Boomtanking

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Sep 10, 2009.

?

Do you like it, when your commander goes boomtanking?

1. Yes, boomtanking rules!

36 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. No, because it's selfish and team is mostly fucked

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Doesn't care about it

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Do you like it, when your commander goes boomtanking?

I guess that 25% of commander fails when they go boomtanking. So in my opinion it is much to risky although it sometimes helps your team a little bit.

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I like it when I do it.
    I hate trees too.

3. FN198

FN198 Member

depends on the kind of boom tanking. in my own personal experiments with boomtanking, and my observations of opposing commander's uses of boomtanking i have found that there are rules to the game of boomtanking.

well not rules but ive seen (experienced) all the surefire ways to get screwed.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ya.. You gotta do it quick, if you do it too long, someone will change to scout/place down a wall.

5. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Or you get ninja'ed by a tree.

6. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Back in the days you had to boomtank to be a good commander, for the most of the times the game was decided by the commanders alone. I liked that, but it was probably very selfish and boring for the rest of the team.
    Even now with the one minute timer you can still do a lot for your team by boomtanking, but you should only do it to a certain degree and take no risks, like I do for the most of the time when I command. You should not make circles around the enemy barracks or contiune run over the same people for a longer time, because they will stun you if you contiune it.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Sonecha:

You have the most roadkills with BE CV (hopefully you are only doing this to help your team and not for point farming ;) ).
    And mostly you don't fail.
    But other commanders, which are not playing that often maybe try to copy this and fail quite often. The only problem with this is, that then also the whole team loses.

So I personally only do boomtanking for defending main base (walling in some newbie tank drivers is very effective).

Lowering the max. speed of the CV would help but I can guess that most of you won't like this.

PS: Altough I don't go boomtanking I receive sometimes only a few and sometimes quite many points as commander. I don't care much about them, it would just to be interesting why.

8. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I dont care as long as they dont get walled in.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont like it and i would like it to be removed. although, its a very efficient strategy to distract the enemy as most players are like "omg i'm so awesome i'll win the game now". and they start to forget that half of the team running after the enemy commander archieves absolutely nothing. its a nice psychological trick, i gotta say im kinda prone to that from time to time too. ^^

but and this overlaps with some other suggestions in some other threads you will need to give our comanders something else to play with. something they can get their kicks from. i bet most of you, especially the ones that voted "im a hardcore gamer" play this game for the adrenalin rush you can get out of it (yeh i know it gets less and less over time - addiction is a bitch - tho if you are honest to yourself im sure you wont disagree). all players on the field are permanently in the risk of dieing, not the commander, hes pretty safe for a long time now (since 9mining is gone) so its a rather boring job (unless you have you own personal metagame, like yelling at your team, as HSM does for example). and if we really want to remove commander mass targets, as most agree on, comms will desperatly in need of anything to give them the feeling that their job isnt something a trained monkey could do aswell ...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I'm playing this game to relax after work. Am I doing it wrong?

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well getting "the kick" is something relaxing ... unless you are a real casual gamer, i just think you lie to yourself ;)
    btw its nothing bad to do this. its only the general understanding in our societies that tell you drugs are immoral ...

also please dont rip my sentences out of context

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  12. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

It is important to remember you are still a soldier when in the CV, you can turn the battle just like anyone else, not through skillful commanding, but through killing and taking ground. When playing say, 8 v 8, you are a large fraction of your team. If you knock out 3 people cowering behind a wall in one fell swoop, you have taken almost half their players out, which will obviously give you a missive advantage. This effect is not only lessened when the teams are more like 25 v 25, but it becomes far more risky - the more people there are, the more likely it is that someone gets a wall in the right place, or that they have sticky stuns. It's really these 2 things you have to look out for, so as long as you avoid this as much as possible, it's fine.

13. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'd prefer the comm not do it, but its better than slowly losing. I'd rather the comm try a high risk/high reward strategy (like boomtanking) than spend the next hour failing.

14. Empty

Empty Member

I don't boomtank. I'm not skilled enough and I can never get infantry kills in comms due to ping/shit driving.

I can still win 5 matches in a row on pub games though, superior tactics and research ftw.

15. o_O

o_O Member

Shitty boomtanking is shitty. Good boomtanking is good. Sure Ive gotten walled in and killed plenty of times, but I have also won games by stomping infantry rushes in the early game. Part of the problem is the insane places you can get stuck (vertically pasted against the side of a BE VF is my favorite).

If your loosing, you should either loose hard or eke out a victory through doing crazy stuff. Getting killed in a last ditch rush to the enemy comm is much better then getting killed after turtling in base for half an hour.

besides, there is NOTHING ELSE FOR THE COMM TO DO. You research, give targets and then either sit around doing squat until the research finishes or you go smash some fools. Its honestly hard not to after coming 2-3 games in a row.

16. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Boomtanking is necessary while a server fills up especially 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2,
    as more ppl join as less is the effect you can gain with risking the cv,
    but if im loosing a battle or if ive to defend a base i start boomtanking, at least to distract the enemy, and its very enjoyable to drive lts on a walls, use the handbrake to stop them from escaping and watch your team taking it out slowly ...

17. Demented

Demented Member

I enjoy lambasting commanders who boomtank and fail, especially if I previously warned them that the enemy was prepared for it, or if he nearly got trapped (or was trapped and freed) the last time.
    So long as you run at least a couple people over, however, boomtanking can do no wrong in my heart.

18. communism

communism poof

Theres only a couple people that I trust to boomtank, if anyone else tries it the match usually ends quick

19. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

recently ive lost confidence in my ability to boomtank, i need to practice in small games, its to hard to do it in a 30 slot server thats full, and i have no clue how you guys manage it in a 40 slot, useally i just drop a turret and keep doing it to distract boomtankers untill they fall behind/my teams geting targets and other isnt so we gain ground, then i just run out at a bunch of turrets lobing nades and pistolwhiping the cv's!

20. o_O

o_O Member

If you boomtank near friendly forces and get walled in your team demolishes the enemy while they sit there building ML's like idiots. Thats really the trick to boomtanking, do it with backup.

The NF boomtank is strictly inferior sadly, so be careful with it. Drift into infantry sideways. If they try to drop a turret you just bounce off it and keep going.

You can pretty much go wild in a BE boomtanks and you won't get caught unless you end up with a wall building engi in front of you AND behind you.