Any update on when 2.0 might be released?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Hello.

I'm writing here because of number of CW members have voiced concern about getting tired of Empires. Whenever they go to the one RC server there are very few people on it and always the same maps. When will 2.0 be ready to be released so we can host our own servers and try and get more people into the game? If it isn't soon I'm afraid we may lose some current players.

Also, the Empires Federation (JPL+ONE+CW) is paying $150/mo for a virtually unused 1.071b server. That's a lot of money. Just something to consider. For the time being we are continuing to pay for it, but it would sit a lot better for us (all three clans) if there was a prospective release date announced.

2. rat

rat Member

i'm sure the game is closer than ever to getting released

3. nebajoth

nebajoth Member

the sky is blue

your turn again

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol yall need to be patient... quit biting at his toes for a release

im sure all hes gonna say is its done when its done.. i dont know why you would need to make a new thread to get that awnser

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There is a plan for releasing it, but it takes time. Until all the bugs are fixed and the game is balanced out properly, that plan can't be executed. How can you speed up the release? Play on the RC server, find and report bugs.

6. kestrel

kestrel Member

That's not really what Evan was talking about. Obviously you can get better bug testing with more players on more than one server. That's just plain obvious.

Maybe you guys can appease the masses or something - as a suggestion, maybe one full release for the next RC will do the trick.

Patience is great and all, but there's $150 a month going down the drain.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i had an idea awhile ago that i wanted to post up here.. and this is probably the perfect thread...

it seems like we only get enough people to play on fridays for the pickup games.. now is that because its friday and a bunch of people would be playing anyway or do people actually try to do the PUG thing?

i was thinking maybe we can have more pickup games

like 2 or 3 a week.. that would be cool

8. Simon

Simon Banned

Oh no we are losing CW members. /tear Just take your server down. I don't really find the same maps are getting boring. It is alot diffrent than 1.07b and as long as there are enough people it is fun.

It's a collective action problem. I always goto the server thing and hit refresh and if there are other people playing I'll join but if not I won't. Unfortunatly I think there are alot of people doing this....

EDIT: Also I would rather wait till after EP2 to see how/if that will effect empires.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  9. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't have a problem with getting 2.0 right the first time. A couple of CW guys came to me with a concern and I thought I would bring it up here.

Concern 1: Nobody is playing 1.071 and we are paying 150/mo for a 1.071 server

Concern 2: Only one 2.0 server so that makes it not so much fun to play on it.

Releasing 2.0 isnt the only answer. We could all play 1.071 until 2.0 comes out :)

10. Simon

Simon Banned

Or we could all play 1.08??

Your first concern, unless you can elaborate somehow, just makes you look retarded. Why don't you just burn 100 dollars, you'll be ahead 50 dollars.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i reccomend you take your 1.07 server down.... no need to spend money for nothing. thanks for your patronage previous to that.

i find the wait quite annoying too... but it'll all be over soon.

12. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Apparently the host that EFB is on will not give us the same deal if we stop the server for a month

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yes, but there's less and less people on the server. Even on friday evening the server doesn't fill up anymore.

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

He means for 2.0

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

OMG i posted that a long time ago! It should've been like this:

i clicked submit when solo's post was still the last one.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I know the plan. teehee. ^^

17. nebajoth

nebajoth Member

Most problems would be assuaged if we could begin the League. The main problem is "reserving" a very good server setup and the months and months that it sits there, empty.

I suggest either of the two following:

1) EFB is granted special dispensation to run a concurrent 2.0 server for the League, with Krenzo having debug access.

2) The 1.08 server is made available for league matches. We begin the league season on RC25.

18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Because a server costs X amount. It doesn't become Y amount just because you say you want to pay less.

League beginning soon would be cool and all...but like you said, it then needs a reliable server...and I don't think the official server for league stuff is a viable solution.

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well I pay $200/month for the official server that no one plays on except Fridays. Getting another server is going to drop the number of players on the server down further. How does that make sense to helping release 2.0 sooner?

If you want the release to happen sooner, go through the bug tracker and add notes to all the bugs describing how to reproduce them. I waste a lot of time trying to reproduce the bugs compared to time spent fixing them.

And seriously, knock it off with all the whining about your server. You complain to me in-game, and then you send me PMs. Are you trying to get on my bad side?

Why don't you let your server run TF2 or some other mod that you can play until 2.0 is released?

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

anyone like my idea for more pugs? maybe we can have one during the week and one during the weekend.. like friday and sunday or wensday and friday

this will give people more time to test the game the way its supposed to be played.. with more then 10 people! lol