better manual

Discussion in 'General' started by mr_quackums, Jun 4, 2006.

?

have you ever read te official manual

1. yes, most/all of it

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. glanced at it, but didnt really read it

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. never opened it/opened it for a sec or 2

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i was in a game today and told some new guy to read the maual, as i do 1 of every 3 nights or so, and got to thinking, how helpful is it?

i couldnt find it on the main site, or the wikki (until i was almost done writing this post) so i started a game in an empty server and read a few chapters. in addition to many typos (is sais in vehicle customization the guns are on the right side) it is incomplete and out dated.

i understand that it is probably not a high priority to the devs who, bless their harts, work so hard on this game, but having a relevant, up to date, easy to find, and easy to read guide is almost manditory to a mod as complex as this.

so mabey a spot on the wikki could sufice. some sugestions.

VERY IMPORTANT:

on the research tree pics, have it say what each tech does (ex: it curently lets you know how to research improved det. compunds, but not what it does)

have it give the extra bonus each armor gives (not the numbers because they may change with each update and can be seen in game). ive been playing sense 1.00 and all i know is regenerative repairs itself.

list general engine deiferences (again, not the exact numbers, cause they may fluctuate(sp) every other week)

NOT SO IMPORTANT:
    have the message of the day on official servers show a link to the relevant pages on the wikki, or when you click get help (or what ever its called) it minimizes empires and opens the page with the manual in IE or firefox or whatever.

WHAT YOUR DOING RIGHT (on the wikki, im sorry but the manual is old and unpolished)
    discriptions of the classes, skills, vehicle chasis, buildings, how to get xp, and how to join squads.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

most things everyone learns with experience, why not actually help them learn the stuff? If they got helped by someone and got a lot better in the game, most likely they would like to help someone else aswell.

If you tell someone to read the manual and bitch at him, most likely hell do the same to the next new person.

I bet if you would answer his questions (if hes not a complete dick ofc) probly other people on the server would jump in aswell and make it so much easier for you and the new guy.

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The manual is out of date I believe.

4. Chew

Chew Member

i must confess one reason i never com is because i have absloloutely no idea about the tech tree :o

I even sat in my own lan server going through it but still No idea wtf does what really.

I know its nubbish but label it abit?? that way if a total douchebag gets in the com truck at least he/she can read the stuff and say woah

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  5. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

yah , ive read it a bit but i cant find any information on what researchable technology actually does .

6. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

7. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

I read through it to get a better understaning of comming after my first attemed failed miserable (The only time in my empires history I was called a noob x.x), but now I'm a good comm.. experience helped me the most though.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

9. zachtos

zachtos Member

the manual still seems great to me. It just gives the overall picture of the game and talks about objectives. Specific numbers being out of date is a non issue. Those numbers are up to date in the game itself.

10. Beerdude26

Well, the weapon page has been updated, various spelling errors have been fixed, the buildings have updated pictures and I added and deleted some stuff on almost every page.

11. Insano

Insano Member

Can't you host it as a webpage?

A lot of people (including me :))don't like to download random stuff.

12. Beerdude26

Good idea, one sec

Ummm... Does anyone have some webspace I could borrow? lol

Put it on a cheap freewebs account, lol
    http://www.freewebs.com/jellbeer/EMP/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  13. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

To be honest, I never read it. I prefer to learn first-hand.. though this can be annoying to other players, which I realise. So what I did to learn how to play, is create a listen server and just mess around myself.

I still plan on reading the manual eventually though

14. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Yes, finally someone who actually creates their own server to learn in!

Thats how it should be in all multiplayer games, if you know that you wont be able to quickly grasp the concept in your first MP server then create your own and learn them.