Am I the only one? NF tanks, please update them!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by P4p3Rc1iP, Nov 24, 2007.

1. P4p3Rc1iP

P4p3Rc1iP Member

Hopefully I'm not the only one that thinks the NF tanks look kinda bad. Let me explain:

I've felt like this ever since the HL2 version of Empires came out, and I had hoped you'd done a thing about it with the release of V2.0.

I'm talking about the Med, Heavy and Arty tank. I understand they're kinda supposed to look like scrap metal and post apocalyptic, and that's really cool and all, but right now they look like the WW1 tanks, which on itself isn't that bad, but these ones are just so damn ugly.

The texture and model was ok-ish in 2002 (Or whenever BF1942 came out, don't remember), but now, 5 years later, it looks really outdated.

But the problem is in my opinion not only the model and texture, it's the design itself too. I think the med and arty tanks are sort of ok-ish in design and just need some tweaking. The heavy tank however just looks rather silly. It's way too long, and compared to the med tank, it doesn't have much extra that makes it look "heavy", except for the length. Now, if the turret was really big and needed such a large frame, it'd be ok, but the turret is just tiny. Makes the whole tank look like a stretched-out slug with a weedy gun!

I propose you make the med tank slightly smaller/less tall (It's a huge step up from the light to the med) and shorten the heavy tank quite a bit.

Hell, if you lot don't have the time, but think the idea is cool, I might just do them myself, if that's ok with you ofcourse!

So, what do you lot reckon? Should the NF tanks get an update or not?

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I actually like the designs and looks of the vehicle in the game. They're one of the few things I think that need updating at this point in time.

Although I would admit that the textures can look rather... dated when up close but that's really my only gripe with them at the moment :)

3. Valiant

Valiant Member

Views different than the group for people that have been staring at the textures for ~6 months are probably a good thing to listen to.

4. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

Keep in mind the scope of the levels in Empires, and how much is going on.

Super awesome looking textures up close might look good in screenshots, but when you're playing with 3fps, not so much ><. Besides, they don't look THAT bad.

As for the tanks, I agree and I don't. When I first played empires, I HATED the NF tanks. Now I love them. They grew on me. Besides, they're unique and makes NF feel like a vastly different faction, rather than 2 factions that are basically the same minus some small details like BF2142 for example (not that I'm insulting BF2142).

I enjoy the different style of tank now.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

BE meds and Heavies still look a lot better than the NF versions, but imo the NF heavy doesn't look so bad. I would only tweak the medium to look ...well more streamlined, it does look kinda big and high...and...well just look at tankwars - you always see one or two BE meds around, but hardly ever NF ones, you get LT's instead, because they're cool and fast.

6. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i didn't see a problem with all the old guns, but i like the new ones now, and they apparently needed remodeling and reskinning.

In much the same way, I can understand his opinions on the medium and the heavy. The light tank, however, I love. That lil' puppy has a special place in my heart.

I say, if they do in fact need an overhaul, then keep the basic idea of the light tank--- a wheel/car/tank thing combo. But the heavies now have extra ml slots, so perhaps something would be made to reflect this?

Keep in mind that the devs intend to make the heavy side ports operatable with other people in the seats, so that might affect things.

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

The NF LT is absolutely the best model. I've never had any problems with the NF heavy, arty or medium, they're just ... less awesome than the LT.

I do think either the BE APC or AFV (or both) have some very bad textures at the part where the weels are.

Now i 'think' that it seems as if the NF tanks are less detailed, because they have light colors that are very visible, while the BE tanks are dark which makes them require a lot less detail to look good. So in general the BE tanks probably are better to look at. Maybe for some future release a small improvement to the NF tanks wouldn't hurt?

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'd rather play with aircrafts than with updated NF tanks. :)

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

CHRIST DUDE! Stop mocking my gun. :rage:

:p

And just noting that when you have 10-15 of these tanks rolling on your screen, the performance comes first, not the looks. So they cannot be extremely detailed and so on because I have even now hard time to keep my fps above 20 when I use medium model quality and texture settings and there are around 15 tanks from our side on my screen plus another 15 from BE's side.

10. P4p3Rc1iP

P4p3Rc1iP Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to make clear, my main problem isn't with the detail or the quality of the textures. Sure, they could be better, but that's not too much of an issue.

The problem lies with the overall design and shape.

I love the light tank, it looks like it's a fast quick hitter, which it is.

The med and heavy look like they're slow, but the size of med gun compared to the heavy makes it almost look like the heavy has a smaller gun.

Heavy just looks like a slow, armored fortres without any real firepower. That's wrong imo.

So like I proposed, make the med a bit smaller (it's as bg as the heavy now), and give the heavy a bigger turret (and move it more backwards so it's roughly in the middle of the hull, if possible).

Ofcourse, I understand this isn't really high priority, but if these were to be updated a little, Empires would, for me, be much closer to perfection!

11. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I sort of agree. The NF tanks could use some tweaking. Especially the heavy.

12. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Oh now I got it.

Then I agree. They could use a bit adjustment.

13. ^Dee^

I would agree that I don't like the position of the heavy tank's turret. Looks kinda hanging off the front :P

14. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

while we're on the subject, i think more could be done to differentiate the be APC and the AFV. Yes, yes, i know, there are visual indicators for anyone who's played the game for more then a day, but the same idea applies- it's all about style, and as far as style goes, the apc and the afv look exactly the same.

15. ^Dee^

Racing stripes.

16. Black_out

Black_out Member

the tanks are suppose to look like that since they are rebels and they got the tanks from a war long long ago which would explain why they look rusty

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

A long time ago, Krenzo said that the other two smaller turrets were also going to be operable by other players inside the tank. This would make the heavy rather buttsechsy

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

there's a story behind the AFV/APC likeness buttery... i'm sure it's on the wiki or something :)

19. pedro0930

pedro0930 Member

20. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

The only things I would like seeing changed is making the AFV look more different than a APC, and making the NF Med and HVY smaller, as at the moment there almost impossible to miss.

The one thing I do really like about the NF (and most of the BE tanks) is that even at extreme distance when there just a few pixels you can still tell exactly what they are.