Blast radius

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Nutnoze, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Nutnoze

Nutnoze Member

I don't think this hs been mentioned before but I was thinking that when missiles and artillery level up they can have larger explosions, even if it's just a bigger version of the same effect, it would be nice for the nuke to actually NUKE something and not just make a small, high-powered explosion :eek: .

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

artillery and stuff are big enough.

Nuke is pretty weak for it's namesake but I doubt it'd be fun to have about 6000 res wasted in an instant because someone managed to point and click in your direction =P

3. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

ATM i'm working on a cluster missile launcher (ala Tiberian sun) for a map im planning :P The launcher will be in middle, an infantry only zone, you can win by either capturing and holding the nuke launcher for like 10 mins(or whatever), or the conventional way using tanks n shit.

if that satisfies you :P

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

maybe give the nuke a really big radius, but rather weak attack, so it is a NUKE

5. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

Nukes are both big radius and huge damage.

6. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

A nuclear missile is one that uses the nulculi of the molecues on the core to create an explosion, in no way does that mean it has to be a large explosion like the multi megaton nuclear bombs you are familiar with.

The nukes are fine, get used to them.

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

I thought it split the atom(s)? I have no idea how they really work, this is just what I've heard. Don't kill me, just kindly correct me if I'm wrong :)

8. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

9. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

[​IMG]

The amount of energy released by every fusion of a pair of hydrogen atoms is roughly equal to that of a ton of coal (at least that's what I remember reading; either way, just consider it a rough figure, as it's such a fuzzy number, anyway). Boiling it down to that alone, then the warhead in Empires must contain only a handful (as in 6-8, not an actual handful) of deuterium (Hydrogen prepped for fusion) atoms.

Considering that a fission reaction is also involved, though, and considering that it has to emit enough radiation to create enough plasma to sustain a fusion reaction... Well, I think reality goes out the window, here. Calling it a nuclear missile mostly conveys the notion that this is a giant "kill shit" button.

(Fun fact: it took two hours for me to actually finish writing this post because of distractions.)

10. Atlas

Atlas Member

I think Nutnoze meant the effect itself, not the damage or blast radius per se. Just the effect.

11. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I give you +10 awesome points for that post...

-Sheepe

12. Nutnoze

Nutnoze Member

Yah, would be cool if you actually saw a big explosion not to mention got killed by it... Invisible blast radiuses work, but its a lot cooler to see the explosion itself, and when you get blown into a million tiny pieces by a nuke you go :eek: .

13. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

When it splits the atoms it called a atom bomb dumbass lol watch history channal

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yeah, wow, okay... If we're really going to start in on scolding each other about not knowing our stuff, I could take some pot shots at your punctuation and spelling, there... But I wouldn't want to be an ass about it, would I?

And I certainly wouldn't want to be incorrect. Nabbed stright from Wikipedia:

Fusion bombs involve the splitting of an atom to create the conditions in which nuclear fusion can occur. The bomb can be called any of the above names; notice "atom bomb" is not one of them. While the atom bomb does primarily involve splitting a heavy atom, splitting an atom is not exclusive to the atom bomb. Let's review.

-The fusion bomb involves the splitting of atoms.
    -The fusion bomb is not called the atom bomb.
    -Therefore, it splits atoms, and is not called an atom bomb.
    -The original claim, "When it splits the atoms it called a atom bomb" is false.
    QED

The process of splitting atoms is called fission, Mikey. There's a lot more to it than you know. You remember that little equation people always throw around, pretending to know what it means?
    Yeah. That's involved, among other things, such as the strong nuclear force and many neutrons. So I would suggest that if you felt it necessary to correct someone, you should at least make sure you have a basic understanding of the involved concepts, or, failing that, be civil about it.

And Sheepe, thank you for the awesome points. I put them right into my awesome bank, where I hope to generate awesome interest. :D

15. Jn.

Jn. Member

Yeah fox, I find it truly annoying to be flamed by some ignorant kid. I try to ignore it, but it's hard :) Thank you for enlightening me on how fusion bombs work. Maybe I'll go engineer my own...........

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

ooo! I can explain e=mc^2!! PICK ME! PICK ME!

-Sheepe