Big SDK Update: What does it mean for Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by Doggeti, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Today the big and longingly awaited SDK update has been released. My question to the devs is now: What do the changes mean for our beloved mod Empires?

2. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I really hope it'll remove some of the bugs in Hammer... My mapping speed is quite low due to the fact that I constantly have to get some sedatives so I wouldn't beat the living daylight out of my computer....

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

lol, i dont have any hammer bugs that i no of..

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It really doesn't mean anything for Empires. The changes mainly affect those who are making mods based on HL 2 DM. Our code base is so modified that transferring any fixes over takes quite a bit of work. From glancing at the changes, I don't see anything that's worth the time and effort. I'm not even certain I saw anything that would actually benefit Empires.

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Optimization to box/ray traces against vphysics objects. Net result is that the new code is rougly 2.3X faster for traces that hit.

^?

6. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

Well, graphical updates are nice to have...
    A mod needs a community, as it looks now, this modding team dosen't do much to improove the quality of its work...

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

The Hammer has some fixes, but it has also gotten a bit more bugs. :( To avoid one of them run CS:S or HL2DM before you run Hammer, otherwise the camera is somewhere else than the grid...

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I failed to understand the meaning behind your message. Graphical updates have what to do with the Half-Life 2 SDK? What does the Half-Life 2 SDK have to do with the Empires community?

9. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

He probably meant that in relation to the physics ray-tracing, but he'll have missed the point.

That's not GRAPHICAL ray-tracing, it's PHYSICS ray-tracing. For, y'know, the physics engine. Havok. Not for what you see.

Be glad they don't use ray-tracing in HL2. People would brag about getting 10fps.