Battlefield 1942 mod.

Discussion in 'General' started by pickjaoe, May 26, 2006.

1. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Krenzo it says in the team section on the website that you started this mod on battlefield 1942. My question is how far did you get? Did you get a working mod?

2. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Yup, you can still download it from some websites. Clicky

We kinda want to forget about it though.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It worked but poorly. The Battlefield engines are so shitty to mod for. Half-Life 1 and 2 are a thousand times better.

4. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

It was fun though :D

5. zachtos

zachtos Member

was this the only resource based mod for battlefield1942? I remember hearing about it years ago when I was hooked on NS.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

This was the only mod that attempted to do anything beyond putting new models in. Desert Combat was the most popular, and all they did was put new models in and tweak the gameplay. It was really difficult to do anything else. Yes, we were the only ones to attempt anything close to putting resources in and succeeding, and what a hack it was. Resource counters were nothing more than invisible tanks which refineries healed when gathering resources and purchasing things hurt to deduct resources. Checking if you had enough resources to buy something consisted of trying to hurt the tank for the amount it cost. If the tank didn't go into negative health, it let you build. Otherwise, it restored the tanks health and refused to let you build. It sucked. As you can see, I can accomplish so much more when I don't have to fight the engine and make hacks for anything the original developers didn't create themselves.

It's also nice to not get anymore comments along the lines of "this mod should've been made for Battlefield 2." Are there any mods for Battlefield 2 out there yet? The only ones I've heard of just have new models like the BF1942 mods and aren't total conversions with new gameplay elements. I weep for the dev teams who chose to develop for Battlefield 2.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I heard the renalert team switched from Source to BF2... As far as I know, they've gone back to renegade :P

8. zachtos

zachtos Member

The only reason I bought HL2 was for potential mods. HL1 gave me a huge payback in mods and enertainment. That's why I dontated to NS's constellation system, I felt I owed them for all the fun they gave me. You should consider a donation system like that too. Of course, being a donator in NS had some perks, like an in game icon and the ability to playtest patches.

9. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

Does anyone have any screenshots of the old BF1942 mod?

I would love to see em just for nostalgia's sake.

10. Jn.

Jn. Member

OOOOOH MAN!!! I agree 100% The half life franchise has had amazing things done with it. I download a new HL1 mod almost every week and I love them, and with all the HL2 mods coming out I feel like a kid in a candy shop(with free candy of course). Moddb.com is my candystore. I think a donation system would be great, just don't expect much from since I have yet to hold a steady job :( Oh yeah, is BF fun, and is there anywhere I can get it for free :D

11. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Ha ha! That's freaking awesome. You're like the MacGuyver of BF1942. :D

I really have to agree that Source is one of the best modding enviroments currently out there. You can always tell when someone has had no experience designing or modding games whatsoever when they say, "OMG Source sux this mod shud use the BF1942/BF2/Doom 3/Crytek/Warcraft 3/Age of Empires/Quest for Glory engine!!!11oneone" There's a big gap between how it looks and what's actually going on, and unless you've actually looked at how it works, it's fairly easy to assume that, say, the Battlefield 2 engine would be better for a racing game than Source or Unreal. There's only a handful of engines that are good for mods out there, and Source is certainly near the top of the list (along with various iterations of the Unreal engine, the Quake engine, and... Uh. I'm sure there are others. No, really!).

12. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Wow, where'd that come from? That reminds me of the time I was working on a java based point and click adventure engine for the sole purpose of creating a multiplayer version of Quest for Glory.

13. theBlind

theBlind Member

The FIFE engine trying to recreate Fallout (1/2)?

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Haha, yeah, I just felt like throwing in something odd. Great games, though.

Well, that works. I guess. Did you hear that Bethesda is taking on Fallout, though? On one hand, I think that they could do an awesome job, but on the other, the Fallout license has been a death sentence to anybody who ever lays their hands on it.

15. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

but how, its a great game... well 1 and 2, tactice was lame and the other one on PS2 just looked lame.

16. Revolver

Revolver Member

Huh! Krenzo's a QfGer? Wow. Points to you, good sir!

17. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

"Here lies the remains of Barney Blu. To his lover he was untrue. She knew just what to do. Cooked herself some Barney stew."

"You attempt to pick your nose... You successfully unlock your nose!"

18. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I liked tactics.

I hated the turn based stuff from the other 2

19. BDNeon

BDNeon Member

Why forget about the Battefield mod? Granted, it was buggy and crashy, but considering you were able to do what you did is a testament to your skill, not something to be ashamed of! Instead of saying "yeah, we made a mod for BF42 which was horribly crash prone, just forget about it", why not say "Hey, we made a mod that included all kinds of stuff folks said was impossible for BF42, and it even runs for a while without crashing!"

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Im very happy this mod came to source, instead of like UT2004.
    I have 2004 legal, just because i knew good mods were coming out for it, but I never actually downloaded any, so I would have missed this one aswell :/