BE Bomber Design Study (another one)

Discussion in 'Art' started by theotherjms, Oct 4, 2008.

1. RepublicA

RepublicA Member

I feel completely the opposite. I was going to comment on how I thought the fins on front really complemented the BE's modern feel. The STOL-type wingtips are a nice touch too and make implementing this into the game more plausable and semi-realistic. I actually like this model a lot.

2. darktimes

darktimes Member

omg great work! keep it up and work on it. maybe the devs are interrested..
    I HOPE.

it fits perfectly, but for my it looks more like a fighter as a bomber. bombers are fatter i believe.
    EDIT. ups sorry, i didnt see the windows. in that human-machine comparision its perfect!

3. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

ppl need to add polls when the put up a new model so the dev's can get community feedback via votes.

i think it looks great, maybe some minor changes to BE-ize it a bit more but great starting point.

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Awesome :D

5. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm currently busy with university stuff, but I'll update the model soon.

6. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

You have no thrusters in the front.
    With the current balance, when it attempts to lift off, it will pitch forward uncontrollably.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

According to my knowledge

Most planes bigger then a Fokker DR-1 have no thrusters in the front, in fact the only common forward located thrust in airplanes are rotors

the upwards motion of airplanes noses is created by the flow of the air, the shape of the plane will make air flow quicker above the plane then below it as to suck the planes nose up

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  8. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

You're partly wrong and partly right. I agree that it looks a little off-balance and the next version will have a slightly different placement. BUT there are more things to consider:

a) one of the heaviest parts is the engine and the engines are almost completely behind the vertical thrusters. Engine placement can have a big impact on center of gravity location. For example, if you compare the McDonnell-Douglas MD90 with the Airbus A320, the wings are far more behind on the MD90. This is in part because the tail-mounted engines push the COG further behind.

b) the ordnance bay (and thus the payload), the second heavy part is in front of the thrusters, but very close to them, thus reducing lever arm
    c) the fuel, the third heavy part, is in the wings and the external tanks, and therefore also behind the thrusters

The only parts in front of the thrusters are the cockpit, possibly the avionics and the nose gear.

EDIT: Blizzerd, what Starcitsura meant was the VTOL engines, and like I said, he is partly right. For the vertical engines it is imperative that the combined force vector attacks somewhere near the COG of the aircraft.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  9. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

If there is thought put into their placement, that is all I ask.
    It looked unbalanced, but the placement of various components can explain it, I withdraw my argument.

10. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Don't worry, I'm putting my whole five years of Aerospace Engineering classes into it :)
    Unfortunately, since it's never going to be a real plane, and looks are therefore all that matters, it doesn't help everywhere.
    I hope I'll have time this weekend, then I'll have a look at the design.

11. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I'm going to slightly modify this design and then use it for the BE Bomber. Good work.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i have made a little (big) sketch when i was bored in mspaint, i wanted to see if i could make planes as empty made but gave up on it and drew my own planes ^^ dont really know where to post, but i guess the second one looks nice, if only i would have more time i would make a model for them

[​IMG]

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

VTECH JUST KICKED IN YO

This calls for a sexy Flemish party

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Sorry for the contentless bump, but can an admin pease move this to Art?