Bigger CV under attack warning

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

You know those lame suggestions where some idiot comes off after a bad game and vomits mind numbingly stupid ideas onto the forum? this is exactly one of those.

--------

In a game I just played, 19 people under my command, I was fortunate enough that atleast six or seven of these people were using mics, meaning that one or two of them were speaking constantly. among that, there was a great deal of explosions and other noise going on in the frantic battle, and to top it all off I was commander of a large team meaning my attention was taken all through the match. I personally think it's hardly surprising that the first I noticed that tanks were in the base my CV was in what when I absent mindedly looked at the minimap, and there on it was a blue rectangle next to me. turned out to be a med tank. I guess had I chosen a better path, I might have gotten away, but given that I already was on red health, flashing before I started moving and that the clever bastard had been shooting my rear meaning that driving away presented the one armourless side to him.

What I'm saying is that among lots of people talking, as well as explosions going on, and volume only medium level it's very easy to miss "commander under attack" voice messages that are so very vital to the game. Also considering that I was giving lots of targets to my team, the info list on the left of my view was filled constantly with "target destroyed" messages.

Suggestion: big red warning saying when commander is under attack to appear on the commanders hud. this could either be a red outline all the way around the edge, or as a big obvious box. I don't think any game should end purely because the comm was too busy to realise that he was being shot.

2. davee magee

davee magee Member

seconded.
    simple but effective,
    but only if the commander sees it...for the rest of the team i still think just the one warning.

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Thirded. If that is a word..... :p

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yeah the normal voice would remain for units on the battlefield.

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

How about the commander's name flashes red when he's under attack?

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

thats a good idea

it seems like when alot of sounds are being played the end up cutting each other off.. like THE COMMANDi need air support now!

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Lol a few matches ago my team couldn't hear me because everyone was yelling "I NEED A MEDIC" :p

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I believe this would be a great addition.

Judging from Krenzo's positive response here, I imagine it'll make it into the next patch.

9. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

If you do this, you need stupid large letters in rainbow colors flashing the full resolution of the computer.

It needs to be able to cause seizures.

Anything shot of that, and people still wont pay attention.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Just have Headshotmaster record a sound clip, and then replace the current one with that. :D

11. davee magee

davee magee Member

wow picture the empires reviews after that...

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

HSM's comm under attack message: "what the fuck is wrong with you guys? the fucking commander is under fucking atatck! get your fucking ass to the command vehicle now you fuck tards! kill those enemy fuckers!"

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

All though I agree, would be great to have the players realise that their comm was under attack, what i origionally meant was that the comm himself should realise it VERY obviously.

this can either be done in a typical video game fashion of your screen flashing red, or getting red tints at the edge, or a box appearing informing you you're being hit, which would be fine

the idea i just came up with is that as it's you actually in the comm vehicle, why not have it so that when you are in the comm view and you get hit, static fades in and out quickly, your screen shakes (more wobbles) slightly, and you can hear the explosion going off very close. I think people should feel that in the comm view, they are actually in the comm vehicle. If i was in there staring at a screen I think i'd notice a shell hitting me.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

even better, show the CV's armor levels somewhere in the hud

15. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like the screen messing up. afterall, the shock would mess up the view.

maybe even have it so you exit com view and go normal vehicle view. sure this would disable the com for a few secs but it would add a new tactic, minor dmg to com to disrupt him.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

is that neccessary? the commanders view is already very cluttered. whats more he can easily instantly find out the armour values by exciting the comm view by pressing E.

thats just my view.

17. Balo

Balo Member

make a BOOM HEADSHOT! sound every time the comm car is attacked xP

18. Chahk

Chahk Member

Oftentimes by the time you hear that the CV is under attack, it is already too late to do anything. It can be easy for 2 Grenadiers to 9th mine (or for 2 Riflemen to sticky) the CV to death before the Comm even realizes what's happening.

I've heard all the "crap defense" responses, but the reality is that in the heat of a battle, all "Our turret is under attack" messages sound the same. It's easy to take out the CV defences while the Commander is distracted by a battle taking place half-way across the map.

A while ago I proposed giving the CV itself a short-range camera/radar, and a Proximity Warning system that sends an audible alarm to the Comm when enemy units are detected in that area. To balance it out and give Scouts something else to do, make the Sticky Stun Bombs temporarily disable this system. This way a lone ninja doesn't stand a chance, but an assault squad (teamwork?) can still punch through.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ninjas are good for this game, If anything allow comms to specify specific structures as "important" which gives you a much larger warning if they are attacked.

20. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

it would keep ninjas in the game, but they would be a 2 man squad instead of a lone ranger.