Anyone want to re-rig some character models?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kylegar, May 22, 2014.

1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

The first one imported really small and facing Z- forward. The second has the mesh right, but all the bones and joints are at 0,0,0

2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well, I am not at home and I will have access to the model only on Monday. I can try it with the first exporter again and change some settings. Can you tell me which is the up axis of the model in this case?

3. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That does indeed help. Although they only add another one to the already existing ASCII Exporter. What I honestly would be a lot more interested in would be a working FBX importer, so I don't have to rely on sometimes buggy third party add-ons.

On another note: We talked about it on Steam and got it completely working. The only thing I am now waiting for is kylegar having the time to set up a collision mesh for it and test the rag doll functionality. That's the easiest way to test if it looks right without having to set up actual animations.
    I will also try to make a vehicle for him, but that is still a bit off, since he still has to write code for that.

5. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

Hey, how were you able to import the files into Blender? The default Blender importer says it doesn't support ASCII fbx files (even though you can export ASCII fbx files just fine...). I tried using the one at http://blenderfbx.render.jp/ but whenever I try to import with it, it says "No Module named BL". I installed Python and made sure that the umconv folder is in the blender.exe directory. I noticed in a forum post that that addon only works with Blender 2.70a. Is that the version you're using? I'm using Blender 2.71.

I've been able to model/rig/animate stuff in Blender and successfully export it to UE4. The only problem is getting those damned ASCII files in https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5prZNxOmeijSVA1VDFqZ2dObkU&usp=sharing to work :skull:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I actually only use the Blender default fbx importer/exporter by now. I never had any problems with it. I can have a look if I can get those files open, but I won't be home until next Tuesday, so you will have to wait till then.