Anti-Tank Rifle?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kuma, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Kuma

Kuma Member

Now I am not proposing the newet greatest anti tank weapon which will kill them in one hit, tanks are meant to be more powerful then infantry. But as I have seen, on a game where it is a little farther up the research tree, it takes a good 3-5 rockets to kill a tank, and by that time the grenadier will already have been machine-gunned, missiled, or cannon blasted. I am proposing a gun that is specifically designed to take out the armor of a tank, and has a much faster rate of fire then a rocket launcher. While the anti tank rifle will not be able to harm the tank's hull, or wil have very little effect, this will leave the tank open to another grenadier's rocket or mortar. An I know many will say that tanks in empires where designed to be unfair towards infantry, which they should be. But the infantry should have a way of fighting back, that dosent involve lobbing 4 rockets at a target, only to be blown away because he had absorbant or regenerative armor.

Short and sweet:
    Rifle for grenadier or rifleman that is designed to destroy only the armor on tanks so that a soilder with a rocket launcher can do his work. Rifle will be most accurate crouched (or prone in 1.08) has a medium rate of fire, like that of bolt action rifle (IE reloads each shot, not an auto loading semi auto like the pistols) isnt to good vs infantry but can till do damage in a pinch. And will work mainly on vehicles (a rocket is much better vs a building then an AP round).

2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I once proposed a tank-damaging rifle for the scout, that would do moderate damage to infantry as well. That was a long time ago, and it would take out armor but not hull.

I think it was shot down.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

yeah, but somehow you lost me right after the "it takes a good 3-5 rockets to kill a tank, and by that time the grenadier will already have been machine-gunned, missiled, or cannon blasted."
    I mean WUT? Tanks don't sttand a chance against a grenadier with full ammo that moves around frantically.. I myself have killed many tanks that way. It's just too hard to shoot down infantry that run up to your tank and then start jumping around when you try to shoot them.. If all the tanks should be made better against infantry.

I remember :D That was a good idea although it would have been more fitting for the grenadier/rifleman...

4. Kuma

Kuma Member

ok...so I am a crappy gren but you still get my point...

5. picard131

picard131 Member

How about an alternative to the RPG for the gren, an anti-tank rifle that does less damage (let's say 1/2) but shoots or reloads faster (let's say 2x). Could give grens who don't want to wait 20 seconds for their RPG to reload in combat a chance to kill some light vehicles and moderately damage the heavy ones so that they can be easily finished off.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I know realism doesn't particularly matter, but when I think of an anti-tank rifle, I think of a massive, high-damage flak machine. I just don't understand how this would not injure infantry. From a gameplay perspective I totally agree that it shouldn't, but I'm finding it tricky to justify this fact.

Also, what kind of ammunition is used to damage a tank? Is it just to puncture the armor, leaving it vulnerable? I'm sure this was discussed in the old thread, but I don't know much about the area. This would be a good opportunity to come up with some really cool piece of kit, but I think it has to - at least partially - make sense.

7. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Or possibly tie infantry into the research tree so their weapons keep up with the other researched facets of the game?

8. Slithzerikai

An anti tank rifle doesn't nescessarily have to be big, but I know it's probably single-shot and makes a really loud bang. If there ever is one, I think it should instantly kill any infantry, damage tank armor but not hull, or do small hull damage but not touch armor at all (piercing it), but the downside of it is that it should take 5-7 seconds to reload and gives a 2-3 second daze effect from shooting it (due to being so close to the blast)

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

O :D If Krenzo was to code that in for the next patch he makes me a very happy person :D also I might finally be tempted to show Empires to my brother again (he shot it down last time :/)

10. Kuma

Kuma Member

By anti-tank rifle i am refering to something along the lines of the Boys .55 or the Japanese Type 97 Where it is a very large rifle that must be shot prone (or causes damage to player from recoil?) Both of these where used in the early stages of WWII and they used either a 20mm cannon round in the Type 97 or a .55 or 13.9mm round in the Boys. These rifles only had a 300-500 yard range, so if they are implmented, they wouldnt be able to fire across an enemy base, or across the ditch in Money.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

infantry research would be awesome.

-----------

if this gets implemented, it should leave a clear smoke trail like the Halo snipe rifle.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

It sounds exactly like the RPG, except faster and unguided.

13. Slithzerikai

It probably would be. But I still stick with my single action idea.

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Infantry research would be such a hassle to balance.

15. picard131

picard131 Member

What if the weaponry upgrades just applied to infantry too?

Ahh, scratch that. I see a bit of a problem with grens weilding nuke RPGs.

16. Kuma

Kuma Member

Not necessarily, just impliment a system like the rank upgrades. where the player chooses what upgrade o use on his gone. It dosen't have to use rank points but it can cost resources. Say you research biological rounds and high explosive rounds. On a players weapon, they would to exactly the same thing as they do on the vehicle versions, albiet toned down a tad. This also comes with some restrictions.

Take the RPG for example, the only upgrades aviliable to it would be homing, high explosive, and fly by wire. But these would come at a consequence to the player versions.
    Again, take the RPG, random missiles would become duds and fail to work, or have the upgrades fail to work (so it is just a dummy rocket)
    If a rifleman uses the biological weapons upgrade, he runs the risk of being contaminatd if he uses it for to long.

These upgrades would be within reason, no nuclear RPG's and no rail gun rifles. These upgrades would require to much modification to the existing system and would become a new gone.
    Balance isnt a problem either, it works the same as weapons for tanks. Once the HE Machine-gun becomes aviliable, it becomes aviliable to the infantry as well, making Empires even more of a tactics game then just a FPS.

Short and sweet version:
    Infantry upgrades would coincide with vehicle upgrade, but all new technologies would run the risc of backfiring, not working, ect. Both teams would be ballanced due to the fact that they both have the same research tree. ll upgrades would be within the realm of reality, so no nuclear RPG's and no railgun mortars. (I know there have been feild gun nukes before, but that would just be a litle to much for right now, unless you could get radiation suits, but that is a whole different thread).

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

well i think we can all agree that releasing 1.8 before attempting to add this stuff is much more important

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

I agree grapehead..
    Also if you add infantry research the commander has too much on hand to actively command. So that idea would require a subcommander to be added. (which I'm in favour of if the server could handle 64+ players.)

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yeah, i do kinda agree that I'd like to see the remaining bugs cleared up and a release made. not saying that we should never have new features, but getting 1.08 out would be awesome

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I still want to flog my dead horse suggestion :p

An electrical dispersion gun that could disable tanks for maybe 5 secs each shot (it may or may not disable tanks firing). Give it as an option for the rifleman as a primary weapon, problem solved - the rifleman doesn't get overpowered because he can't be used anti-infantry very well with this gun, but equally he can hold off tanks for a minute or so (but cant destroy them), and has to wait for backup. :cool: