Alan Wake (Dx10 Game)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deiform, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

These screenshots for the upcoming psychological thriller left my jaw hanging. If half-life 2 had that many textures and soft shadows, nobody would've been able to run it until the new DX10 cards came out (at a guess anyway).

I mean, jesus christ, this they are just mind blowingly good. Dunno what the gameplay will be like though. =P

Alan Wake site

Made by the Max Payne guys though, so they have a reputation of making a decent game (played through Max Payne 1 no end of times with the kung fu mods and without).

Wow, just watched the movie, I am definately buying this game!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

This game seems amazing, not only in its story, but the technology they use... and the totaly went around using that physics CPU, by using a multicore processor, and when heavy physics calculations are needed, all of the cores shift accordingly

I say this is very amazing stuff; It caught my eye a long time ago (Rougly half a year ago or so, when they just showed the teaser)

3. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

About frikkin time they started to use dual cores. Sucks if you do have a PPU though.

4. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Sadly Vista only. :( A bit of useless trivia some of the guys at the Remedy entertainment used to be part of a demo group called Future Crew. After they stopped participating demo combos the group split into Remedy, BitBoys(yeah, the guys who never got their 3D chip into production) and the organisation behind 3DMark.

It's a sweet looking game, but I wouldn't expect anything less from these guys. Max Payne was bleeding edge when it came out, Max Payne 2 was the first game I've played that used shaders properly(not only for 'pritty water'), oh and I used to love their first title Death Rally.

:( Sadly money runs the world and I have little to no intention of getting Vista on my computer. A couple of years and I might be a full convert to the Linux world(if only Valve would port Steam and Source engine to Linux. Won't probably happen since Gabe is an ex-Microsoft employee and Steam is quite tight with Windows).

Goodbye hell of a good looking game...

5. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I'm pretty sure you can emulate steam for free using wine(yup) or just go with the cedega option.

I think the people over at wine are looking at DX10 to port over in their next versions as well and when hat happens I might just say goodbye to windows.

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) Wine... I've tried to install that four times this far. I haven't been succesful yet(their flower repositories didn't have the file for some reason last time I tried). Now I'm going to install Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft RC and see, if I'll have any better luck.

I've heard that Cedega is quite good, but I prefer not paying extra for software that I've already payed for(Steam games,etc.).

Time will tell, time will tell. The problem with game developers and Linux is mostly due to the lack of standardization between the distributions. Market is another thing, but I've seen more and more people installing linux of late so I guess there market for linux games is coming...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  7. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Very true. Maybe you should try in the ubuntu help forum, there should be a bunch of howtos (like here). I'm an Ubuntu user myself and it's a pretty snazzy system if it weren't for the lack of games and driver support (curse you Microsoft monopoly!).

As for the standardization between distros, it's really inching closer together but mostly depends on their philosophy and intended purpose. I like ubuntu's community, resourcefulness and focus on ease of use while still being able to do whatever you want. And as things go along you might in the end see companies like (<3) iD, Digital Extremes, BioWare, Intel, Novell etc that support the open source initiative and deliver their products cross-platform (like any dev should) reap the profits.

Anyway, we're getting off-track. Maybe we should open up a linux topic and post howto's to install Empires on there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I should get working on that, then.

9. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

It looks as tho its gonna turn out like the Doom 3 engine, looks awsome before it came out, then it comes out alright, then now its meh. (thought it was too much like the quake 3 engine and in my opinion Q3 was the worst engine ever made.)

I dont think it looks all that great, DX10 isnt gonna make much of a difference on the DX9c cards that are availible, once DX10 cards come out, then ya, maybe vista would be worth getting, but im not gonna get it.
    Also its coming for 360 which is suppost to be made to actually use DX10, so it shouldnt look bad on there, since i already own one and I get to check out games at EBgames for free, I dont feel like paying 400-500 bucks for a DX10 card and Vista.

Anyways, i think the time to upgrade is a year or two from now, the same with the ps3, not worth getting this year.
    But anyways, it looks ok, but still you look at the engine of the car, doesnt look that great and you can tell its just one painted thing, which makes it look kinda retarded. The trees look like generic game trees, still flat ends sticking out.

anyways i dont mean to sound bashing, but in a year after this comes out, its gonna look blocky - Blocky Game Theory -

10. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I thought they were making a PS3 version as well...:confused:

11. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

i remember a 360, ps3 im not so sure, and 2nd who would truly buy a ps3 given to its bottleneck? and 3rd the wii is gonna own xD

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

I remember Alan Wake was announced as a launch tiltle for the PS3, hmm guess they canceled it... oh well I'll still be getting a PS3 & a Wii.

13. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

well i know ps3 lost alot of games, last i heard 360 has 200 games being developed right now, Wii - 150, and ps3 120

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You'll have to ask Niar as he knows more of Wine and what it can and cannot do...but I doubt it will touch DX10 for a longggg time (as far as I know, simple games like Guild Wars, America's Army and such have issues with Wine. Its not what does not work, its what does work?) Most games will run a DX9 mode AS WELL as a DX10 mode. It won't be Vista only....heck, I think the D3 engine can run a DX7 mode?

Either way, Shader Model 4.0 is what's behind those amazing graphics...but DX10, an Vista for that matter aren't there yet (they're still Betas essentially). Its good to see dual core used, but I'd like to see two other things:

X core support. No, its not some special hardware or program. I mean X as a variable - in general multicore support - the ability to scale. Quad cores are very close to being on the market (as in within 1 year).

With what I was talking about above, I'd like to see the PPU die. Why? Well, its a waste of a PCI slot, its a waste of power, its a waste of money, its a waste of space. Why? Well, the answer lies within multicore processors. I don't know what the DX physics engine will do, but I'd like to see it run off of the CPU rather than the GPU or a PPU. If you've got 2 cores, use 1 for general tasks, use the other for only physics calculations...push Intel and AMD to include a PhysicsNow! instruction set or something...and you're as good as gold. No more add in card crap. With dual-cores, quad-cores and Ican'tcountthathigh-cores within the next few years, they'll be so many cores (there will be a limit, amdahl's law cannot hold true) but we'll have more than we'll need for what the CPU does now. Eventually the CPU may just become part of the GPU (PS3's Cell ring a bell?)

Weareaser - what distro of Linux are you on? I know for Gentoo there is a ebuild package on the portage tree that I can get through emerge....I think Wine works with x86_64...not sure.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  15. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft Release Candidate and prior to that I removed my old Ubuntu 6.06 installation that got fucked up after I removed a faulty NIC from my comp. :( I'll try installing all the sheit again once I get the works working again. :)

16. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

the cell and gpu are different in the ps3, i think your thinking about the PS2 Slim thing they combined the CPU-GPU but their seperate cores, I believe ;/

Also i believe the cell is gonna create a horrendous bottleneck, along with the poor output of the cell processor wafers or whatever, and the blu-ray production. Either way PS3 is gonna flop the first 1-2years and Wii will dominate the 7th gen consoles.

17. Pope_Homeless_XIII

The Wii might own next gen but I'll be a while, because as right now most of the people I've talked to about the Wii still think it's a risky investment. The only people that are willing to buy it as of right now are the hardcore Nintendo Fanboy/girls, & Sony haters. Personally I like the Wii, it's different, but there aren't alot of games that I want at the moment except for Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, & Red Steel. The PS3 is still a mystery but I like the fact that most games that I want are going to be on it like MGS4, GTA 4, Gran Turismo 5, & Tony Hawk 8 among others are going to the PS3. (Yes I know some of these games are multiconsole, but playing GTA & Tony Hawk (& Metal Gear) on another console rather than on a PS/2/3 is kinda like playing a PC FPS or RTS with a controller in my opinion)

18. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Wii's already got 150 games developing since alot of developers flocked from the PS3, nintendo has been real nice with their dev kits and cost like $2,000 - $5,000. PS3 if i remember was alot and not much helpful, as i believe, the cell is just a hidden single core cpu.

360 - 200 games developing as of now
    Wii - 150 Games (has alot of backing from major game companies)
    PS3 - 120 Games maybe less I dunno,

Also sony has been using alot of dirty false tactics against the 360 and Wii.
    I just dont find that respectable.

(Also Rainbow Six Vegas demo, fwking awesome game yo)

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The way the cores are done in the Cell is what I'm referring too.

ALso, you're wrong - output of the cell beats all other processors at this point - its easily capable of 10+ GFLOPS (Floating Point Operations Per Second - these are more stessfull then integer math) double precision, and in single precision I've seen 20+ GFLOPS cited. The P4/AMD64 series reside around 5 GFLOPs double. As far as bandwidth, the Cell looks to be up to par, if not better.

20. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

I have nothing against you, but Im going to have to say I cant trust you seeing this. Mostly to you stating I've seen. But the main reason is their not out, and the only source of their performance is Sony which I cannot trust, and has been stated as in the theory of their speed.

The poor cell wafer output was refering to the Cell Chip Manufacturing, not the performance. Cause a big percent were coming out defective than what they wanted. Hence why i used the word Wafer, as in what the chip comes on.

But as in all, every computer hardware is going to have a bottleneck. The cell is basically a single-cored cpu with little tiny babies. PPE-SPEs. The way you put it, makes it sound like your saying its an 8-core cpu (which I have seen people quote it as). Its just a CPU with little tiny PPU's and Rending Processors(?)

My computer has an ok CPU but its bottleneck relies in the poor memory which is DDR2-533. The GPU may have a big bottleneck, the memory, or the instructions going into and out of the PPE to the SPE(s).

AMD and Intel next-gen cpu's have not yet been shown (refering to the quad-core and the next socket cpus) So, they may still have a surprise.

Bandwith for the cell looks very made up since it has been said it is just in theory, but my opinion is mainly due to bottlenecks. I just would like to see what if a cell had an eDRAM like the 360 has for its GPU, and see what kind of bandwiths it would get. Infact I wonder what if mobo's had eDRAM, I kinda find it an interesting subject with the eDRAM. Anyways that was just my theory of what kind of performance it would get.

Ya, Im not much of an Tech Expert as I usto be, I'm more into the whole Psychology thing xD

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006