A few opinions...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Fireball, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Fireball

Fireball Member

I'd just like to see a few changes implemented:

1) Fix the turret / tree hitboxes? Right now, they're really buggy and in the rare circumstance I go scout, it's darned annoying to have a headshot lined up on a proned engineer, only to have the bullet hit the invisible sections around the turrets. Though, I do use this to my own advantage when I'm an engie myself :|

2) For the minimap, I'd like to see the superimposed grid revised so that you have the letter running across ONLY the top row, and numbers only on the leftmost column. The letters and columns should be nice and bright, too, because right now, I know it's really annoying to try to figure out the grid in your head, and it's sure disorienting for newer players (since grids usually start with A1 in the top left, whereas in Empires it seems to start from the bottom left...)

3) In the comm seat, I'd like to see that giving soldiers orders on an unbuilt building will give the "Construct / build structure order" instead of the "guard unit" order. This would help a lot especially with newer players who can't tell if you've dropped new buildings by the yellow square on their minimap. Also, it would be great if giving an order on a damaged building would give engineers the order 'repair building'.

4) In the comm seat, I'd also like to see a hotkey to select all soldiers in current view, and another to select all soldiers in your team. Also, hopefully at one point in time, the commander menu which allows you to view squads and its members will allow you to click on the squad name, or individual names to give orders to the entire squad, or individual players, respectively.

My two cents. Anyone else want to chime in about whether or not these suggestions are remotely valid?

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

3. Carnifex

Carnifex Member

I agree with 3 and 4 so much !

4. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

i think i have a good and ease to implement idea for ref building:

either add it to engineers target sensitive rose menu or make it react to someone saying "ref", as soon as its trigered the comm gets some sort of marker at the minimap, just like a rts flare

5. Reef

Reef Member

Better: when engineer says "ref" on teamchat and he is close to a free refinery spot, commander gets a message "refinery requested" with sound, just like it is used with "Player killed" (casulty), "building destroyed" (building lost), "viecle destroyed" (viecle lost).
    That seems to be easy to code and it would be very effective. Ah, one more thing: clicking on the message should teleport commander to the refinery spot, not to the engineer.
    Alternatively it could be selectable through the F menu (request from commander/refinery). That would give an option to request turrets, barracks, VFs and stuff... So I guess it seems to be a better solution than the first one.

To moderator: please split this topic so mine and manhunt0r posts are in a separate thread. Thanks.

6. Reef

Reef Member

Desclimer: doubleposting ONLY to ease splitting the thread by moderator. This post is about a minor idea and this topic is about thease tiny improovments that are not worth their separate thread. My previous post was a comment to manhunt0r's idea - and ideas that are commented should get a thread (thank god someone invented board moderators).

My idea is about the most common question in the game:
    And the solution is to:
    1. Unlock the "build" button if vehicle doesn't have an engine
    2. When "build" is pressed and vehicle doesn't have an engine, we display a POPUP window with message "You need to mount engine to construct a vehicle"

Alternative: add a "recepit" screen to the vehicle construction process where all parts are described with their prices, like 14*reactive armour (xxx each) = xxx. Then, if an engine (or armour type) is missing, it should be red as the Santa, Merry Christmas :)

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'd rather not see the build button when I can't build a tank, instead of wasting time and a click by having to click it to find out if i'm good to go.

8. davee magee

davee magee Member

why didnt you just make a new thread, and leave that first one for the suggestion that applies to this one... instead of ordering the moderators to do your dirty work for you.

9. Chahk

Chahk Member

You can do that already in the Units tab, can't you? Shows how long I haven't commanded.

10. Fireball

Fireball Member

I thought it would, but when I'm comming I keep trying to do it and it doesn't work.

Though I'm not trying to make this game into Natural Selection, I think that NS does have some refined points about the comm console that Empires could draw from.

Another suggestion:

"Request orders" hotkey for units, which brings up a notification message in the comm console which can let you jump to the request (also not sure if right now the "jump" key can be set to allow you to instantly jump to the notification area). Goodness knows how difficult it is to find guys when they ask you to mark targets for them.

11. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

You can see in what grid position you are in if you look at the white text in the bottom right. If you are in c6 it says c6 etc

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yes we all know that.. the problem is where is c6? look at the mini map.. it only shows you where it is on slaughterd and mvalley

most commanders either know where refs need to be placed by using common sense or by people who say things like "I need a ref north west"... people who say grid positions dont realize how confusing and janky that system is

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I give the position relative to the geography.

Like 'Enemy light tank moving along the river under the north bridge.'

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah shit like that works too.. like on the map duststorm there is two main spots.. the ruins and the middle

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

compas co-ords are best... i need help NW, etc.

16. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I disagree with number 1 (the turret part), It's how I keep the dumber scouts busy so my team can bum rush him, or counter snipe him. :D

17. Fireball

Fireball Member

Something else I've wondered about:

Is there a reason why recustomizing a vehicle requires the full cost of the vehicle (+/- difference of recustomization) before you can do it, even though the actual recustomization process only deducts / refunds the difference from the resource pool?

Being the dummy I am, I often assign incorrect weapon slots, say...on a super expensive heavy, and then I have to limp around playing with a gimped tank because a) I'm too dumb to have customized it properly in the first place, and b) my team insists on spamming jeeps or even worse, jeeps with 3 phase and composite.

I mean, wouldn't it be better from the get go if you could just charge the difference in the build menu? Not as much of an issue with the cheaper vehicles, but if you're retarded like me and manage to stick 3 cannons and several missile racks on the same slot and key....

18. sickre

sickre Member

All of those are good ideas, I'm looking forward to 2.2