Anyone here play Allegiance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ArsonFire, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ArsonFire

ArsonFire Member

When Empires came out I played it for a while and thought that the concept was great but it needed a little more polish. I figured I would look around for similar but more complete games while this was being worked on and I stumbled across Allegiance.

http://www.freeallegiance.org

It's an RTS/space combat sim. Kind of like a multiplayer cross between Homeworld and Freelancer. It was made by microsoft a while back but they released the source code to the community because of bad sales but a dedicated fan base. Now you can download and play for free.

The main problem with the game is the learning curve is extremely steep. It's very hard to just pick up and play. However there is stuff like a 'cadet' training program you can sign up for where you get coached through the basics.

Despite that it's a really fun game once you get the hang of it. :D

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

havent dled yet, havent decided if i even will yet, but i think empires needs a few info pages like this game has.

3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Anyone fancying some free deathmatch fun? And see a goddam well modded Quake1 engine. I'm talking about HDR/Bloom here with offset mapping, normal mapping, specular mapping and UT esque deathmatch gameplay with rather weird guns. All free for Linux and Windows(perhaps even Mac, but who the hell gives a damn about Macs anyway?).

I checked Allegiance once. It felt somehow weird. :( Me no like. Altough I do love space shooters in general.

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i tried playing that a while ago, but couldnt ever get it to work.

5. ArsonFire

ArsonFire Member

That's the annoying .net framework thingie. I think it's needed to run quite a few programs.

Try looking somewhere around here

6. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

I played Allegiance years ago. Great game, but at the time I had trouble finding players. Good times, though. I recommend it to all.

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

If it takes a long time to learn................ehhhh

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

screenshots?

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

any ingame though? models and renders don't mean much to me :P

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, it basically looks like the ole' X-Wing Vs. TIE-Fighter-esque models and stuff, nothing advanced, but when you play on high resolution it's not ugly either. Sorry no screenshots, I just got finished playing (With The Buttery Lobster :D) and we both kinda agree it's a bit TOO steep to learn. Unlike Empires, you can't just fly around fighting and taking orders, without understanding A LOT about the game... with Empires, all you have to do is pick a class, and shoot stuff, no biggy. I'll stick to Empires.

12. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

There's a SEVENTEEN SOME ODD PAGES manual of text-intensive reading to get through just for a CRASH COURSE in the game. Jesus! All I want to know is how to get into a dogfight, and how to blow someone up. AND once you've finished the 17 pages, you have to remap your keys, and finish the "advanced" reading section. Holy christ, it puts the Empires manual to shame. "Rtfm" becomes "Read the fucking 30 pages worth of essays"

IF I actually get through the reading and play a game, my callsign is Colbert.

13. Jn.

Jn. Member

I was hesitant to download this game, haven't yet, and all of these comments are driving me further away from it :) Are there any positive statements about this game that can maybe persuade me to give it a shot?

Edit: OK, I just played this game, and it's hard as crap :) I couldnt even pass the training :(

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  14. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

15. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

While Allegiance might involve a little more understanding than Counter-Strike, I don't really think it's fair to call it complicated in any way, shape, or form.

It's been awhile since I played last, how's the size of the playerbase doing?

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Average online seems 60. :|

17. Jn.

Jn. Member

I need a joystick. I think that will increase playability by a lot.

18. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Ok, I showed my friend with the $100 joystick this game, and it seems that having a joystick (Not just one with 3 buttons) increases the fun about 250%. I didn't even know you could BANK, until he twisted the joystick (which auto-mapped all the controls by itself :D) left and right. He flips up the little flap thing, and presses down to fire missles! Which on the keyboard is ctrl-space...

This game isn't just more complicated the counter strike, it's the most complicated game I've ever played. And Dee, if you think that's an overstatement, go out, get Earth 2160, and try and figure out the tech-tree and how to custimize vehicles WITHOUT any help.
    I definitly think the words "little more understanding" don't even begin to cover the complexity of this game. If it only required a "little more" they wouldn't have a 30-page CRASH COURSE, with even MORE pages of ADVANCED guides, and after all that, TUTORIAL MISSIONS!

And as for the playerbase, last time I played today there was 7 people in a noob game, 1 in another, and 34 people in another game. Out of like 100 servers. Definitly not worth reading a book to know how to play...