Another mad idea... Passive upgrades?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Niarbeht, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Just thought up a crazy idea. It might be interesting to give each major research branch (physics, chemistry) it's own special upgrade that gives a passive bonus to all of a certain kind of thing. For example, chem could get some kind of gunpowder-improving research, increasing the damage/speed of all bullets/shells fired. Bio could get a research that gives +10% health to all people on the team. Mech. Eng. could... uhm... get something. That does stuff. Like perhaps a research that reduces all tank base weights by 10%. Or perhaps just 5%, just enough for that extra cannon/MG/whatever.

This was coupled in my mind with it taking time, for whatever reason, to switch between different branches of research. Thus, if you research physics, you can't research anything BUT physics for, I dunno, 60 seconds after you've researched physics or something under physics. This might encourage cleaning an entire tree of research, BUT I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT IT IS A GOOD IDEA WITH HOW OUR CURRENT RESEARCH TREE WORKS. Were we to someday implement a system where the branches can essentially act as independent research paths, basically as part of an overarching strategy (for example, bio might be useful on a big, open map where your tank being immobilized is a very bad thing. Or something). Again, this second idea is made of TOTAL SUCK for our current tree, it'd need a different tree to work properly. Don't flame this second idea, WE ALREADY KNOW. If anyone ever revamps the research tree, just keep this idea in the back of your mind.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

There has been some recent discussion on revamping the research tree in such a way, I personally like this idea and hopefully after 2.0 we can start working on it.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

or have it as a research with only the general branch as a prereq (ie: bio-> infantry +10 hp)

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

5. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Sounds nice but do we really need all this fancy and small things to be included in the mod?

Even this is nice idea and I like it still isn't this becoming to a bit of micromanaging? Like, you have this thing in the mod and it is nice addition but it doesn't affect so much to anything so why have it?

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I like it; gives ressearch for of an impact isntead of "Hard Bonuses" that are right now...

7. Valiant

Valiant Member

I love this idea. Do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Could electrical give a slight boost to all turret tracking or some such?

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Oh, hey, that'd be a simple EE improvement. All turrets/cams/radars (both engy and comm) get +10% range? And all missiles get +10% lockon distance?

Might be interesting stuff.

Anyway, I noticed that most strategy games have immediate impact researches, but Empires COMPLETELY lacks these. This would probably be seen by most newcomers as crap.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

well... arnt infantry upgrades on one of the many back burners (how large of a stove does krenzo&co have)? if so just make this how those are implemented.

10. J1ZM0

J1ZM0 Member

Krenzo's stove is the size of a small african country (or Belgium)

I quite like the idea of getting a small upgrade for researching one part of a tech tree, it may stop people from mixing and matching and force them to just use one tree, could also mean slightly games

11. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Krenzo's old stove was a piece of Uranium. His hot pockets were stolen by environmentalists.

12. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

not exactly a relevant comment, but I think it'd be really nice to get the research tree to a point where there'd be different combinations that would go well together (either being in the same branch of research or just complementary) and some of these would suit different maps and/or be strong against another set of research.

If this idea helps spruce up the tech tree then I'd go for it (even if it was only meant to come in with a changed tree anyway). That said, I wouldnt make it a benefit off of the first research in a tree, unless it was a really minor one that could be enhanced by further researches (e.g. bio tree gives you bonushealth lvl1 which adds 1 or 2 hp and further researches can get it up to lvl3 giving 10-20 hp). Unless the first step cost a lot more time/money that is.

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Even though there are things like that... They are not strong enough... It is usualy the same set of ressearch, because they armors cannot be told appart; and the weaknesses they have are just "Meh"

There are only 4 cannons; with only 2 being used alot (When was the last time anyone used Ranged cannon?)

It's always HE and sometimes plasma that get some love (But most of the time HE)

I would love to see a more of a "Rock Paper Scisor" type of thing with the armors and weapons; which means more weapons... and intensifying their strengths and weakneses...