art

Discussion in 'Art' started by blizzerd, Oct 21, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i made some "art"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

it's falling apart. i'd get a refund.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

those are drop pods kind sir, its basically a sky crane with 3 pods, each supposedly contain a squad and are dropped into combat zones to provide a shelter + equipment storage for a squad of infantry men to work in or behind enemy lines

ofc this would translate ingame to just hauling people by them pressing E on the vehicle and jumping out etc

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Make the 'spine' part a bit bulkier, it doesn't look like it would support much weight.

Otherwise it looks nice, reminds me of the supreme commander transports.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Looks kind of cool, but chris has a point that it looks like a tooth pick compared to the drop pods themselves.

6. Demented

Demented Member

That is the silliest looking muffler I have ever seen outside of steampunk.
    (What do you mean by 'that's a turret?' -ed)

Can I use it to drop buildings on people?

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

lol... if I could hurt people/tanks I would take an empty one and try to bomb tanks and pople with empty pods.

its a good concept art but, ya what they said... the spine is too thin. The engines also need to come away from the hull a bit so they can swivel. The Last two pics shows the front jet is blocked by the leg.

ohh and swivel turret on back is kewl. I wana sit in it and shoot.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

call it "starbug"

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

looks like a spaceship/lander rather then something u'd use on a planets surface.
    i doubt there is anything that beats wings when flying in atmosphere in terms of being economic.

10. Demented

Demented Member

Being light enough to fly on air circulation alone is even more economical, but it's not very practical. (Wheat would disagree. -Ed.)

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

russian helicopters, hands down

also a lander is supposed to land on surfaces... that's its soul function

this is modeled after the skycrane as i said before, te single most powerfull helicopter on this planet, and its an exterior cargo helicopter just as this is

the back engines can swivel, the front cant... this makes sense in the perspective that the front ones are for vertical trust while the back ones balance vertical trust out to propulsion, so as long as its not climbing directly up the front ones only have to work at half power and that in effect enables it to have a very large lifting capacity appearance if both are pointed down (considerably more then if both could swivel without making engines more powerful)

the spine is spiny because its supposed to look like an industrial heavy lifter,

[​IMG]

i can tinker a bit with it if you guys want but i don't feel like making it too bulky because that would make it look far to inefficient

so, any purposed design changes lol? draw over the images if needed

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I want stubby little wings and a less ugly cockpit, as well as looking less spindly along the top.

Besides that, it's pretty damn nice. What did you do it in?

EDIT: Maybe there should only be 2 drop pods, not 3. Try a few different variations?

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

the civilian crane shape

i don't get "what did you do it in" means

also what does stubby mean

if i google it i get pics of guns, women with breast implants and self pleasurement toys

wings would delude from the idea, this thing is/was not designed to do long distances, its a hauler and precision altitude worker in a previous life

it will never be the most fuel economical "long range transporter" since it was never designed to be one, but in my imagination the northern faction still uses them like that since they are easy and cheap to produce and maintain (since its a civillian grade aircraft, can lift a fuckton over a very reasonable distance and its tested and triald on the construction scene)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Stubby means short. Like, check the wings on an F-104 starfighter. They're stubby, it means like "short" but not in the meaning of having something full sized, but scaled down proportionately to be short. It means like, short and disporportionate.. By wings, I mean just something to move the thrusters away from the body of the aircraft.

As for what did you do it in, I mean which program. Sketchup, xsi, 3ds, etc?

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

sketchup also i dont know where to put these wings, care to draw them on?

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

there: wings added

[​IMG]

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

after taking tricksters reccomendations in effect (neglecting one, far shorter feet, since it would take me a lot of time thinking up something with that)

[​IMG]

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no that supports for the thrusters just look wrong - your original thought was way better :D

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The spine is still really spindly, it should be more than two girders blizzerd, there's fuel lines and computer controls and all sorts of mechanical stuff that needs to go between the two ends of the ship you realise? It should be a solid thing, as it is in the lifter helicopter picture.

Also why are the legs situated directly underneath the thrusters? It is not economical to be pushing the legs down/melting them with the thrust.

20. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

This is something for Freelancer, not Empires right?