Bio-Cannon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by RoboTek, Mar 8, 2009.

1. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I was looking at the tech chart, and really bio needs a cannon somewhere in it. The reason is fairly simple..

Physics: Two cannons, armor, engine, best missile in game.
    Chemistry: Good Cannon, multiple missiles
    EE: A few missiles, turrets, best cannon in game

Bio: Interesting/Wield missile and MG

Every other category has their own cannon, and one of the reasons BE has a current disadvantage is a poor early game when not researching bio, and an inability to transfer to a bio-based cannon after this research.

Proposed:

Biological Warfare->Advanced Delivery Methods->Biological Shell

Bio Cannon:
    Cost: 60
    Damage: 30
    Cycle Time:1.6
    Speed: 2800
    Clip Size: 30 rounds
    Slots: 2
    Weight: 60
    Added Heat: + 14
    Explosion Radius / Force: 250 / 100
    Description: A cannon that fires shells that contain infectious material to do continual damage to a target. Each hit deals 6 damage per second for 30 seconds. (Affects vehicles and infantry)

This will give cannons with a dual-purpose anti-infantry nature that are reasonably good at killing other armor and bad at close range combat.

Currently there are half as many cannons as either MGs or Missiles. This isn't a problem itself as long as they cover all necessary roles between them, they do not. I would be fine with there being a cannon in the tech tree in the mechanical area to give differentiation between the groups, but I cannot for the life of me think of what it would be.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Hi,

nice assessment.
    Bio cannons are planned along with a whole bunch of new weapons, like plasma missiles.

3. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Ranged Missle? :p Ranged MG? :p HE Missles? :p lol I hope that there are lots more Heavy Cannons planned as well such as Heavy HE cannon...etc (3slot) and lots more 1 slot weapons as well :D

4. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

HE missiles = UML no?
    This is only relavent to the 'oddball' trees, plasma and bio wep. there really should be plasma missiles and bio cannons, hurry up with that devz.

Also ranged missile is a homing missile, which doesn't seem right. maybe you could have an actual ranged missile.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

wut...

blow me away... srsly?

6. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I was actually thinking about what a bio cannon would be last night, and couldn't think of anything.

A mechanical missile could be one that produces below average heat.

I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't require a lot of extra coding and wouldn't be a mimic of the bio ML. I suppose it wouldn't be SO terrible if it mimicked the ML though.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a cannon shell using the pressure power of bacteria to propel itself, causing near-no heat, no smoke behind the shell and average damage

top it with a biological deterrent on armor sauce

8. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Lol, a cannon shell that falls out the end of the barrel.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

No... It is propelled by the power of fart. Those farts can be pretty deadly, you might need to deploy your tank so it doesn't fly in the other direction.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

guided bio cannons ftw!

finally a way to counter gmls ^^

why should the bio-cannon be different than the missile?
    the effect is the same, damage over time.
    you cant change much in how cannons or missiles work in general.
    they either travel along a straight line or parabel ^^

i guess bio should splat (area of effect) on hit, cant think of anything only armor penetrating ...

so yes, basically the bioml as biocn (and no guided wasnt meant serious :p )

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  11. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

There is very little reason to make a distinction between cannons and missile if both groups can produce the same affects. The whole point of grouping is to create and distinguish differences.

Otherwise, why not just call my BioML a cannon and move on.

"Oh, but BE can only have one, and if there was a BioCannon, they could have two."

Good idea, lets just make both teams identical and remove 60% of the tactics in the game, dumbing it down for a PopCap audience... *sarcasm* **jazz hands**:rolleyes:

12. flasche

erm thats basically how the game works atm. i mean its basically built that way. as the original poster said, there are missiles and cannons in each category except bio. he forgot about plasma, but hey its plasma :D

well anyway. i think its a good point. and there still is a big difference just by how the two weapon types work.
    - missiles travel a straight line.
    - they have clips (dunno is clips the right word someone was argueing about that in another thread?)
    - they produce less heat.
    - its a bit easier to dodge them over distance
    - they do a bit more damage

with some exceptions i think this is basically how weapons are intended to be in this game. i cant really answer this, im no developer, but it looks like.

apart from that they are basically the same, as there is no special armor penetration chance or something.

so what reasonable effect you want to add to a shell, that you can link to biological?

13. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Additional ideas for biotech are

Slow target down(sticky cannon)

Harms Hull directly (acid cannon)

Has a very large blast radius that can also hit all sides (acid/gas spray).

Can somehow hit the driver of the vehicle directly (agan, poison gas)

Organic propellant (high velocity)

Those cover the range of decent ideas I have.

14. flasche

i dont really get the problem with a "classic" bio cannon? its reasonable, i bet it could be done under one minute and the outcome would be easily predictable.

edit:
    i get it, its because of my guided bio cannon joke before ahaha

15. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

The research trees weren't originally meant to be as simple as themed equal versions of one another. There is actually a lot going on with the research tree design.
    • Duality: Bio counters Bio, Physics counters Physics, Chemistry counters Chemistrey, etc.
    • Specialization: Mechanical for Chassis, Chemistry for weapons, Bio for cost/speed
    • Flavors: Engine & Armor in each tree
    • Structure: Mechanical is a deep tree, Chemistry is a wide tree.
    The upside to bio is it has a shallow tree, the down side to bio is it has a shallow tree. That's not a coincidence or the result of a lack of effort from devs(although many other things are *bazing!* ;)).

16. flasche

was that deep/shallow/wide tree thing really something that was considered during the design phase?

hmm ...

how does it add to the game?

17. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

It adds to the complexity/variety of the game, increasing the games playable domain, allowing for more in-depth strategy and robust experience.

18. flasche

good ...

bio cannon

pros
    It adds to the complexity/variety of the game, increasing the games playable domain, allowing for more in-depth strategy and robust experience.

cons
    cobalt blue doesnt like it

alternatives
    probably

scnr :D

19. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

20. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

"Bio Acid Cannon"

"This cannon uses shells which have small amounts of biological liquids in their containers which corrode everything surrounding them when the containers break upon impact."

© Mr. Weedy 2009

Idea doesn't come up instantly, good idea doesn't come up in days but when it does, and you add a bit of speciality to that idea, it is unique.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009