Autobuild

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Great Grizzly, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

One thing that sometimes pisses me off is that when I place a structure, it sometimes take 10 minutes for someone to get their ass over to it and build. So here is what I think:

All buildings should autobuild, however very slowly. Of course engineers can come by and help it, and should be encouraged to do it. Walls tend to not get built at all, because it takes a long time to build up the segments. So if I place a wall, itll auto build if its near another structure or my command vehicle.

Also the building should only build when an ally is nearby, this is to prevent the commander placing turrets in the back of the enemy base. If the teammate leaves the area, it stops.

This is mostly to help in the first phase of the game.

This just gave me another idea, give the commander a build aura or make the command vehicle build structures faster then a normal engineer. This means that if there is a radar at home that is being ignored I can do it myself quickly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. -=GODS=-EZEKIEL

-=GODS=-EZEKIEL Member

I think the command vehicle should have a HUGE CALCULATOR CANNON! Kinda like supreme commander. Or maybe just a small 2x calculator so he doesn't have to get out to build.

3. sickre

sickre Member

Just instruct your team better using voice comm. Also, it helps if you are commanding a large team of at least 20 players, there are a lot more engineers around to build things.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But it's no fun being base bitch.

5. A Clever Bullet

A Clever Bullet Member

I think it would be good for game beginnings where people just want to rush to the refineries rather than build a home base, it would make things go much quicker for the beginning of levels (emp_crossroads).

plus it would help on those maps where its either 1 v 1 or some other small amount of team sizes

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

but it also makes the game more comm orientated so teams dont need to look after their structures.

I believe that if it is implemented half of the team jells "comm wtf build!!!" and no one wants to build for the comm

7. Geese Howard

Geese Howard Member

I like this idea.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

As the commander; you can pull double duty; as the base bitch and a commander; gets the job done and you can move around too in the strongest veichle in the game...

Things like that should be left out; if you are too lazy to build something that will allow you to get more tanks, then well you shouldn't be rewarded for it. If an ally has to be nearby for it to build; at the very least get them to E build it... I built an entire barracks just with the E button, and a spoon...

I don't want the game to be "Idiot Proofed" to the point where only CS morons are playing it :|

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this has been discussed before and shot down. please use the search function before posting threads.

10. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

I cant force my team to do anything. So better communication means little. Like someone else said, very few people want to stay around base and build.

I also heard that bots where going to be added, that means that the comm will have the bots build the base because they probably will suck at fighting. Same thing, the game will build the buildings itself.

Why not save the trouble and have them auto build themself, its not like the mod has to conform to realism.

Well Mr Back-seat-moderator, this is much better then reviving a 2 year old thread.

So that means that because the only guy at base ignores the commanders orders and runs to the front line, everyone has to suffer?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I do this almost everytime I command.. I get the repair upgrade skill send my team to the front line and then while im commanding them Im also setting up turrets and buildings.. The 1 problem with this is now we have noobs who will take your CV when your out building stuff.. haha or your team will freak out.. OMG WE DONT HAVE A COMMANDER... and im just like... cant I build a fuckin ML with out you guys pissin your pants?

also this idea has been shot down for good reason

edit: Your team should want things to build.. If noone wants to build then your team deserves too lose :(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  12. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

In a perfect world, yes, however this is empires, most of the population isnt smart enough to plan ahead.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this game is about teamwork. it really doesn't require any effort at all to build things in base yourself, or get someone to spawn back at base to build things.

what If you, a rifleman, kill the engineer building a barracks. suddenly, 2 minutes later, without you able to do ANYTHING it comes to life and starts spawning troops.

this is a bad idea and doesn't add to the mod.

auto build is a very bad idea. this has been discussed before and shot down, and nothing new has

14. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Hell; I often put the commander as bait out there... There has never been a game that I played where my boom tank didnt loose all its armor (On every side)

I remeber a game on Slaughtered, where in the east pass I put the commander in front of my vanilla AVF's for cover, short to say even against 5 vanilla lights it didnt last too long; what resulted was pure lulz. A smoking commander running away from 5 lights that are chasing it...

1 Flipped on the 1st turn
    2 got killed by the lolling AVF's
    the other 2 got killed by the base defenses...

When I got out of the com veichle; it had I shit you not 1 hairdwidth of a bar left, that means another hit from ANYTHING would have killed the com. Short to say, I couldn't stop laughing, while the team was swearing at me... But in the end we won the match :)

15. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

I already addressed that issue, noone around, no build.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

then why add it. what's the point. just get people to build stuff.

17. A Clever Bullet

A Clever Bullet Member

Also similar to it not building when no one is around, you could have it where any enemy within x amount radius would prevent building's & such from autobuilding. that way some turret wouldn't random;y kill you cause it built itself and found you as a target. it would work if you put a few restrictions on autobuilding (i.e. zone areas where it would build in certain situations)

you also could have it where it can be toggled and slowly drains resources in order to autobuild

18. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

How about a repair vehicle (e.g. combination of forklift and crane) that the COM can drive remotely? Whenever it drove up to a building, it would automatically start building/repairing at twice the rate of an engineer, while the COM goes back to RTS mode. It wouldn't repair vehicles, either, and it would be slow, unarmored, and (relatively) expensive, but would allow the COM to build up the main base while engineers push forward and get into the fight, rather than camp at base. It would also make games with limited players a lot more enjoyable.

19. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

All they have to do is spawn at base when they die, build the thing and then grab a vehicle. That does not take so long now does it

20. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Not a lot of time, but more that is necessary:
    1. Spawning at base means not spawning in that APC near their base, where you have been pounding on their VF.
    2. To build something fast enough, you have to switch to ENG on respawn, run out and build it, run back to barracks/armory and switch back to your class, repick your skills, run to the VF and build your vehicle, then drive to the front lines. Tired, yet? :p