Addition to Viroman's .bat files

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Reznov, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Reznov

Reznov Member

Well I don't know if it's just me but I got very tired of not having Empires listed in my "Server" list. So I added following lines to Viroman's script:

Testpires.bat:
    Code:
    cd <steamname>\empires\empires

rename gameinfo.txt original_gameinfo.txt
    rename test_gameinfo.txt gameinfo.txt
    Steampires.bat:
    Code:
    cd <steamname>\empires\empires

rename gameinfo.txt test_gameinfo.txt
    rename original_gameinfo.txt gameinfo.txt
    Before you need to get those 2 gameinfo's though. Just rename the first gameinfo.txt to something else and change to the other version of Empires.

This fixes Empires not appearing in your Serverlist and for some reason it also fixed the Sync error when trying to end Steam after you played the test version.

Sorry had to make a new thread because the one with Viroman's files got locked...

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

As far as I know, his is supposed to swap your Empires folders (inside your username folder) so that you have a test folder, and a release folder, so this shouldn't happen.

But it does, so I'm confused.

3. Reznov

Reznov Member

Well, in my .bat files they just change the .gcf files. I guess the reason for not changing the folders is to keep the settings from Steampires so that you dont have to re-do everything. Only thing that was left though was the gameinfo.txt not changing so I made this thread.

4. Trickster

"cd trickster9012
    rename empires empires.test

rename empires.original empires"

That's in mine, and so I have 2 folders. Either way, I still don't have a server browser outside of the game, no matter which one I'm using.

5. Reznov

Reznov Member

Maybe the gameinfo.txt's in your folders are fcked up? Look if the Steampires and the Testpires folders have different gameinfo.txts.

Testpires should have "game: Empires SVN" and Steampires "game: Empires".

6. Trickster

Ok, thanks, I'll run it up after the test.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I don't know how steam works but, perhaps steam is confused that there are two folders of the same game id?

8. Trickster

Maybe, but I think that because the GCF is defining the folder name itself, it's just ignoring the extra folder that doesn't match up to anything.

As for what Reznov said, as far as I know you can set that title to be anything, I used to have it saying "With your mother" so it said "Trickster is now playing with your mother, click here to join". Although the steam release might have changed that.

I think the problem lies with the AppIds, with the test version using 218 and the real Empires using 17740. If you can confirm that you have the search function working then I'll discuss it with you and we can work out how to fix this for all testers.