Autobuild combined with flag gameplay

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, May 11, 2011.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why autobuild sucks:
    no effort, not even a little
    very volatile situation if the enemy can spam 10 raxes in your base because there is a scout sitting there
    why build if its automatic?

what about making an unbuilt structure work as a flag, if its capped, it starts autobuilding, decapped by the enemy turns off autobuild and any person that helped cap it gets the same points as with flags

exclude walls and turrets, too small and pointwhoring/annoying

it will make infantry help defend a rax when its under attack, or even just to make sure the engies can build safely

enhance teamplay without forcing it, flag cap system works, many games show that

if an engineer starts constructing a building he will also add to the cap flag, meaning that if he does not finish the build manually by the time the building is captured, it will start autobuilding together with any engy juice he adds in extra, and it will start the autobuild where he left off with building manual

if a few infantry cap a rax while 1 engy is building it, it will help the engy to construct the building once its capped

de-capping by the enemy ("turning the flag back to neutral") would stop autobuild

possible: add a cap minimum

requires 1 infantry to capture:
    armory
    barracks

requires 2 infantry to capture
    vf
    radar

etc

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You're saying it enhances teamplay without forcing it, but you end your post with saying vf and radar require 2 infantry. That's the essence of what forced teamwork is.

You also say the flag cap system works, but the question here isn't whether it works, the question is whether it works for what you suggest. I could suggest that buildings should be built by shooting at it with rifles and then try to back it up by saying that other games have shown that shooting works. It doesn't demonstrate anything.

You also fail to denote how the flag capture alleviates the problems of autobuild. From what you've said so far it seems that your suggestion suffers from most of the same problems, and adds a few new problems to it.

This suggestion is far too complicated and the explanation is too vapid and incoherent to make any case for replacing the current implementation.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

basically, you are describing a lot of my carefully chosen words as "flaws" and "incoherent"

id say i have to put less effort typing in a carefully thought of and pondered on idea just to see it being bashed by people who come to the suggestion forum to enforce guild lines like "use search option" or to guard the destruction of empiresmod by shooting down anything that seems likely to ever be implemented and thus to prevent change so empires can be the same forever

im not saying this is you, though, im not saying its not you ether

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. dizzyone

Good choice on putting your replies in comments, that way I won't be able to quote them.

Not that I wanted to, since you've simply replaced nonsense with even more nonsense.

Suggestions should be vapid and incoherent? What the fuck have you been smoking. Try reading the suggestion thread guidelines, that's how you should construct a proper suggestion thread.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm not having any problems, although I agree that trying to reply inside someone's quote is incredibly tacky and generally disrespectful, no matter what you say. It doesn't help things when they also sound like a dipshit (incoherence is never desirable, ever).

By the way, a simple e-build aura would solve just about all these problems. Make it prioritize to the closest building (no double dipping) and you can let players positively contribute just by being in the right place at the right time. Players shouldn't have to work at helping their team, every player of every skill level should be able to help.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont like the idea of standing around looking at the - often not so - beautiful landscape as building method. constructing something at least makes you push a button - pushing a button is the most established gameplay mechanic apart from shooting in FPS. its there since doom ...

i still think ebuild could be the main build option. i think the, what 2-3, tests you had, dont prove anything.
    such change needs a while till people accept and adapt.

i assume people deliberally tried to create situations that seem overpowered and ofc they where. such ebuilding speeds have broad implications on the general balance of the game (rax-spam, turret farms, ...), but with enough time to identify the majority, those could have been fixed easily (rax need distance inbetween or is restricted to x, mg-turret ranges gets finally reduced, ...)

i just doubt that it was done properly ...

... but as said before. id be happy already, if id get the same points over time as engineers. that means if an engi gets 2 points for a rax, i want 4 for it.

7. dizzyone

Sure, but it won't show up when you use the quote function. Which imo is a pain as I'll have to go back and forth between his post and my reply.

Kindergarten discussions like this don't deserve a reply.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

this splitting of posts like you do doesnt help either. but who am i to complain i do that myself. infact its a shitty setting in the forums options, it should at least have 2 quote levels (3-5 would be better)

9. dizzyone

It would be far easier to have a system like google wave uses, but alas it is not the case.

Dissecting posts are the easiest way for me to reply properly and making sure people understand which part I'm replying to. I know dozens of speech type replies, where people take certain arguments out of context, simply because they're not sure what it's a reply to.

In a perfect world I would be able to simply make one general reply towards someones post, but that requires people to put it into context themselves, and especially on this forum, people don't seem to do that at all. If people find it disrespectful to have their posts dissected, I would stop doing it, although I would probably mention they're little pussies for not taking responsibility for the crap they post, and that they should man up and take criticism like everyone else.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i agree on the fact that google wave is a very good system, but i also think typing in a quote is just a way of relaying a message, i find it efficient enough to use it sorry if it annoys you i made an effort to change it to a more desirable tactic in this post

i disagree extensively, sure my wording is not perfect, my grammar is faulty at best or even my literal skills can be debated

im currently thinking the word incoherent was probably not the best word for me to adopt as a likeable property of a good suggestions thread OP, but at the time i thought it stood for vague wording, and i do believe the first post that holds the actual idea to be debated about shoud be vague in a certain sense to enable everyone to build on it without people assuming too much or not assuming anything at all

there are other points that probably should have been worded differently in my "in quote" reply to your comments, i did not put "that" much time into it as with my original suggestion post

i do think the message itself should not be judged on how well it was written, even if some of it was just me failing at delivering the message and im sorry for that

i disagree extensively, i think its a good way to construct a proper forum debate, but as soon as its just on suggestions or brainstorming i think those rules are extremely lacking, and serve the function of diminishing agreement throughout the community so that at all times a large majority will disagree with a certain idea to be an improvement

i dont blame whoever set up this forum, his intentions where probably not so, but people who just copy over a forum layout from other locations thinking this is the best way to handle things can cause this effect

id like to note that this forums layout is based on the predecessors about empiresmod that have since passed (about exact copies at some level) and the original forum about empiresmod is an exact layout copy of any other generic forum, and any other generic forum is a copy of any other BIG INFLUENTIAL forum, where the most desired strategy on suggestions would be to weed out the caf from the corn, and to weed out the topmost pellet from the entire corn stake, and to discard or read that topmost corn pellet at will by the ruling party of that forum... its just how things go, the bigger the group the less attention to the individual is desired, but you still want the individual to feel like he is herd and you dont want the individual to interrupt normal routines by posting his ideas in any forum part that goes, so you group em somewhere in a suggestion forum and just dont go there or put a mental block that its all shit untill everyone magically agrees on it being awesome

a good example is the ogame [insert region/country here] suggestions forum, none of those ideas will ever be implemented, the german designers and coders of ogame woudnt even want to read it if everything was in german, the sole purpose of that forum part is to capture the ideas and contain them in a forum so they dont clog up the other forums... they are monitored purely on the rules of the general forum and no moderator other then the ones responsible for the rules there read anything in there... ever and thus out of the 10+ years that the dutch ogame community forum has existed, only 1 idea out of millions has been "vaguely" implemented ONLY in the dutch version of ogame, and after 2 years it was taken out again...

why? because a dutch moderator of said forum could program and did it himself, and got the go from the german guys to experiment with it on a universe hosted by the dutch servers
    i dont know how this story ended, it could be that it was implemented globally by now, but i dont know

and this is exactly how they want it and why they set it up, no-one wants to read trough how other people would change there "completed" work... sure sometimes a person would see the importance of it on a low level piece in the puzzle that is empiresmod but would you accept an idea changing [your finest creation you are most proud of] into something entirely different, but arguably would increase its value in some way? and that you would have to make it happen?

suggestions forums in this format are lacking... extremely lacking in what its "supposed" primary function is, it is very good at keeping all the other forums clean and centralising the suggestions in a containable volume though... VERY effective at that

if you really want a good way to debate about suggestions and have people post ideas make it like google wave... i use it for my employees, and i know friends of mine use it to manage internal suggestions for there gaming projects... and guess what... they have a suggestions forum too... and they only look at there google wave thingy, and unless a suggestion somehow ends up in the wave it does NOT have a chance at all to ever get in

they purely use it as a bin where anyone thinking he can do it better can live out his fantasy in a literal way, but in no means to be accepted

the only good way to use these forums (suggestion forums) is when you present an idea, as vague as possible but with clearly outlined goals and results

for example, lets have minecraft with guns, and like a capture the flag thing going on...

a lot of debate would go on about how to implement this, and a lot of drama would occur, the developers have a higher chance of actually coming into contact with it and since everyone seems to have there version on it its easier to see what everyone agrees on in general terms and to see if a developer agrees on that...

a bad example would be "lets make [ace of spades design doc here]

a few guys would go like FUCK NO i just wanna build stuff and a dev coming into contact somehow would be like "not the time to implement/think about/read, too much opposition

i can say the same for your points, why has this become so personal for you?

11. dizzyone

Seriously, every time I read a post of yours, I'm dumfounded by the serious amounts of bullshit you manage to write.

You don't need an improved forum layout or whatever it is you're babbling on about. You need a therapist because this stuff is batshit insane.

And no, its not personal, if you talk shit, I'll reply with shit. Your little editing abuse won't change how I behave.

12. Michael

Michael Member

Capping the buildings so it autobuilds? Not fun, you mainly do nothing, just getting in the building and then rush forward. (Capping flag, is meant for capping flags... not buildings.):pathetic:

Good ye old system? Engis build up shit, others do other thingies... well we got used to it, but sometimes it is really annoying that half of the team are forced to be with one class cuz if not they GRIEF, LOSE, TERRIBAD-MAD :mad: etc.

E-build buffed so 2 or more non-engies may happen to finish any building in reasonable time? Fuck yeah, let's do this! (While repairing which is VERY important remains engis only.)
    Come on, when "you" "tested" it, how deeply did you? 2 rounds? 3? Bruhuhuh too many people (Let's see 25% of the team for each class) went rifle, gren, and scout? Guess what, people better like shooting, blowing up shit, then sparking it for an eternity... ofc sparking builds faster, reward you with points, but pls don't force it for ANYTHING you can do like the members of the Cult Mechanicus on Mars 40.000 years later...:skull: