a few suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by paradinas, Jun 20, 2009.

1. paradinas

paradinas Member

Skill and weapon selection should be preserved by default if you switch away from your current class and then back.

Selecting "customize" on the vehicle screen seems unnecessary. If you want the stock loadout, just click next.

The commander dragging rectangles over enemy troops to provide targets seems silly. It involves no strategy; it's just make-work, and it's not fun. If I had designed Empires, I would give the commander an "attack this area" command, have the large radar buildings provide targets for all enemies in a much larger radius than cameras and radar dishes, and make targets for scouts lag maybe 10 seconds behind their actual position. Detection of vehicles should probably have a larger radius than detection of infantry.

Before I looked up the research tree on the wiki, I had expected there to be more infantry enhancement research. This seems to fit in with the story. As things are, vehicles improve over time but not infantry. This is also a possible way for there to be more differences between the sides, which are currently rather similar. If the RPG upgrades were better, the grenadier would match vehicle improvements, riflemen would be needed to kill grenadiers, etc. I would make RPG upgrades cheaper, and spread them through the research tree more. Maybe have a turn rate increase under electrical engineering. Possible other infantry upgrades: biological bullets, more health, more ammo, higher speed, decreased target radius, upgraded grenades with better effects and/or increased throw range.

RPGs seem like they should be more effective against infantry. I think they should do more explosive damage in a bigger radius. This could also be an upgrade, which should also increase mortar damage radius. Damage, explosion, and turn radius upgrades in separate parts of the tech tree seems good.

Also, the grenadier takes a long time to get ammo. Why does picking up ammo from an armory even need to take time? Armories should be more like TF2 resupply - as things are, a supply crate from an engineer outside the barracks is as good as an armory, and it's free.

If the reseach requires a big dish antenna, and happens very quickly, things being downloaded instead of researched seems to make sense.

Grenade launcher grenades being impact fused (as in real life) makes more sense.

Revive seems like it should take some amount of time.

I think enemy buildings should show up on the minimap, in a different color. That should make it easier to tell what is going on. Friendly buildings shouldn't be red on the minimap.

In real life, tanks can rotate in place. Having turn cause rotation rather than changing direction would make tanks easier to drive.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

First of all it's not optimal to write a long text with many suggestions. Discussing every point in one thread will not work.

Remember skill and weapon selection was already suggested. Also a remake of the vehicle screen.
    But both are good points.

Commander targets were also discussed in many threads. But there is no response from the developers if they want to change it or nor.

Also more infantry research was discussed before. And RPG was buffed a little in 2.24.
    But all suggestions toward balancing will result in endless discussions.

Research or download? Never thought about this. Download will make sense but players are familiar with research.

Grenade launchers are good in the current way. So you can throw on the corner.

Revive already was discussed many times. I like the current system, because you mostly need revive when you are also under heavy fire.

NF buildings are red and BE buildings are blue. Other colors would be confusing. And seeing always enemy building on the minimap would take away the strategy of surprise.

Empires doesn't care about realism. If tanks could rotate in one place, then we would only see spinning tanks to use all sides of armor. This will look very stupid.

3. paradinas

paradinas Member

OK, a mod can delete this then.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Not that your suggestions aren't great. It's just people tend to focus on one or two.