Artillary link with scout binoculars

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Played Tribes 2? it has a brilliant system, where when the targeter was pointed at something, it was invisible, but when you had an artilliary weapon out it drew a line up from the target and to a circle. if you aimed at the circle, you would get it on the destination perfectly. the circle changed hight depending on what artiliary you used.

this sort of sytem would be really useful, and give a really use to binocularing things, other than just "look over there!"

------------------------

to balance, arty could have much worse armour. they should anyway, really.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

That's what artillery feedback skill is for.

---

Though, when a scout spots something, every class is supposed to get the feedback if in artillery vehicle but last I read, there was some complications to it. Not sure if they're still trying to implement it or have since abandoned it.

3. Chahk

Chahk Member

I've been suggesting this idea on every incarnation of the forums :) Not sure how difficult it would be to code something similar to that in Source.

P.S. PlanetSide has a similar feature, btw.

4. Jimather

Jimather Member

so you want to make it even easier for artillery to pwn ?

5. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Please refrain from doing so! They piss me off enough already! lol

6. Chahk

Chahk Member

The reason Artillery "pwns" so much is because it takes very little skill to use:

1. Purchase Artillery with HE shell at the nearest Vehicle Factory for under 900 resource units.
    2. Point the barrel in the general dirrection of enemy spawn and "fire" repeatedly
    3. Wait for shells to impact
    4. Enjoy killspam.
    5. Get killed by a stray mine, rinse, repeat.

If Arty's cost was increased to let's say 2,000 units for the cassis and another 1,000 for the HE shell, I'd love to see how quickly your team will spit them out.

But I digress. This is a topic for a different discussion.

7. Jimather

Jimather Member

What ?

why is everyone discussing my comment like ir was 'yeah i love arty and want to make it better cos i love rinsin people from 3 miles away so please implement this idea'.

I was saying the idea was bad because artillery are too strong already with a question designed to make the suggestor consider whether artillery really needed any improvement to its targeting system.

if you cant understand that then i give up. flame all you want.

8. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

I like your signature, Jimather.

9. Chahk

Chahk Member

Sorry if I sounded like I was flaming you, or even if it seemed like I was disagreeing with you. Artillery is currently overpowered, no questions about it. What the OP proposed could be a nice feature once the Arty is brought back into balance.

"Artillery Feedback" skill is nice, but it makes the Arty even easier to use for a newb. Requiring a Scout to keep "painting" the target, on the other hand will not only make it a more interesting and complicated weapon, but will also promote teamwork (especially if the Scout also received a rank point when the target he's currently painting is destroyed).

10. zachtos

zachtos Member

has anyone ever had a scout actually paint targets for you while using feedback in an arty tank on purpose?

I have, but I'm on a LAN, but I've never had it happen outside of those instances.

11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

once or twice, after i beg for it for 10 mins, and we are already winning.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i hear the Arty are being nerfed a bit anyway, such as being deployable, less speed and a greater shot distance minimum.

but think about how realistic the current artillary helping is anyway. when the the scout says "attack at these co-ordinates", you would expect the tank to be able to actually then have the co-ordinates, and be able to use them, unlike currently where the target on the map just makes trial an error a little bit easier.

13. FalconX

FalconX Developer

But you do have the coordinates, and you can use them. You just need to figure out how. It's much easier to destroy things by hitting a called target than by randomly firing at every bit of the map.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i want (as arty) to be able to see howmutch degree i am tilting my gun, and how far the target is from me (in meters)

its realistic, easy and fun

this way i can calculate my angle to do a perfect hit :D

15. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

specially the degrees, have it next to the reticle... mmm... tilted joy...

-Sheepe

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, calculating maddness

i love it

17. Nutnoze

Nutnoze Member

Maybe an option for a targeting system that is expensive (1-2k) but will automatically lock on to the binocular target. Only, of course, after the game is optomised to be less laggy. Would probably crash any server right now ;(

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i woud prefer some statistics and a few mesuring tables

so you can calculate the angle of the arty yourself

like adding some kind of ruler to the target facing upwards, evry click is 5 meter

and an angle scaler, telling you at what angle you fire

19. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

Sounds like a good way to have the scouts be more than "OMGWTF Anti-Infantry NINJA H4X0RS!!"

I too would like to see and alitmeter (I think thats what they are called) to measure the angle of fire. Would make shooting turrets a lot easier cause i can get a decent reference to aim at.

20. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

(didn't read thread, just an fyi)

or at the very least, a HUD like the grenadiers'.