an effective range for the missiles and the sub would be very weak.(Maybe a little bit more armored then a jeep.)

This was one of the designs for the Brenodi submarine I did.

[​IMG]

After talking to MOOtant he wanted something more submarine like. so back to the

I also redesigned the destroyers. I think my initial plan was to make it more of a classic battleship design, but yea looking at modern navies the battleship is extinct. So maybe adding manual targeted missiles back into the design would actually be a good idea.

Just trying to have to add as little new code as possible.

Northern Faction
    [​IMG]

Brenodi
    [​IMG]

7. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Well missiles are more effective, litterally we have a missile for just about everything, including Tomahawks for attacking land targets, the only weapons any warship currently carries is:

1x 5' main gun (2x 5' if it's a cruiser)
    2x MK 41 VLS launchers (1 FWD 1 AFT)
    2x 25mm guns
    2x SVTT Torpedo tubes
    4x .50 cal mounts

But the way you could do it is simply pick what weapons you want where and then pick what ammo you want for it. Missiles could just use LOS. If you've ever played and of the Battlestations games you'll know what I'm talking about.

As for Strike Warfare with cruise missiles you could just have the weapon controlled and flown via a camera, as you really can't point at a target on a mini map and expect the missile to navigate the terrain on the way there on it's own.

The sub should look similar to modern subs, or if you want to be futuristic um...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Subs are designed to be smooth and round for the purpose of structural integrity, sonar uses sound imaging, if a sub makes noise sonar or a sonar ping bounces off the hull sonar picks it up and it shows as a contact.

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

TV guided rockets sound good

also: i quite like the design of the BE sub you made

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Thing is, whilst rockets are undoubtedly better, having big cannons looks more badass.

10. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

So would adding something like sonar to detect subs and for subs to detect ships work? Also would having something like a depth charge work as well? Guided missiles to take out subs underwater would be pretty nice. But while your guiding the missiles something else could come and attack you.

So which would be more practical game-play wise a depth charge or a guided missile?

11. Trickster

I have absolutely zero idea how ships would work at all, if they ever were added. But if they were of a proper size rather than scaled down versions, you should probably remember that people will need to walk around on them.

12. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I am going to outline everything for the devs in a pdf. Just have not got around to it.

13. Trickster

If you mean in terms of gameplay, then just be aware that we might disagree with literally all of it just because we can.

fixed, blizzy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  14. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

15. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Depth Charge and Torpedoes, our missiles are called an ASROC or Anti-Submarine ROCket. It's basically a Torpedo with a rocket booster strapped to it.

It basically works by just launching > going to the pre-programed area > ejecting the MK46 torp that parachutes into the water > the MK 46 uses it's own built in Acoustic sonar to either passively track targets from the sound they emit naturally, or actively by send out it's own pings to track a target > Kill

So I'd just stick with torpedoes and depth charges.

16. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

torpedoes on the big boats depth charges on the fast boats?

17. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Just curious, if there are going to transport ships, would they carry vehicles and inf, or just one. if so would it be like an APC where everybody is in a seat vs being free to roam on the ships deck.
    because on other source mods ive played, even the best scripting for watercraft had serious problems when it came to people being on the ship while it moved. and even more problems when you would try to put vehicles on it.
    But then again, other source mods dont have badass scripters like Empires.
    Aircraft anyone? *cough cough*

18. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Ya I have seen that too the object seem to go crazy when touching another object with physics, maybe there is a workaround, or it may be a problem with source. When aircraft are going to be implemented I have no clue, you need to talk to the devs I am doing this project purely independently.

19. Angry

Angry Junior Member

The Original plan was for the largest buildible naval ship to be an Amphibious Assault Ship, like the WASP Class LHD.

LHDs are not as large as a carrier but are tailored to Marine operations.
    [​IMG]

If you look at the back you'll see the cage covering the well deck which is a flood-able compartment used to carrier LCAC's or air cushioned hovercraft. They also have the ability to launch VTOL aircraft (which all empires aircraft are VTOL capable) and rotary aircraft.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The original idea for empires behind this was to be able to purchase and launch aircraft, as well as buy vehicle load outs for landing craft. but it was very slow and very expensive.

20. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Unless Empires quadrupled (at least, probably more) in scale, the above concept would only work in maps built around the boatbase. :eek:

Interesting question: What do the design documents propose the maximum scale of the maps and size of players could/would/should be?