BigSheild Generator

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Jun 12, 2006.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

An expensive building that generates a sheild that stops all misiles and shells. The sheild would be big enough that it can cover a base from artillary. It would not stop any inf or vehicles from going through.
    The major balancing feature: Every time a shell hits the sheild, the sheild shuts down except for where the shell hit the sheild. After a moment it would revert back to full bubble mode. This way it would only stop some of the shells. Only one sheild generator per team.

What do you think?

2. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

It's too sci-fi for Empires. Otherwise I would like it.

3. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

Empires seems more like WW1 based with some modern technology. I don't really like this idea. Maybe an anti-munitions turret would fit in better for taking out arty shells.

4. Chahk

Chahk Member

And repair droids aren't? :p

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

If it's made in Paint, it's not advanced.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

To unbalanced; the sheild would have to be two way and require a consitent surply of res to make it more fair. Also an overload feature to prevent it from be indistructable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  7. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

All damage to it would go straight to the generator. which wouldnt last long. And also if 2 were in contact with eachother they would bothe blow up to prevent spamming,

And i have no idea why i am saying this as the Devs have already shot it down

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

This would be a but too Sci-Fi (Belongs more in star wars :P) something more gritty like a gun trying to shoot incoming missles down would be a bit more of an empires feel...

Does exact same thing except it looks diffrent...

Or maybe thats the variation between NF and Brenodi? so it doesnt feel like cookie cutter races.

Brenodi use the shield thing, Maybe its just like an EMP field just fries incoming missles, and steers them, or blowing them up mid air. Has a wider range of effect meaning more missles can get scrambled but, its not 100% effective, some missles get through, or just steered to a diffrent place (still in your base)

NF could use that gun thing, it tries to shoot down incoming missles (Think the gunship in HL2) Very effective in shooting down missles, but it targets only 1 at a time, and it could take a while to shoot a missle down...

Both feel a bit diffrent and function diffrently

9. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Although it may feel out of place for empires, you guys have to realize your imaginations can only travel so far within a walled area. Who defines the empires "feel"? What if the shield/gun-targeting technology was discovered deep with the ancient city's libraries? The gun for NF and the shield for BE seem interesting, and would stop things like arty spam or ML turret spam... check the thread on the base radar jamming turrets for an alternate solution to turret spam as well.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/missile_systems/systems/THEL.html

this woud be a good start to an nf concept anti projectile turret

maybe the nf turret can only handle 1 projectile evry 5 seconds due to overheat issues?

and the shield for emp need to be indistructible, (only blockinprojectiles not tanks and infantry thoug) commander activated/deactivated and drain recourses constantly? like 5 recourses evry 30 seconds (so you need to at least have 10 standard recourse towers to run it continually without needing to shut it down due to lack of recourse

both shoud be a building, not a turret, and preferrably a building that can be placed only once
    both shoud have the same range
    both shoud be moddeled to look modern, but whithout losing there class style

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I was thinking the NF gun would actualy shoot good ol' led with a sound that goes

"Bah, Bam, Bah, Boom , Bang, Bah bah bah"
    But lasers are always good too...

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you cant shoot down missiles with bullets, you shoud "lead" the target as far that the bullets will have lost there power to damage it,

and when it is in range of doing any damage to the missile, it woud be to close allready

13. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

The shield: Its a cool idea, but too kinda.. sci-fi / star wars. I can see why people would think that. If it wasnt Empires, I'd be all for it.
    And why the hell are drones too sci-fi? Does that mean we are currently living in a sci-fi world? Are we all made up? Theres already drones on other planets! The drones are a great idea.

I can imagine something more like others suggested:

BE = Patriot / Defender missile systems - shooting down incoming missiles and shells
    These defence systems would use missiles to shoot incoming shells, and have some sort of chain gun on the side or top for shooting missiles. I chose a chain gun to shoot the missiles as missile VS. Missile seems silly maybe? and unescesary.
    Heres a picture I drew: (Click the pictures!)
    The "Tahoma MK5"
    [​IMG]

NF = As someone else suggested, something along the lines of a Flak Cannon?
    Well heres a drawing I did... kinda ugly.. I dont expect anyone else to like it much.
    Flak is.. as far as I remember.. chunks of lead squashed into shells (?) that have a large impact radius. Also effective against aircraft.
    Here it is:
    The "Flak Cannon" (No points for originality there then :P)
    [​IMG]

Upon further thought and reading, how about maybe the NF are the only team that posess the shield technoligy? Be it very limited. Or perhaps some sort of "Laser Field" Turret like.. or maybe something attached to a building?
    I was thinking some sort of rotating platform attached to a building with a sphere on top with Laser-focusing "Eyes" (Only word I could think of) on it that focus the lasers, firing at shells and missiles, destroying them. Look at the picture and tell me what you think?
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]

I think if the BE have the Tahoma MK5 and the NF have the laser field, that stops it sort of being.. one side has one thing and the other has an equal counter.
    Also, there would be no "Overheating" issues with the lasers. At least not any that cause it to overheat after one or two focused shots. That would be terrible design and I cant understand why anyone would field a weapon like that. So that the armies are balanced? I dont think so! :P

Feedback please?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

looks nice, but..

why dous it have to be a "defender" or "patriot" missile turret???? those rockets are very bad, they are used in america becous they are cheap and easy to construct, and i dont like to give empires a clear POR* to any real life warfare material for that matter

better make an "imaginary" rocket name, or dont name it at all

we europeans (and all other non amerians for that matter) woud prefer a bit more "non american" tolerance
    it seems like evrything (in gaming, for example) is from americans for americans these days!

they feed us with a spoon: USA is the best, they have the best equipment, they can overcome anything, they dominate the world etc...

all the stuff named above is USA propaganda, and untrue, infact, it is well known in europ that small country's tend to have better trained, better equipped and flexibler army's then larger country's

the netherlands for example have the best equipped G.I. in the world, belgium has the best trained para's

plz dont ignore us for being smaller, its not the size that matters, its how you use it ;) :p

dont forget, your precius USA goverment has gigantic loans to europe, they need 236 years to repay them, the exact amount of money is unkown becous it is being kept silent in the media by the CIA in america
    europeans allso have great investments in the USA goverment, just as china, if we woud "retract" these investments the large and powerful USA woud crumble in weeks

this is not a blackmail or anything, i just want to shake you guys awake,

we europeans (and all other non american country's) are not some fable of ancient times, we did not extinct millions of years ago, nether do we live in caves and eat fungus and carry clubs, nor are we silly mad guys who carry loads of ak-47 all over the place (at least most of us dont )

i woud really like to see a change of additude from the american side,
    we are your friends, and we DO exist! plz dont treat us like inferiors,

and missile vs missile/arty shell is the most effective actively used way to take them out

they are doing some reseach in iraq and germany about lazers thoug but the system is still to big to use in a mobile way

flak woud be even worce, the system isint used anymore cous it only works for slow aircrafts (b52 bomber for example)

*= point of reference, a clealy recognisable image, for propaganda uses

15. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

Dammit!
    "you cant shoot down missiles with bullets, you shoud "lead" the target as far that the bullets will have lost there power to damage it,"

Leading is when the gun fires in front so that THE BULLETS HIT THE MISSILE. It doesnt fire in front so that they do more damage!

I'm not accepting that bullets cannot damage missiles until I am proved wrong, since as far as I can tell, that guy doesnt nesceseserily (EH! typo..) know what he is talking about.

And how close is too close? How big is a missile blast radius? say 50m (Being generous) And can a gun fire 100M? YES!

And that building.. ISNT mobile! It's a rotating sphere that focuses lasers. Nothing about the building moves apart from the rotating sphere.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no, the building is a test lab, to test and modify the technology for mobile usage (its goal)

they intend to make an apc like vehicle with a lazer on top

edit: prove it, show me a picture of anti missile gatheling technology, any anti missile gun woud do fine

17. AlexCA117

AlexCA117 Member

Krenzo, and last time I checked he didn't like shield generators or lasers IIRC.

18. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

Look dude, I dont have any wishes to fall out with anyone in the Empires forums as I love this community ^_^
    If you say that bullets cant shoot missiles, and give me some evidence (?) I'm cool with that.
    Also, I called the BE turret "Tahoma MK5" - NOT Patriot!
    I'm English!
    Also, as far as I'm concerned, I felt the laser-field idea for NF was cooler, so I wasnt just "supporting" BE because I may or may not like them more :P

Also, when I referred to "That" building, I was referring to the one I drew.
    I offer my apologies for our lack of communication.

I posted somewhere else also, that I envy your ability to understand more than one language, good job dude :)

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

becous then they were not good constructed, nether where they balanced

the concept is good, but still needs tuning