BE AFV chassis upgrade

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lollum, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I was thinking about a chassis upgrade for the BE AFV to make it smaller and faster.
    It could be a research or something, I dont know how you want it to be. But this way, BE would finally have a REAL AND USEFUL counterpart for the NF´s lt.
    Here´s a graphic to show you how small it should be (it might even could get a new model, but since I don´t know how to model nor do I know someone who would model it, I think that will be shot down. Also, a resized version of the AFV should work):

The white lines define where it should be "cut off". It might be even smaller/bigger. The turret would either be directly on the white line or on top of it.

[​IMG]

Pros:
    -MIGHT fix the actual unbalance between the NF lt and the BE AFV.
    -Gives BE a small fast-moving tank, that can be used to hunt heavies in groups like the NF lt.

Cons
    -MAYBE needs some additional balancing.
    -MAYBE a new model (though a resized version of the AFV should work aswell).

Alternatives
    -Create a whole new chassis, but meh, I don´t think so.
    -Make it only be accessable through research.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. petemyster

petemyster Member

so if you cut the top bit off, then make it NF lt size? I could see how i would like it, but i don't like things balanced so much that the 2 sides are fighting mirror copies of the other. Since the AFV is bigger i would suggest it can carry more weight, so it can equip more, after all it is around twice the size of the NF lt. Also what you said about the research, so the research makes the BE AFV into your version of the BE AFV. I guess that could work, though it would look so retarded to people (like us) who have played empires for ages.

3. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Yeah, but I´ve seen a group of lts destroying many heavies. With BE AFVs, that´s not possible and that´s why I am posting this. I also don´t want to destroy both faction´s uniqueness, but this is some kind of "balancing-leak".

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

If this would dumb down the uniqueness of both factions, theres still a lot of things to play with, like the manouvrability of both, I can imagine this working out and maybe change the cfgs of the lt to have a better turning rate, which it already has if Im correct.

5. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

The AFV is kinda crap I'm afraid, the additional seats are never used, because AFVs don't give you ammo or health, so they all just wait for an APC to come around... It's weight capacity does not allow you to equip full armor, rocket, cannon and standard machine gun like the LT (which makes the LT an ace of all trades). You can merely equip full armor, a machinegun and a rocket or cannon... added to this they are bigger and easier to hit!

I never seen BE win with AFVs... mostly with APCs with uranium or their other tanks... D:

Currently I have the feeling that most of the games end either when NF rushes light tanks, or BE rushes rail heavies, because those two just don't have equal counterparts in that stage of the game (rails are fire and forget, homing is useless and guided sucks cause you have to stop moving to aim effectively... and teammates bumping into you wastes 1-2 rockets.

x.x

6. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Ok, I resized the AFV like dizzyone said. It even looks good and almost works perfectly, but it´s a little bit buggy. It MIGHT be my 2.12 install, which is a bit fucked up (can´t steer vehicles when hosting a listen server).
    Here´s a screenshot what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Gonna add a video later.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iraX8tOq0g

7. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

BE's APC can have a gunner, the NF APC cannot. The BE heavy with dual rails is arguably the best tank in the game. Really, the NF light tank is the only thing NF has going for it.

8. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

What about the Northern Medium and it's short high-speed turning circle and boxy shape that doesn't make it too broad or too wide, thus perfectly capable of dodging medium to long range missile and cannon shots? I would even say it could throw up a decent challenge against the dominating Brenodi Medium.

EDIT: Am I ignorant for thinking both mediums easily outperform both heavy tanks on all courses except missile compatibility (nukes)? I'd always pick a fast, nimble thing I can dodge and make hit-and-run assaults with over a heavy lug of metal that can't dodge a quadruplegic child rolling it's way.

9. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I´m pretty shure they are going to fix that.

And BE is only then able to get meds and heavies if NF doesn´t rush BE in the first 5-10 minutes with lts. The NF medtanks and heavytanks are at least useful compared to the AFV.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Medium tanks are nice, but they don't pack enough firepower to deal with heavies in a full on assault.

Especially if the enemy has more than one heavy.

11. Slithzerikai

I manage to oft' kill heavies with a medium by circling them, if you aim counter-turn (meaning if you are circling clockwise, you must aim counterclockwise of your target if you want the shell hitting on-target). The speed and maneuverability makes all the difference.

Also, this picture isn't as much a suggestion for a new BE AFV, as a highlight on the current problems and the most... retarded solution to fixing them. Namely, addressing the height, length, and the fact if a NF LT is rubbing up against it, the BE AFV can't shoot it, but the LT sure can (cannon close range reach);

[​IMG]

12. Empty

Empty Member

I think if anything the AFV should get upgraded to have a 2 slot cannon, extra weight, and maybe an extra armor slot. Since LTs get the speed, small size and maneouvrablility, these guys should get beefed up.

13. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I say no to the extra cannon and the armor slot, because 2 cannons... no. And the AFV already has an extra armor slot. Extra weight... not really.
    Currently, it´s maneuverability > *. The AFV is almost twice as big as the lt and also it´s a lot slower. Making it stronger in terms of armor or weaponry wont help imo.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Pff, the things get raped by LTs, they need a beef up.
    LTs can take Mediums and even Heavies if driven right and preferably en masse.
    AFVs should do the same, for different reasons. Besides, standard cannons suck so bad it ain't funny.

I don't even get your point... It makes no sense.

" maneuverability > *. The AFV is almost twice as big as the lt and also it´s a lot slower. Making it stronger in terms of armor or weaponry wont help imo."

Wtf?
    The AFV is better because, it's bigger, and slower?

15. Slithzerikai

Give it power steering, active camouflage and spinny rims, with everything that has been denied so far, this would have to be a bombshell.

16. Empty

Empty Member

Well why can't the LT and AFV both be good tanks, but for different reasons?

17. Slithzerikai

Thing is, the AFV does have an advantage- it has one extra plate on all sides. Yet this hardly cuts it.

18. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

What I wanted to say that even if you buffed it´s armor/firepower, it wont be fixed because the lt is STILL faster and better maneuverable than the AFV. Also, if standart cannon sucked ass, why would the lts keep pwning then?

I am talking about making the AFV smaller and faster, not about boosting it´s weaponry/armor because that hardly would fix it.

19. Slithzerikai

But that would make them more the same, which defies the point.

20. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

It would actually be better if they were slightly the same because they are the first tanks and that means it decides very much of the game. And as dizzyone said, we can still try some other things out.