Automated Turret Rebalance (MG&ML)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BlackRedDead, Aug 18, 2016.

1. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

Turrets act very strange in Empires, while supposed to be "base defences" that needs to be dealt with - they are rather worthless and no threat even to noobs!

Maschine Gun Turrets:
    BE MG Turrets.png NF MG Turrets.png
    is deady accurate but looks like a suppressive fire MG!
    should get a small inaccuracy (just enough that it has a ~50% chance to miss at maximum range), a bit more range (maybe half more), double damage (so that a hit is fearsome!)
    the targeting still needs a few moments (default) but lasts longer if no real target can be shot - resulting in uninterupted fire at multiple targets - can be surpassed by a good enemy team^^
    in detail:
    • BE T1 MG - added inaccuracy, double default damage, default firerate, half more range, increased "no target" fire time
    • NF T1 MG - added inaccuracy, double default damage, default firerate, half more range, increased "no target" fire time
    • BE T2 MG - double projectile dmg
    • NF T2 MG - quadruple firerate, decrease accuracy (half or full amount again)
    • BE T3 MG - add gun (shot 2 projectiles at the time) or double firerate
    • NF T3 MG - add gun (shot 2 projectiles at the time) or double firerate (result in extreme firerate)
    Resulting in a bigger threat for squads while those "flick-flack" guys receive some hits befor reaching the turret :P
    But no more "please, lemme go" turret trap situations!
    (where you accidentally got traped in cover and can't escape without continous hits - potentially resulting in death)
    the suggestions aiming for lower chance but more "hurt" at being hit

Missile Launcher Turrets:
    BE ML Turrets.png NF ML Turrets.png
    missiles do just to low damage to be fearsome, fly to slow and can follow you nearly along the map...
    increasing flyspeed (that should also limit theire lock-on ability), but decrease lifetime so that rockets can just fly only a bit(quarter) further than the turrets range!

total damage should remain the same between factions, the easyest way to achieve this is to search values that can be devided by both missile counts, the following values are example ones and should not be taken seriously!
    in detail:
    • BE T1 ML - 4 Burst or 4rpm, à 24dmg = 96
    • NF T1 ML - 6 Burst or 6rpm, à 16dmg = 96
    • BE T2 ML - 6 Burst or 6rpm, à 24dmg = 144
    • NF T2 ML - 12 Burst or 12rpm, à 12dmg = 144 (16dmg = 192)
    • BE T3 ML - 8 Burst or 8rpm, à 24dmg = 192
    • NF T3 ML - 16 Burst or 16rpm, à 12dmg = 192 (16dmg = 256)
    the number behind "=" is eighter the total burst dmg (damage) or dpm (damage per minute) value

another idea is to add a bit "stray"/inaccuracy and even a small velocity randomness/varity between rockets - to prevent a to harsh or calculateable behavior (some might miss, some hit obstacles - but all still aim for you, so that you should move your butt away from the turret, if you want to survive the barrage! - and not parking in front of 6, shooting them down one after another! xP)

Started vote about the subject to change turret behavior >HERE<

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is that turrets are dumb. they will fire at anything, incuding the guy laying prone at max distance while an engineer decons the turret.

But yea, i stand with your basic idea

3. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

just needs an A.I. improvement to always target the nearest player at sight (checking interval set to <1s) - if player goes behind cover turret searches for new target but remains shooting at the last target for another 2sec or so, resulting in surpressive fire
    player can then decide to use the firebreak after that with the reaquireing period to run into another cover position but must beware the fact that shots get more accurate the nearer of the turret - so that "flick-flack" taktic still works but is even harder because you get hit by stray bullets on the way!^^

im not totaly happy with the ML turret concept, because it changes behavior to that of the previous MG :-/
    but i need to find the files, learn what needed to change and then test it out for a better concept - but the actual ML turrets are worthless xP

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I like some of the ideas
    MG turret with non-100% accuracy, ML turret with faster missile speed and higher damage.

In fact, in this patch I already increased ML turret missile speed by 1/10 and I think I killed 30~40% "missile-dodging cases".
    I disagree with doubling the speed, though.

5. Lightning

Lightning Member

i had an idea like this light night, creating turret asymmetry. i will work on something based upon some of the stats you have listed here

BlackRedDead likes this.
  6. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I think doubling the speed is actually not possible. I keep forgetting what the real limit is, but if you set it too high, each axis gets truncated, which means that if the initial trajectory is supposed to be say (200, 5000) - that is, almost completely aligned along the x-axis, the y component will get truncated but the x will not, resulting in (200, 3000) which is not the same direction! The effect can be that an ML turret aiming straight for your vehicle will fire a projectile about 20 degrees in the wrong direction, causing it to arc even when you're standing still, and potentially to overshoot and miss you entirely - I've seen this happen, by modifying the speed superhigh.

7. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

yea, maybe that would be enough for balance reasons - idk how much rockets hit server performance too^^
    but the models have the tubes, so they should reflect that somehow ;-)

hmm, haven't played it yet, but higher speed was intendet to reduce its effective maneuverability (lower reaction time for the missile to adjust) resulting in a more challangeing part dodgeing them ;-) (but should be adjusted so that it is still possible with speedy 3-phase electric and atomic engine tanks)
    well, rockets in general are a bit to slow, but turret rockets feeled like haveing even half of the normal rocket speed - really, i managed to lure a few over half the map with my tank! xD

uhm, read much of your threads - seems that was overread by me :-/
    i personally don't agree with all your suggestions, but you are clearly 3 steps further than me and able to test your ideas - i still refuse to understand how source engine is working on the codebase - especially empires seems to be rather chaotic xD

yea, would be cool if you let me look together with you into it - do you have experience with github?, or better bitbucket because of private repositorys ;-)

i didn't understand how that works... - but sounds very funny :D - what about highspeed buckshot rocket shotgun? :P (empire borderlands 2.9.4)

but have fixed the sentence to "increasing fly speed" - now i go to bed xP
    (so much to do, so less time... -.-#)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  8. Avatarix

Adding spread to MGTs may be pretty nice, beacuse today they are useful at all distances the same (but doubled damage is too much for me).
    And burst of rockets on MLTs sounds really good, and their model suggests that this should launch multiple rockets (bigger lvl more rockets).
    Also Tama tried explaining that if you increased projectile velocity too much they would MISS, so they would became useless.

9. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I don't think you've taken into consideration multiple turrets and the fact most turrets aren't a issue because they are placed badly such as on a hill and cant aim down making them easy to counter.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

also you can exploit the turrets aim fe by placing walls