Binoculars

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Grantrithor, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ok I can already tell that some peeps are just going to read the title, not read this post, and reply with "HURR DURR empires all-read-ee haz binocs, the scoot class has it noob" no that is NOT what I am about to write about, go home, go away, and sit in your room with your banned WoW account and that poster of a Volkswagen Beetle you have.

Back to getting on the point.

On the point: I was playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW) and both singleplayer and multiplayer has this really, I mean, REALLY useful item. The binoculars. Continue reading please because I already know the scout(aka the shit class that pros don't stop playing in district and the noobs try to play as in district) has binoculars. I am talking in the sense of ALL the units having binoculars.

For instance, today I attempted to play duststorm or dusstorm or dustorm or whatever it is called, and I tried to see if in the middle valley, on the cliffs, if there were units, since the terrain and units look the same when they are miles away. I tried pressing B and got PISSED because this was empires and B is not the convenient binoculars button and also Rifleman can't use Binoculars because they don't have any.

The Binoculars would be used like in RTCW multiplayer, where every class but the lieutenant(RTCW only class, in enemy territory he is called field ops) has just normal, looking around binoculars for spotting where enemy units are. The Lieutenant/Field ops can use the binoculars for arty strikes. The counter part in empires would be that the scout would use them for arty strikes, and only the scout(because 25 people on one team all spotting targets for everyone at the same time is annoying).

I just hope someone like me can see the usefulness of seeing targets from a far way off, and don't come here with you "the commie-ander can just tell you to attack dem targets" NO THAT IS NOT THE POINT DON'T TALK IF YOU COME TO SAY THAT, THE POINT IS IS THAT THEY ARE USEFUL FOR SEEING FAR OFF AT THINGS THAT THE COMMANDER CAN'T SEE AND TARGET FOR YOU, SO YOU TARGET THEM FOR YOURSELF AND CAN ANTICIPATE THINGS AND CAN EVEN TELL THE COMM AND TEAM THAT A WHOLE SHITLOAD OF TANKS ARE COMING FOR THE CONVENIENTLY UNDEFENDED BASE BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS AT SBEND OR IS A NOOB!

By the way the multiplayer for RTCW and Empires are really alike, the huge difference being there is no RTS element or vehicles, but a lot of things are the same, and once aircraft come in they would have the air strikes thing that RTCW Multiplayer has(the bomb with coloured smoke coming out to pinpoint a region for a bomber to bomb).(something that could go with aircraft if it is seen useful for pilots to notice blue coloured smoke if they are brenodi, or red if jekotia, and do some kicking ass.)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

So they are both FPS? What a small world.

HURR DURR empires all-read-ee haz binocs, the scoot class has it noob. Everything you described wanting to be able to do you can do, just not always as far without binoculars. If you need binocs to even see an enemy, your weapon won't be very effective at that range (exception being riflemen, read on). Most talented riflemen have no trouble pegging enemies from rediculous distances already, I highly doubt giving them even more ability to find targets would be a good thing.

3. Zeke

Zeke Banned

We dont need binocs while being riflemen...

what we need is further default view distance!

the darn enemy goes out of max view when im sniping with the carbine :(

and if u cant see targets up to the current max view distance (excluding proning scouts with hide active located in shadows or the exact location of people hiding inbetween trees.. where switching between binocs take too long time so they start shooting you or move), then u need glasses or a better screen resolution.

*makes wicked laughters as he thinks about poor engis getting sniped from half across the map by the carbine*

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

What we need is bigger falloff for all rifles and SMGs.

5. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

This is where sniping went.

Great, At least if the scout was useful, we could have counter snipers.

6. Empty

Empty Member

I hope for your sake you mean less damage reduction.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Fuck falloff, we need a boost on scout rifle, with a scrollable zoom! able to snipe like a madman, hell, I dont even use the scope in games I run around and no scope because the sniper rifles in most games are powerful as madness, in empires rifle is shit, no point to it except for getting up close and headshotting, but whats the point because the sniper rifle is so wavy that you hit them in the chest once and they hit you in the chest 17 times. its a high chance you will miss the head with this wavy rifle when looking at 600 metres or so. Shit i just like the binoculars, they are fricken useful, I have to play scout who doesn't have a hmg or a heavy rifle but a useless short range sniper rifle with scope, a not so powerful gun, and a not so accurate gun. Balance in empires is like balance between iron and gold, shit nevermind there is no balance, gold sinks in mercury while iron floats in it.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well I did mention about the convenient B button for the binocs, and well in RTCW they are instant, just a little fade in for a slight realism at bringing these belt held binocs thats in a convenient and easy to access place, such as your belt, and bam, mousewheel zooming and everything else that was explained in its manual. so that means no taking too long time, unless if the empires dream team wants to make it take a long time, then this would be a useless suggestion.

9. Zeke

Zeke Banned

if im at a known position and the enemy riflemen is hiding in the forest, then i get about 2 seconds to use binoc, find a person, go back to my rifle, ironsight in and fire... assuming they are stationary and dont move a muscle/fire back which would result in me losing my target.
    it would hardly help me with binocs really.

10. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

I want teh BI-NOCS! for mah rifleman so I can actually use the heavy rifle.

11. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

Just bind it to a key and I'll be fine.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

yes binding it to a key and being fine is what this is about.

13. beatandgo

beatandgo Member

Yes, definitely more base falloff for SMGs especially. So they're less like supersoakers and more like a firearm that doesn't tickle those smiley rifleman.

14. PahaLukki

PahaLukki Member

That's not actually too bad an idea. Maybe if the binocs would lock on pointed enemy infantry, vehicles or buildings and on left mouse button you could put out an automatic "I've spotted enemy something something in XX". With some time delay to prevent constant spamming. The target could be in a frame for a while for others to see as well. I rarely use my mic for anything due to poor pronunciation and umm.. typing is slow and the F shout commands are not too useful in a hurry. Often I just get lost and end up taunting or something. Yes, well, perhaps I should just bind stuff to my F-keys for example.

To help the commander further, I think empires could benefit from map ping signals by the commander's mouse, and also drawn arrows and text on the minimap. Anyone who has ever played Guild Wars knows what I'm talking about.