A big change and solution to griefers

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by TeRmInAtEr2, Dec 8, 2007.

1. TeRmInAtEr2

TeRmInAtEr2 Member

They do it all of the time. A few of these in the upcoming version would be very nice for server owners and players alike because we all have to deal with these idiots.

1. Add a kill blocker. Griefers love to ruin games, and a very easy way of doing this is to spam kill in console causing a team to loose tickets very rapidly. I know in some cases it's justified to do this such as if you get stuck behind something, but maybe adding something to take care of those problems will end kill totally. Like using "stuck" in console would move you in a direction to help get you out of an object. Over all, remove kill. It's useless and gives idiots another tool for ruining a good game.

2. Only allow a certain number of vehicles per player. Griefers LOVE to spam jeeps or starter vehicles at the beginning of a round. it frustrates people and causes resources to drop to an all time low, causing the team who has the guy to loose the game. Not only this, but it frustrates and discourages players from playing after that round. To solve this, allow three vehicles per person (And by this, I mean created by that person). It really is becoming a big problem. I've had to ban mounds of people because of this.

I'll post more later. Just a few I wanted to get out.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I use kill very often. Walking is for newbs. Kill is a free 10 second transportation to a rax or apc. If tickets aren't an issue I will suicide sometimes upwards of 10 times a game.

3. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

1. No, I use Kill to get back to base if Im very far away and it's under attack or they just got heavy nuke tanks and I want to get there before the round ends. Not to spam, maybe once, usually when the APC im driving goes out too far, gets attacked by a tank and blows up after I get out, then I blow up the tank with rockets, then wonder how the heck Im gonna get home.

3. No, its not needed. Maybe just three jeeps per person.

4. TeRmInAtEr2

TeRmInAtEr2 Member

1. Okay, then how about a limited number of kills in console per person to use through one round? It seems simple enough, but it really needs to stop. Had to ban at least 6 people because of this, and really, it's a stupid reason.

2. (You mean 2....) Okay, three of each vehicle per person? I mean it's really stupid, but servers do limit vehicles if you have yet to hit the limit, and it really can cause a problem if 15 (used as max in a lot of servers) vehicles are scattered about and nobody can destroy them, thus resulting in a loss.

5. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

1. Or, maybe you can only suicide a few times per every few minutes or so. It would take a dedicated team of professional assholes to kill a round then.

2. That hasnt happened to me yet. Typically, if there's a tank out there with nobody in it, the enemy will break it pretty quickly. If not, it's out in the middle of nowhere, and most of the time they arent there on purpose. And why do people exit vehicles and run away other than being shot at?

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Terminater2: I use kill a lot. It doesn't mean that I'm bad or that I make my team lose. It's usually worth it to lose 1 ticket to be at some place earlier. Imagine an APC rush. APC is made at the start of the game and people are spread around the map. They have to suicide to spawn in APC before it reaches the enemy base. Banning people that use "kill" once a minute/few minutes would be brain-dead.

2. Vehicles are limited. If you see an idiot making lots of them just ban him. It's the same thing as shooting teammates with friendly fire but in this case it's obvious that person should be kicked/banned.

7. theBlind

theBlind Member

What about limiting players to create 1 vehicle per X minutes? (2-4 would be a nice timeframe here, imo).

Or, even better, give the players a vehicle credit limit: Players can build 3 vehicles.
    Each vehicle build removes 1 from that limit. Every X minutes, 1 is added to the limit, up to the max of 3.
    That way, you'd have a buffer for those fess ups and/or a tight base defence where you might legitimately create more than 1 vehicle per timeframe.

And no, don't remove kill, maybe limit it in the same way - 1 kill command per Y minutes.

The problem is not people doing those things, but people doing them very often to cause a significant impact on the team.

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

the blind's suggestioin doesnt sound bad

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

There should also be a way to vote kick people, implemented right into the game, the same way the commander vote works.

perhaps pressing the comma button should bring you a menu with two options.

on the left is a big button saying VOTE TO REMOVE COMMANDER, with a bar below it showing current progress towards removing the commander.

on the right is a list of names of everyone on your team. clicking a players name can start a vote to remove them from the game. once a vote for removing a person is under way, then this side shows only the persons name that needs to be removed. and a bar showing progress.

if you click to start a vote, you would also get an "are you sure?" box.

50% + 1 would be the general number to kick someone off, or it could be a server option.

I think that would be a lot better than introducing limits that could negatively effect general gameplay and still might not stop griefers.

10. TeRmInAtEr2

TeRmInAtEr2 Member

When did I mention ANYTHING about banning people who did it every few minutes? I said towards people who spam it. I don't care if you use it every few minutes to get back to somewhere, just the fact that people spam it and cost their team a significant amount of tickets.

Vehicles are limited SERVER SIDE. I'm talking about an individual client spamming jeeps or something similar, I said nothing about the server handling it. The whole entire issue is people are spamming it. You said something about banning them. What if there is no admin on? Or at least nobody monitoring RCON during that time. Live with it? There needs to be something put in that only allows x person to spawn x amount of vehicles in x amount of time, or however you would want it.

I don't really seem to understand in every post why you try and counter me with my own points. A bit boggling. Re-read the post before posting something from the blue.

11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

How about 2 suicides in a row will increase spawn time to a minute and 3 suicides in a row will = ban until map change.

There is already an emp_unstuck command for when you're stuck.

As for jeeps and griefers, there has been some talk about hte commander being able to restrict certain vehicle types. At the moment, however, you can always restrict the team from building vehicles and only allow the commander to build them.

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Use emp_sv_vehicle_selfdestruct_time to set the time until a vehicle starts to self-destruct. Default is 300 seconds, but change it to 40 or something in a packed server.

13. Black_out

Black_out Member

1. there nothing wrong with killing yourself because most game have 400 tickets and are nearly never used up.

2.should be a rule where a player can only have one active vehicle at a time so you would either have to get the vehicle killed to get a new one.

14. theBlind

theBlind Member

I don't like the one active vehicle at a time rule because I see legitimate situations where a player may ditch a tank in favor of artillery for example. I'd say solutions should not limit normal behavior.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

An admined server will solve every one of those problems...

16. thaile

thaile Member

Well the problem is he have had to ban people for doing when there is an admin on, but how bad is it when there isn't one on?

If people would read, he not talking about someone killing himself to get somewhere fast, he talking about someone killing himself every time he spawns to drain the team ticket away. That's about 6 tickets a min or 360 tickets in half an hour. Dee had a good solution to this, if someone suicides, respawns, and suicides again within like 20sec then increase his respawn timer. This way the most he can do is 60 tickets in 30min.

As for tanks your best bet is emp_sv_vehicle_selfdestruct_time and for the comm to restrict tanks.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

has anyone ever seen this done?

I tried suiciding over and over in a tester game a while back (not to grief) but I got bored after like 40 seconds... it's really dull.

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

just make it so you can only type kill in console once a minute, having to wait a minute to lose a ticket wont affect the game much, 60 tickets at the most probably, and id be surprised if anybody didnt get bored

as for vehicles limit it to 2 different vehicle types or building over 2 vehicles in 1 and a half (/ 2 minutes) results in you having to wait x seconds until you can build another.

19. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

Yea, but if you were an asshole who got pleasure out of ruining the game for others you would really get off on it. You see, you are a decent human being who enjoys playing the game more than being a douche, griefers are not.

I think that the real problem here is the people who do these things. The solution is to remove them from the equation. So here's my suggestion:

Allow the players on the server to vote kick someone (similar to the commander vote, as someone suggested earlier in the thread) and in addition to this make it so that if a person gets kicked, say, 3 times in a row they are blocked from the server for a half hour or something. Giving players the ability to perma-ban people from the server is reckless, but if the griefer is able to join immediately after he's kicked the players have no real power unless there is an admin around.

I think that this is a simple and elegant solution to the problem. Not even a griefer would bother sticking around if every 3 minutes of griefing equaled a half hour of temp-ban.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  20. GIGAR

GIGAR Member

I was playing the gleitcher map today (or whatever it's called) and some IDIOT walled in our spawn. We couldn't destroy the walls, since it was our own team, and we couldn't get out anyway else.
    Just tell me what the heck I was supposed to do? (re-entering the server is not an option, as it'll count for the same ticket)