Armed Jeeps?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wolf Marine, May 2, 2009.

1. Wolf Marine

Wolf Marine Member

I know quite a number of commanders who hate it when players run off in their jeeps across the battlefield only to abandon the thing someplace later when the same resources could be saved for a tank. An idea I have thought of is to allow the addition of a mounted machine gun which a second player takes control of. This would make a jeep a cheap and quick anti infantry vehicle, but ineffective against tanks and turrets.

-You would have two players in this vehicle, but the idea would be the gunner to be standing in order to fire the weapon, leaving him extremely vulnerable to small arms fire.
    -The weapon could be an upgrade which much be purchased.
    -The weapon could have a limited firing arch, only able to aim at the front 180 degrees of the vehicle.
    -It could get rid of all other passenger seats to make room for the gun.
    -Since jeeps are already lightly armored and would only have a machine gun, they would not have much more use than hit-and-run or raids on an enemy position.
    -The machine gun would also make players more inclined to keeping their jeep alive instead of abandoning it out on the field or running it into the water.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

With a 55-65 resource jeep, I can cause about 20 times its value worth of damage. The job of the jeep is lightweight, fast, and cheap transport. An MG on such a cheap vehicle with maps as flat as Empires would call for a need to reform Empires map design.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The idea of jeeps rushing around peppering people with bullets is a nice one, but the horrible lag prediction for passengers would make it pretty impossible to use, and you'd also need a special weapon for it too, something with quite big spread and a high rate of fire so you can use it while moving, sort of like a slightly more accurate, more damaging standard chaingun, the accuracy and weakness of the jeep itself would keep it from being overpowered while stationary.

I did have a design for a brenodi two seater armed jeep based loosely on a hummer, and I know there's an NF dune buggy high res model floating around somewhere.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  4. Alceister

Alceister Member

We're going to see JeepSpam strategies if this gets implemented.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

Infantry don't get a break. I assume you would use weight to balance this. Fostering a choice between a gun or armor.

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

The problem here is with the commander. commanders should support their team more instead of look down upon jeeps

7. Alceister

Alceister Member

And the problem with commanding is that it is hard to keep track of friendlies and scrolling sucks serious balls.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Anything a jeep can do can be better done with a tank or APC from a command perspective.

If you're going to rush the enemy base, do it in an APC and take more people, if you're going to drive around blowing up refs, you can do it much better in a tank or APC and then join the fighting when needed, if you're trying to get back to your squad, bring them a tank.

However armed jeeps would alleviate this somewhat, because if you give them a few weapons to choose from and maybe an ammo crate on the back you could quite easily make them a cheap version of the APC better suited to raiding tactics, going around blowing up refs and so forth, especially if APCs get slowed down and up armored a bit which I think they should.

9. Fricken Hamster

Jeeps are smaller and harder to spot. If I wanted to kill unguarded refineries, I'd have a better chance attacking in a small jeep that can easily hide behind the refinery than a large tank that is easy to spot. Plus some people just ignore you altogether if you are in a jeep. You don't need to fight in a jeep because it will cost 175 at most, easily made in a few seconds.

If you guys don't like jeeps because of what they are, just say that. Don't go suggesting super jeep armor and weapons to turn jeeps into something they are not. Suggest a new super light tank for that :/

10. Alceister

Alceister Member

I sometimes use Jeeps for the "maintenance" role. That is, I drive around repairing or helping the commander build. But yes, perhaps a little expansion in role is in order. They shouldn't be able to carry anything stronger than a Standard MG or a Chaingun though. It could work something like the seat two in tanks.

11. Fricken Hamster

You don't need it, get someone else in your keep to shoot their gun. its a Jeep, not a tank.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, you'd have a better chance in the tank because the tank can kill it faster as well as anybody who wants to try and stop you.

Anybody who isn't fighting when needed is a waste of a player slot. I'd much rather have a tank driving around who can join in the fighting when I need him to than some fucktard in a jeep trying to blow things up with an ammo box (which puts a hard cap of one refinery every two or three minutes, a good tank can go through three in that time).

Yes tanks cost more, but tanks are also infinitely better, and aren't a waste of a vehicle slot once you're finished blowing up refineries, and will probably do more damage when in use than any jeep.

13. Kai

Kai Member

To prevent jeep rush tactics, make the jeep MG researchable, not default. HMG, HEMG, BIOMG would be good researches to give jeeps MGs.

14. Alceister

Alceister Member

How about if Jeeps can make use of special abilities instead?

Like they can be equipped with limited stealth (reduces the ability of missile turrets to target them at a distance, as well as makes them untargetable by comm). Or they can drop supply crates, or medical crates.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you keep the price the same you aren't going to be able to 'rush' more than two jeeps, three at the most, and that's not going to be much more powerful than it would be if you just rushed two jeeps full of people to locations at the start.

If you're concerned about jeep rushes just give both teams jeeps at the start, spawn them next to the CV using the new vehicle spawners. People in jeeps can be hurt by MG fire so jeeps can incapacitate other jeeps, it'd just turn the usual infantry vs infantry fighting into jeep vs jeep fighting, which would be faster and cooler. If you also maybe gave the gren something to kill them with, like perhaps homing RPGs or better guidance to tackle fast vehicles it'd balance out quite nicely I think.

You could also perhaps give jeeps a special unchangeable armor which has higher hitpoints and resistance to splash damage but which can be damaged by small arms and vehicle MGs, maybe one hitpoint per bullet and it has 100 HP, that'd let you actually drive jeeps off with your normal guns and make them quite vulnerable to vehicle weapons, although the medium CG might need some modifications because it'd be very overpowered, all the others should work fine though.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Crates would be better on the APC and turrets are designed to keep people out, things which negate that make turrets worthless.

17. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Lets just sort out 2.24 first shall we :)

You guys need to use the serch button. This was suggested many a time and DonMegal even finished a NF jeep untextured, but im affrid there is way too many other issues to sort out atm. Lets just sort out 2.24 and balance first shall we :)

18. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I'd say, that the passengers should be able to shoot from the jeep like they were proning.. this would make teamworking vehicles better.. Actually, getting roflemen in the back of your jeep and making "drive-bys" is funny as hell :)

But I agree, firstly, let us see what the new update hits us with.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Whats more fun than driving a vehicle alone? Driving a vehicle with team members. Someone on top of the tank you don't really notice. And in the current jeep it's to difficult to shoot.
    So please go for armed jeeps. Maybe just for the fun. Is see epic jeep wars!
    >:)

20. Fricken Hamster

The jeep is so fucking small and hard to hit. That the same reason why Light Tank is over powered. I'll run up to tanks in my jeeps and drive under then and they'll just let me pass because I'm low priority. That works great for what the jeep is suppose to do.

There are tons of other useful stuff to do other than fighting. Are you saying that building is also a useless task? If you can constantly take out their hard to defend refs then you have their balls in a vise on resources. If you have a tank, most of the times people don't just let you pass and you have to engage in tank battle, taking long and defeating the purpose of refinery raids.
    [/QUOTE]

Tanks need ammo too. It takes tons of cannons to take down a refinery. You'll probably end up dropping an ammo box for your tank because you'll use up most of your weapons taking down the building. Seismic grenades take down buildings faster and don't over heat.

The only time you would have to worry about vehicle limit is near the endgame on a map with tons of resources. Jeeps blow up by themselves if unattended, + most of the times enemy tanks will blow up vehicles they see unattended. There are always going to be refineries to blow up because jeeps are reusable