Allow com to restrict vehicle re-customization

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329, Feb 22, 2010.

1. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Com makes chem heavies or something with he cannon and uml, team says no I don't want a fgt UML on mine; instead I want a med chain gun. They recustomize their tanks into retard tanks, and you end up recylcing the repair pad.

Allow the com to prevent recustomization pl0x.

2. Goldblade

Goldblade Member

I've never seen this as a real problem...And this seems to simply be more problematic than helpful

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

I take it you never command retards?

4. God_Hand

God_Hand Member

If they want to trade their tank killing power (UML) to kill something that HE Cannon already rapes, the comm has every right to be mad. It's a pretty stupid decision, and it's liable to cost the team dearly when you can't kill tanks.

Although you should be glad that they're not dropping armor to fit a chain gun on...

5. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I'm not sure if you want to implement something that takes away freedom from decent players just because some guy somewhere, sometime, may or may not use a tank configuration the comm isn't happy with.

6. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

The thing is, if a good player asks for a certain tank, I'll unquestiongly give him what he wants because Ill assume he'll do something useful with it.

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

if a player knows how to refit their tanks, they probably know what they're doing.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I never customise my tanks for the team...I just tell them what they have, and let them roll out. I don't see the point in having autonomous units if you're just going to whip them to do what you want. Hell, I hardly ever lock the vf if I can help it, true, sometimes I get mad and have to...but if they're draining that many vehicles, we're probably going to lose anyway.

And yes, i've commanded 'tards...and yes, i've seen a whole team do exactly what they shouldn't consistently until they're ground against a wall with a meatgrinder. And it really sucks :headshot:

Also...ffs crossroads, too damn easy to fail quickly!!!!!!!!!!!

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It makes sense to restrict recustomizing since the end goal of restricting is to give the commander full control. Not being able to restrict re customizing means that the comm could not buy a certain research even though he restricted to get it.

It can be exploited and I would suggest it to make it so that when you restrict the vf, it also restrict the repair pad for further customizing.

10. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Screwing over anyone that already has a tank and wants to upgrade to the latest tech.
    Of course then you can add a little flag to "commander produced" tanks that disables customization only on them, but that's a ton of effort compared to other way more important things to spend precious coding on.

The whole vehicle buying/customization thing could do with an upgrade anyway. There's no way "noober mcnubnoob" should get a shiny new 900 res tank seconds after driving his old one into a turret farm or off a cliff, when someone that has gone around on foot building/destroying refineries has been waiting in the vf for over 5 minutes to get a chance to upgrade his refinery building/destroying efforts with a tank.

If you really want to smooth out the current fairly hardcore vehicle buying/customization system then start at the beginning and build an interface that rewards useful players with a greater opportunity to acquire a tank, that way you don't even have to worry about crap tanks getting built/customized.
    Honestly, the current system is built around the assumption that all players know what they're doing. So when it's obviously not working out as well the answer shouldn't be to restrain the players that DO know what they're doing in order to allow players that DON'T to exist within such a system. Just change the system then.

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'd prefer simply being able to restrict certain research items after they have been researched. Some things (composite, arty) I don't like to research because noobs who don't know how to use them properly get them and then waste their tanks.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

A commander with full control is the best system to take care of who deserves a tank, I don't think you'll find a better replacement. A good upgrade for the vehicle customization would be one that is geared towards the commander being to able to drop tanks more easily.

If lets say you had a system that was based on presets, any comm could drop proper tanks and do it just as fast as a good comm can currently give attack targets.

I agree with the point that it wouldn't be a good idea to have one checkbox restrict both the vf and repair pad customizing, but I do think that the option should be there for the comm to have full control over where the resources go to, as re customizing costs resources as well in most cases.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

QFT <filler/>

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'd still like the ability to allow anyone to customize vehicles with what they want. Some matches I can trust my team enough to get vehicles that suit their needs without micromanagement. In fact, good players are likely to have better tank layouts that I would build for them because they know their own playing style and can customize a tank accordingly.

Selective restriction is really only needed because I have commanded many matches where this is not the case and there are some players on my team who do what they want regardless of how it affects the team. If someone is wasting res by spamming jeeps, I'm limited to simply restricting all vehicle creation which hurts the good players who are using their tanks effectively. If I was able to restrict jeeps only, then I would be able to stop the useless jeep wasting but not hinder the better players.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and then you end up with a newbie or just retarded commander and you get heavies with only a medcg on them ... been there done that, plz dont restrict us too much ...

on the other hand, chassis based restriction would really be nice, especially for arties and jeeps - for each research item would maybe be nice, but i can see it ending up in a huge ass popup menu that is just too much of a burdon to use, so prolly no good choice ...

16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

If you had a commander who only drops you a med CG tank, he is either gonna get kicked or you're gonna lose before he gets kicked.

And a very common example that I'm sure everyone has experienced at least once is say on slaughtered, you get nukes, and immediately everyone gets a nuke tank, causing you to get slaughtered due to a lack of anti-tank capabilities.
    Ofc, it's not like I research nukes anyways though but for those commanders who do, it gets really irritating.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think you should just be able to restrict specific things.

For example, when an engine is researched, I'll restrict standard. Likewise for armour.

I may later find out the enemy has nukes, and we have both Bio Diesel and Gas Turbine. I'd restrict Gas Turbine.

But re-customisation itself should never be restricted.

18. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Well, yeah, I guess restricting certain weapons would be helpful...
    But if your team immediately goes to a repair pad to go re-outfit your tanks to those weapons that you restricted in the vf, it again defeats the purpose of simply restricting the factory.

19. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I think the problem may be you going about it wrong. I don't know, but I see more people push back than simply push... meaning if you as comm create three tanks and say "okay use these" people are more likely to go refit and run off than if you had just said "I need people to roll out some vehicles, we have UML".

I understand some exceptions exist, but I don't know if this is a solution to a real problem or not. I vote no to restricting recustomization because of it's relatively lesser cost (usually it's for different armor/engine, and if it's for weapons the question becomes do you want a tank that can kill or a little extra res but the tank is more likely to die?).

Could be convinced, but I'm not yet ;)

20. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

O.K, I'll give a very simple and common example; I already gave this example, but let's assume that you didn't see it.
    You're on slaughtered. You're vf isn't restricted, and as usual, you're in a stalemate. Because you think it'll help, you get nukes. You tell your team only to get 2 nuke tanks, or however many you want out on the field. OFC, your team goes like OMG NUKES!!11!11! and they get a bunch of nuke tanks to rape infantry and farm points, albeit losing their 900 res or so heavies to the enemy much easier due to lack of Anti-Tank weapons. So you restrict vehicle creation, and drop a few nuke tanks, but mainly, let's say, uml tanks to fight back the oncoming hoard of enemy tanks. You, however, have a repair pad, and your idiot team immediately goes to put nukes on their heavy because they think that nukes are super leet against everything.

*Edit* There have also been time when I get ready to rush the enemy commander, begin recycling everything in base, but as I do so, some people swap their du apc for a 50 cal one... :\

In this example, I believe that I have addressed your points because:
    a. If people hear that there are nuke heavies, they usually like to put nukes on their heavies ASAP without any provocation or interference on the part of the commander.
    b. The real cost here isn't the cost for simply "upgrading" a weapons system. It is instead the cost of the heavy tank you just lost because your tank had a nuke on it while the opposing tank had, say, dual he.