All these new aircraft models...

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchslap, Oct 8, 2008.

1. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

Frankly, we need to consider balancing as part of the design process of these models that community members are cranking out. I realized this after seeing one of mrsnipes models for BE Gunship that had about 16 chaingun models attached to it.

Now I'm not saying that's a finished product or should be immediately used, but I think we need to figure out what the community wants (or the devs for that matter) in regards to making the aircraft team-unique as well as balanced.

At the current state, who's to say that the BE gunship COULDN'T have a ton of weapons , fly faster than the NF gunship but be incredibly weak on armor plates. Imo, balancing aspects like this NEED to be sorted out before any decisions can be made on which models are even remotely useable in empires.

Another example : NF Bomber does does twice the damage that BE bomber does but flies at 70% the speed and has 85% the armor.

Sorting out things of this nature would go along way to helping our modelling members get a better idea of what these aircraft are going to require. And we're not reinventing the wheel here, the tanks follow similar balancing rules so it's just keeping things in the empires-tech world.

2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Well there is a general theme to BE and NF already.

BE:
    More powerful-Less accurate
    Heavier-Slower
    Slower, Better research (no superlights, but superheavies)

NF:
    Less powerful-More Accurate
    Lighter-Faster
    Fast research
    Also, jeeps carry more troops to go along with the whole guerilla idea.

It isnt totally polarized ingame but you get the idea. So I'd just say apply this to aircraft. The BE gunship might be slower, with heavier armor, and more chaingun seats (if theyre making weapons seat specific). The NF gunship would be best as a flying APC, dropping off troops and cutting people down here and there. Just my thought.

Whats still unknown is how important aircraft are. Would a gunship be an APC, with 1MG slot and 1CN(Bomb?) slot, costing all about 5-700 res? Or will it be more? Are bombers endgame vehicles or not? etc.

P.S.--It seems like an Art forum would help to pool all of the models together, and get them out of general.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  3. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

maybe we need to realize that some people aren't going to like aircraft and who cares what they think (i mean their are people that don't like the scout/jeep and who cares what they think :P). The reality is it will 100% change this game. All old tactics will be USELESS in face of more mobile aircraft. And the truth is this mod needs it cause it's really gives the impression of rough-edge slapped-together models everywhere you look.

So one team could spend all day researching tanks and completely loose to opposite team getting airplanes that hover like helicopters and just rip the shit out of the always-slower always-oblivious tank.

This game will be differant... all attempts to nice-and-easy nerf-merge into this game will make them so useless that no com will ever invest in them (or research them)... or you make them useful and everything else in the game useless... it's really a new game... maybe the mod team should just develop a second mod with aircraft and tanks and jeeps (and better names for the opposing teams... we'll call it warhawk) (and knowone will play the old mod with just tanks... i know i wouldn't... lol and end to calculators and just flying around... i'm all for it :P)

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Community models aren't official models, don't consider them as such until they start showing up in the devblog.

5. Empty

Empty Member

So, in that post, you just managed to say that there is no art scheme to empires.
    As well as saying you won't need aircraft on 8x/16x maps.
    And then you make it obvious that you're completely oblivious to everything that is said here on these forums, by obviously thinking every map will have aircraft.
    [That ssentence had a lot of obviousnez.]
    I'm sorry, I have to go to hospital, the force of the facepalm gave me a concussion.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

are any dev's particularly interested in 'running aircraft design/needs' section for now? it was suggested in a another thread and it seems to be the best way to proceed (with community feedback as usual)

7. Angry

Angry Junior Member

There are AA vehicles HUR HUR.

8. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

O come on! warhawk has flak cannons and heat-seaking-missile turrets that people sit in all day just shooting down aircraft lol

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

??? BE is more accurate and less powerfull and NF is the other way around.
    There is no such thing like a faster OR slower you can put any engine in any
    tank, same fore research you can research what you want for any facion.

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Do you smoke anything?

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You don't need to pay for vehicles or turrets in Warhawk. And it's got 6 (4 if you don't have the expansion pack) vehicles and 3 turrets. And nine fucking weapons for vehicles. How you can even remotely compare this to future Empires gameplay, I don't know.

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Well, at least NF will be able to survive air assaults with DU APCs.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

You take the apc, I'l take the flak truck ^^

14. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Sissies!
    Scout stun stickies is NFs REAL anti air.

15. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

what we need is a sticky stun (flare) gun for the scout!

U can sticky an aircraft if you're good and when its down it might explode or not and u got to deal with whatever then just landed on the ground and survived.

might then also be funny to rush as scout into the open range of and 8x map and shoot down a people carrying aircraft in the complete outback :D

and what we'll also need is AirWalls!!! xD

16. Omneh

Omneh Member

Aircraft should be really, really good - a worthy investment, but anti air > aircraft, ALWAYS. No truly effective countermeasures, so you are reliant on tanks and infantry taking out the AA turrets and vehicles, and counter the enemy grenadiers. Same for tank divisions, a few AA trucks and grens among a tank column to protect them against the odd gunship would not go amiss.

Maybe chaff that allows aircraft to make a quick retreat without wasting 2000 res, but they have to retreat and stay away from the AA, nothing that allows a gunship to continue ripping the shit out of a base unmolested. Unless of course its undefended, with no handy grenadiers around.

17. Empty

Empty Member

Oh my god.
    Self-imposed take out the SAM sites so we can drop a napalm missions.

It's like CnC but I'm driving every vehicle, building every structure and shooting every shot.

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I'll go and download the C&C soundtrack

19. Empty

Empty Member

Already there bro.
    Hell March and Grinder, every Empires round [Although every 3rd round is drop the bombshell ^^]

20. Omneh

Omneh Member

napalm bombs... mhhhmmmhhmhmhmhmhhmhmhm

we need napalm bombs.