A Steam_ID Based WHOIS

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by recon, Jun 3, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Anyone who works with DNS knows what a WHOIS search does. It tells you who owns the domain. I think it's time for a STEAM_ID based WHOIS.

I'm thinking that the community can gather the data by running the status game at the end of every game they play, run a con dump, and then using a special program, send them to a database. The database would auto-magically link steam ids with in game names and ip addresses. If someone uses more than one name, you can see a list of names they used.

Ideas? Thoughts?

2. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Steamids dont work that way, sorry.

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Hello big brother.

Also, you can check this with steamfriends if you were in game with them, and most stats plugins do this.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Sometimes it's hard to figure out who someone is when your playing, as people have recently started changing their names all the time. I would like to be able to type in a steam id and get a list of names that it has used. I'd rather have a plugin that every server used that kept a list of names and you could type !whois name | #userid and get the list.

There aren't many stat plugins for Empires. And when I played CS:S, there wasn't a command you could type to get a list of names associated with a steam id.

I don't get it... One steam id is assigned to each steam account (therefore, you could call it a GUID). My idea is to store what accounts are using which names so you can take a steam id and turn it into a name. How can a steam id not work for this?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Eth0 already had something like this running, but it was a bit of a memory hog and requested 300% of the processing power if it hanged, crashing the game server aswell.