Arty Tanks are Confusing: Why using every tank means misusing every tank

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, Oct 27, 2013.

?

There's got to be a witty poll, right?

1. nope

80.0%
  2. erm, yes?

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how about you check if the player is in the vf*, you actually do that already at some point so you could just reuse the function which determines it when you press the build vehicle button ;)

gui rewrite is still no option? bc it would be even more intuitve if you show a build and a customization menu (doesnt really have to be different code wise, just the title and button name)

edit:
    * and negate it - it was too obvious to point it out but for completeness ...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

As I stated in the succeeding post,

So far, what I've gathered is that original idea of straight-up removing them from the menu unless the player is the commander, combined with jumping straight to the specific chassis a player is in if they're on the repair pad is the best option as far as usability goes, but implementation-wise can be difficult.

3. flasche

oh i missed that sry - well yes you are right its not intuitive ...

... but its empires an epitome of unintuitiveness.
    ingame stats for weapons? bitch please :P

also candles i reread my post sry if you read it as harsh as i did the second time. wasnt ment like that .

also
    holy shit ... for THIS?
    [​IMG]
    did krenzo implement his own renderer for that or what?
    i start to believe that gui code and not the engine per se is what stands in between players and performance :P

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That gui vs engine fact was proven by I think Jephir quite some time ago as well - the GUI eats the most resources.

5. flasche

damn we could actually have real tanks in the gui :o

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VGUI_ModelPanel

edit:
    im not used to cpp but srsly this cant be hard to completely rewrite if you know where to pull the information from ...
    it will be quite some lines still though. was that 5k lines just code or the resources aswell?

some stuff like dragable windows are pointless anyway and should be scrapped - they serve no real use.

6. Candles

My posts are easily missed; I don't take much offense at anything nowadays. But simply because Empires is unintuitive as it is doesn't give us a pass to justify a new change being unintuitive too.

It's definitely a combination of the GUI and Source being unoptimized for open expanses. As I've stated before, the worst offender is the minimap because the entire thing is resized and redrawn every frame, making it a major part of the ~25% of the frame rendering time that the GUI as a whole takes up.

7. flasche

8. Candles

The problem isn't how it's rescaling it, it's that it rescales the whole minimap Every. Single. Frame. Which includes the player/building/vehicle icons, background and even the gridlines. And then it redraws the whole minimap Every. Single. Frame.

Size-wise, the vehicle panel is the worst. Efficiency-wise, it's the minimap.

9. flasche

exactly - thats why you resample the texture the mapper provides and draw the new image. you dont have to paint the players on the minimap at all just scale their x, y positions to fit the image and also draw prescaled images in case of higher screen resoultions (use a max resolution image and scale down it will always look better).
    you have overdraw and maybe have to consider a z index but i assume its still faster then manipulating a lot of data each frame in memory.

shouldnt a gui be presenting and not calculating its data?

edit:
    oh i see an issue. you ofc would have to check screen size changes ...

edit2:
    oh nvm, you shouldnt have to recalculate anything anyway. the engine scales the image for you anyway AND cares about resolution - and even better it does it on the gfx card. you just need to do that player position thing.

edit3:
    now im curious and its 21:30 thats bad i should go to bed soon ...

edit4:
    well ok i think i get what you mean. the problem isnt how you do it, i guess its where you start. any bigger throw probably would require quite a bit of change - sry, sometimes i get excited overly fast :\

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, there are pretty big risks, but it seems like the simplest solution.

I'm not the guy implementing it, but I would aim for the KISS solution. Normally, that tends to be a half-baked fix, but it doesn't seem bad in this case.

It shoves the effort & risk to the CV. That's where it should be.

Worthless Anecdote Time!

I rarely ever refit vehicles. I can't recall ever wanting to refit almost immediately after building due to an "accidental" customization.

I typically find myself refitting mediums because that's the only time where you may build a tank with only a single cannon/ML and then later have a broader heavy-worthy selection. Arty doesn't really suffer from this issue. It needs extended range and that's about it.

11. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

What if it checked for com/on repair pad, but there was also a defunct vehicle with 0 weight limit/slots named something that indicates that non-com players can't build artillery that shows when anywhere but repairpad/com?

12. Sitka

Sitka Member

YES.

Also tank destroyers.
    [​IMG]
    As an (perhaps cheaper or more effective) alternative to heavies or mediums, these tanks can easily be out-flanked by the faster light tanks and will be very easily destroyed from behind or the sides (even if we cant model damage from different sides, you can still limit the amount of plates available on specific sides on a vehicle).

13. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

TD's : cheaper alternative to heavies, but only can equip a 3slot CN and have 5 plate of armor?

14. Sitka

Sitka Member

That's the idea. No rear armor and little side armor. Plenty frontal though.

Could work with dual 2slot ML for medium equivalent or something. As long as it has a very limited forward firing arc and must rely on turning the hull to hit moving targets.

A dumb semi-idea i've also been playing with (but obviously would ruin everything and shouldn't be added) is a light tank equivalent which has dual 3(or 2)-slot forward firing MGs to mount DU/HEMG/plasmamg

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Slightly unrelated question here, but Candles, since you mentioned recustomisation of vehicles, can I ask what stops people being able to spawn a vehicle anywhere? Is it a specific zone that operates within the vehicle factory and you'd have to extend that over a map? Or is it a default set of coding that operates anywhere but has been restricted to the VF?

It's probably a terrible idea to make vehicles spawnable anywhere, but I was still interested in how it was set up in the code.

Edit: Also, what I wanted to ask on-topic, was has anyone really been turtling very well recently? The last time I was in a turtled base, we could barely keep out the heavies, let alone the arties. They destroyed us almost on the first pass.

Which is starkly different from how it used to be - used to be able to hold off heavies by the skin of your teeth, if you were playing well, and the arties couldn't be countered even then, but were more necessary.

16. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Trickster once enabled people to spawn vehicles everywhere on the map so i guess it's a very simple if (player inside vf == true) condition.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's what I thought, thanks :)

18. Candles

I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you what actually happens code-wise, but there's a server variable "emp_sv_debug_build_vehicles" that if set to 1, will allow you to make a vehicle anywhere. We often use it when testing vehicles because making a VF is quite the hassle.

In fact, I have a little script that enables debug build vehicles, does all research, zero command vote time, makes the calculator instant-build and sets the refinery multiplier to 1000 for when I need to test things. It's a pain to try and type all that in when I'm testing a vehicle thing, like a half minute of just typing commands into the console, and if I'm doing a local rapid compile/test for something, those half minutes really start to add up.

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Empires has a god mode.

[​IMG]

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Post of dubious value + shitty gif = Spartacus