Aircraft, Classes, and G-LOC

Discussion in 'General' started by Krenzo, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Darg

Darg Member

Sounds fantastic. You're a god Krenzo!

I dare any other mod to point to its own implementation of g-loc or even flying aircraft!

2. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

First off, to all the people saying crap about what they've done or what they know:
    This is not Earth. That A+ in physics you're so proud of doesn't help much in a an entirely fictional game.

Anyways, I think it would be a great idea to stop crazy flight moves, but to a degree that's still fun. Because I love pulling a Millenium Falcon between canyons in airplane games :D
    Also, I don't really care about which class is the best against G-Loc, just as long as people use the scout less. A skill that helps you fly planes better (better handling) would be GREAT. I hate it when you can't turn fast enough even with air brakes and doing a full bank (turning sideways and pulling up) to shoot a guy.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well, the less wind moving across your control surfaces, the less lift the surfaces will create resulting in reduced maneuverability. Using the air brake isn't going to help unless you have lots of speed.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

one question: do the wings have anything to do with the thrust at all? because otherwise you could probably just spin the aircraft on the spot when you're going along, and just zoom in the other direction.

like you can with your garry's mod planes

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yes, wings and all control surfaces have to do with thrust. I'm simulating everything accurately right now. The lift equation used to calculate the force generated from the wings and control surfaces is:

Lift = coefficient of lift * density/2 * velocity^2 * wingArea

Coefficient of lift is derived from wind tunnel testing based on wing design. Density is density of the air which decreases with altitude.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I have no idea what you just said, but I like it!

7. Darg

Darg Member

Sounds complex! Keep it up!

A note though that I'm sure you already know. The F16 (yes I read my Falcon 4 manual) operates best between 300 and 400mph. Above that and its maneuverability actually drops off steeply. Will this kind of effect be in the game too?

8. dnc

dnc Member

i think that when yo get promoted you should get a little less susceptible to g force... or you could have a pilot/driver class that have better speed on all vehicals AND BETTER RELOAD TIMES ON TANKS, (sorry about caps ts)...

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Manueverability drops off because you're g limited at those high speeds. You can theoretically turn faster due to speed being higher, but your extra speed also causes you to pull more gs as you turn which puts you to the limit sooner.

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

We've already been over Krenzo's extreme aversion to the concept of a driver/pilot class.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This all sounds awesome. Anyways, I'm going to buy an anti-nublet suit, because there will be LOADS of emp_recruits ALL OVER THE PLACE when aircraft are implemented :p

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Dear lord.

I need to get my "noob questions answered" keys bound.

13. Jn.

Jn. Member

I think all the aircraft that emp_recruits build should be dummy planes that don't cost anything, and run out of fuel a few seconds after takeoff. There's gotta be a way to see how long someone's been playing(just in case the noobeh changed his/her name)so anyone who hasn't played for X amount of time gets a dummy plane :D

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Ya... you can. Ns servers actualy can keep track of the steam id and log how many hours a person has played. Your server icon can get "upgraded" every set limit of hours. The Downside to this tho, is that its a per server tracking, not game wide one. Im sure that the K man could mod it to work. :)

15. Jn.

Jn. Member

That would be cool :D And just to be fair, the dummy plane comes with a parachute so the noobeh lands safely and can go wherever they please.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hahah that would be frickin hallarious

17. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

Sweet Krenzo, this sounds great. Formula is on point.

The noob problem will be easy to avoid. The commander will most likley lock the factory and produce what he wants and give it to who he wants. Aircraft should not be disposable.

I still think the liscense to fly/drive should be the changing of your name from EMP_Recruit. =P

18. Jn.

Jn. Member

But anyone can change their name :) and I hate it when the comm locks vehicle creation just because noobs can't be trusted. I'm saying, when a noobeh builds a plane, they get a free dummy plane that explodes a short time after :) They even get a parachute! I think I'm being reasonable. If you haven't played, say, for about 10-15 matches, you get a dummy plane!

19. dnc

dnc Member

its a good idea...

20. Jn.

Jn. Member

I know! It actually started out as a joke, but the more I think about it, it sounds like a valid idea. The noobeh can have his/her fun in an airplane for about 10 seconds, with no wasted res, which means no angry pros coming to the forums to vent about noobs and planes :p OR when the noobeh gets his free plane, they are teleported to a special area to practice their flying skills, and once they have gotten enough experience flying, or completed certain flying challenges, they can fly actual planes.