Beacon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by newguy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. newguy

newguy Member

If you've have played Source games then you would probably be aware of the admin capability of turning people into a beacon whereby a red ring constantly expands out of them.

I think that when a commander places a building down a ring (possibly red) should expand out once and then fade to let players know (within a specific area) that the commander placed a building there. I know that there is a 'boom' sound atm, but a lot of the time I don't realise that the commander placed a building because I don't hear it. A beacon on the other hand would be very obvious.

2. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

this would also alert the enemy team >.>

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can make things only draw for one team you know.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

why?

i mean, what's it for?

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Because some noob players can't be helped unless they see something, Almost like they play without speakers and don't understand english. You tell them to go somewhere and they just wonder around looking for it.

6. newguy

newguy Member

Some people don't play with their speaker volumes at max, and not everyone understands English. These people aren't classed as noobs.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Trying to play a multiplayer game with your sound at an inaudible level and being unable to follow instructions is kinda what I'd call noobish.

8. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

I did not think of this, i guess thats true, hehe

9. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Speaking of Beacons, in Tribes you could place beacons that did nothing toa normal player than but put down a dot and a range to the dot that showed up on the screen. However, with a Fusion Mortar, the beacon would give a line into the air and showed hw high to fire the mortar to hit the target. Same thing for the targeting laser. Me for this, for artie, and for Mow!

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

The BF'42 version of Empires had a "wrench" icon on top of unbuilt/damaged structures, alerting friendly players that they should go Engie and repair them. I'm kind of on the edge about this feature. On one hand it will help players see which buildings need fixin', but on the other - it will clutter up the HUD.

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

It won't clutter it much more than the arrows above squad leaders. Unless of course your commander farms turrets like mad and/or it's on walls.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

smoke does the same job though. where there is smoke, an engineer is needed.

13. newguy

newguy Member

The 'boom' sound is not that loud, it is only that which is inaudible. Not being able to understand English should not be discriminated, and is certainly not related to not being able to follow instructions.

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You are correct in that the boom sound is not very loud but, not being able to read English OR understand it when spoken, is kinda noobish in the fact that the Internet is run predominantly in English. If you can't understand English and your in an English speaking server, it might be better to be somewhere else where you understand what going on. You might as well be a def person listening to an orchestra. Sure watching it is interesting but, you still have no idea whats going on. :headshot:

That being said, not being able to understand your commander is VERY bad.

15. newguy

newguy Member

Bumped because this should be considered :/

16. Reef

Reef Member

Private Sandbag is right.

We have:
    1. smoke
    2. boom sound (You hear it when You are close)
    3. yellow icon on minimap
    4. commander order "guard this unit" (should be "build"/"repair", but this is discussed in an other topic)
    5. writing on chat "please build radar @ main"
    6. yelling to mic "engies go build repair pad at front"

6 methods to notify players that they should build something. You want 7 of them?! Why not popup window (rest of screen fades like with friends overlay) with animation that shows an engie with pointing to him and word "You", then engie is comming to the building and getting his tool as weapon (animation of finger pressing "4" on keyboard), then engie building (animation of left mouse click-and-hold).

Want to know is something is needed to be build? Use Your freaking minimap or ask Your commander ffs, don't go on forums and try to get the whole game modified :|

17. newguy

newguy Member

The last 3 aren't very good at all, and don't always happen. The 'boom' sound could be removed and replaced with the beacon. Smoke doesn't necessarily indicate that a new building has been built, just that it needs attention.

Because a beacon is going to change the whole mod. Slight exaggeration? Or dumb?

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

Aren't you the one who suggested a jeep drifting minigame?

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't think there's much need, even if it is

if you are commander and want someone to build something, there is the waypoint.

for infantry though this is really something un-neccessary. You're saying that someone ignoring ALL of the other things, they're gunna decide to do it if there's a waypoint?

as soon as players arn't noobs, they build stuff. the solution to the problem is a more easy to access manual

20. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

i think this is agreat idea, but instead of just doing it on spawnBuilding,

it should appear when commander tells it to

(kind of like pinging the minimap in wc3 if you've ever played that)