A new research tree - Post your own

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So I've been thinking for a while that we should spice up the current research tree, or revamp it. About a year ago Deif and I did some scripts, and they were fairly decent. At the time I thought this at least anyway. But I finally got round to loading them up and now, I'm actually not so convinced anymore. Regardless, I went to a website to try and produce it graphically as an example. An example for what I'd like people to do, which is, submit their own ideas of a future research tree.

I used http://www.gliffy.com/ to do it (free trial, just register and you get 30 days online, no downloading required, use a disposable email if you want).

[​IMG]

This took me about 40 minutes or so to do. It's a bit difficult to understand, but I've no doubt some of you can find better ways to present your ideas. The reason I don't like this particular tree is because it looks pretty boring. It's really symmetrical, which doesn't really seem that exciting. But I've put it up as an example so you can see the kind of graphical interpretation of the tree that we're looking for.

So yeah, ITT we post research trees. Don't start spamming with "I LIKE THE CURRENT ONE DON'T CHANGE" because nothing is in any way set in stone. If there are no better propositions, nothing will change. This is really just brainstorming.

Things to note:

Times, costs, research/weapon names, none of these are important. LAYOUT is what matters here, nothing else.

You can use functions in the tree that don't exist if you want, it doesn't matter. Prerequisites however, are already functional.

2. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Why did you call the 6st logistics? (trolling)

Did you think of upgradeable weapons too? Or do they have to be completely removed?

edit: hm after a second thought I think your research tree would lead to only two paths being researched. Logistics (which would be a must) and any of the others which is considered to be best since all weapons would be equal only differed by the initial research.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. Trickster

I did point out that I hate the tree above, I just wrote it up as a graphical example of what I'm looking for.

The idea behind it was that Logistics was a must, but then you had to research 2 different trees to get hybrid weaponry. It's just too symmetrical to be that exciting imo. The concept isn't terrible though, keeping tanks and turrets away from the rest of the tree.

4. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I liked the one from deif and you (with autocannon etc.) why not posting them ase a basis and then alter?

5. Trickster

Oh, we also did (at one point) consider making it so heavies can only use Hybrid weapons. And Hybrid weapons we always really good at one specific thing, not everything, so you would still need mediums to support the Heavies. Anyway, why don't I see more ideas going up.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

As always, I would suggest removing the tree structure and simply having tiers, tier one unlocks basic stuff like minor cannon, armor, engine upgrades, tier two unlocks better stuff, tier 3 unlocks mediums and basic medium equipment, and so on until you hit the top. I don't think the tree adds anything, the choice of weapons can be made by individual players to counter individual threats on the battlefield, it doesn't need to be or benefit from being commander directed. The only rationale for having the commander do it is the devs continue to be unable to find a real role for the commander and so persist in making shitty contrived game limitations to try (and fail) to make the commander an 'essential' part of empires.

7. Trickster

Make graphical picture if you want people to notice your idea. Even if it's terrible.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Amusingly the last person I suggested it to requested the same thing, so I will post the same think I gave him. Realise that the notion that a linear research tree requiries a visual aid is painful to me.

[​IMG]

9. Trickster

My point is people wouldn't read your post and thus wouldn't give feedback on it. People just see picture and reply to that.

But horses are ok too.

10. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

So, if I understood right you like tiers, lines and blue horses,
    alright!
    Then let's make a research path called "blue horse" with tiers, which you can use to make research time to money, pay 300 res, wait 30 sec and get 1500 res!
    Also the Tiers unlock always more and better options with 3 different blue horse lines

Tier 1
    Line 1: 10 sec, 100 res research costs get 300 res
    Line 2: 30 sec for 300 res to 1500 res
    Line 3: 50 sec for 500 res to 3000 res
    Tier 2
    Line 1: 10 sec for 100 to 400 res
    Line 2: 25 sec for 350 res to 1500 res
    Line 3: 40 sec for 500 res to 3000 res
    etc
    Tier 3
    Line 1: 10 sec for 100 res to 500 res
    Line 2: 20 sec for 300 res to 1500 res
    Line 3: 30 sec for 500 res to 3000 res
    /serious suggestion, name is briliant
    Line 1: name Blue Pony
    Line 2: name Blue Horse
    Line 3: name Blue Unicorn

Idea behind this is to get moneys by selling your free research time to other fictional commanders or I don't know, enviromental activists ... dunno really,
    if your research team (radar) gets killed all your progress is lost like always, ofc

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  11. Trickster

Everyone is useless.

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

*wrists*

13. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

i havent been here in a long time and i need to know if this is going to be released (or even if its a serious post)

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

engine - standard + improved standard + better better standard
    armor - standard + improved standard + better better standard
    cannons - standard + improved standard + better better standard
    missles - standard + UML + better UMLS/salvos
    chasis - lts + meds + heavies(comes with nukes n rails) or arty(comes with ranged and HE)

special research to pick from these things - bio(moving while overheated and bio damage to cannons or missles) absorbant(faster cooling engines, better missle armor) reflective(faster engine, better cannon armor)

This all can be picked apart and changed but the general layout is there.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

In "logistics" have something like upgraded firearms or something like Lighter clips which allow a higher max clips.

16. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

brb gathering the brain trust

17. Trickster

16 replies in and no other suggestions yet except Chris0132. My faith in the empires community is dropping. I was under the impression every single player and his dog had an idea for a better research tree.

18. Mashav

Mashav Member

[​IMG]
    A couple months old, but it gets the basic idea across.
    A bunch of things aren't possible without code support, but around half the stuff(without balancing) is already done. The tree itself is done.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Quoting to waste more page space and to say... wow.

Nope.

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

I don't get mashavs research tree :/
    But I think it would change gameplay as much as my idea would so both would never get implemented...

edit: first time I use dropbox ^^

[​IMG]

Not all researches inside yet, I don't want to do much work of some hours which then gets shot down in 10 minutes...
    It's just the general idea
    Logistics would also contain other researches, I thought of decreasing of ammobox cooldown, improved GUIs (haha kidding) and stuff like that...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010